Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by OrangeHokieFan View Post
    Raines can hoop but something has happened that he made JJ upset. I feel bad for him because it's his senior year and he would have continued to do well under Seth and probably wouldn't be spinning his wheels.
    Well given how our luck was under Seth, Raines would probably be out with a broken foot again.

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeHokieFan View Post
    Raines can hoop but something has happened that he made JJ upset. I feel bad for him because it's his senior year and he would have continued to do well under Seth and probably wouldn't be spinning his wheels.
    Correction: Raines can hoop when he wants to. I seem to recall a few times under Seth that his "want to" was questionable as well and led to some extended pine time or outright benchings.

Quote Originally Posted by StealYourFaceVT View Post
    Good thread, thanks for input.

I guess I'm just bummed that VT doesn't have that thing about them since Greenberg left. Yea, they didn't get in the tourney and they were screwed a few times, but there was a certain excitement about the program that died when he left. It's of no fault of JJ, but I now have the feeling of staring down the cellar as opposed to being a competitive giant killer.

Just seemed like the program had a lot of momentum and the firing had such bad timing that all excitement died.
    I've been pretty supportive of Greenberg, and don't really buy the arguments that it was time to go because we didn't make the tournament more than once, regardless of the number of near misses.

That said, I think we had established some very strong momentum -- negative momentum -- in Greenberg's last year, and that carried on into the postseason with the entire assistant coaching staff leaving. Honestly, I don't think we would have done much better than 13-19 last year with SG at the helm, Erick Green's contributions notwithstanding.

Quote Originally Posted by nvpbrown View Post
    I've been pretty supportive of Greenberg, and don't really buy the arguments that it was time to go because we didn't make the tournament more than once, regardless of the number of near misses.

That said, I think we had established some very strong momentum -- negative momentum -- in Greenberg's last year, and that carried on into the postseason with the entire assistant coaching staff leaving. Honestly, I don't think we would have done much better than 13-19 last year with SG at the helm, Erick Green's contributions notwithstanding.
    The question are... were the the assistants leaving due to the low pay &/or they felt the tension from Weaver so the left while the leaving was good. Also, if CSG stayed could he have kept Montrezl Harrell & Finney-Smith? That would have been a program changer.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoakie82 View Post
    The question are... were the the assistants leaving due to the low pay &/or they felt the tension from Weaver so the left while the leaving was good. Also, if CSG stayed could he have kept Montrezl Harrell & Finney-Smith? That would have been a program changer.
    Finney-Smith was gone regardless of what happened with Greenberg. Green may have been gone if Greenberg stayed. (I think that in the end he would have stayed.) Would Harrell have honored his commitment?

My opinion is that while Greenberg had done some good things, he had used up his time at Tech. I'd put him in the same category as Elmassian--very effective in short periods of time, but with a style that can turn people off over extended periods of time. There's nothing wrong with those types of people, as they can be effective change agents. After awhile, it is best for all involved if they move on. Greenberg had (more than) reached that point.

DFS was gone no matter what and Harrell was looking for any excuse to get out of his LOI because he blew up in the post season tourneys and had teams after him that never gave him a 2nd look before.

Quote Originally Posted by HokieJamie View Post
    DFS was gone no matter what and Harrell was looking for any excuse to get out of his LOI because he blew up in the post season tourneys and had teams after him that never gave him a 2nd look before.
    What was the deal with DFS? Never really got that either. Shame to see guys like him and Harrell doing so well on top 25 teams and knowing VT couldn't keep em around. Let Hancock slip out the back door too. Not sure if we ever went after him but he's had a lot of success at Louisville.

Quote Originally Posted by HokieJamie View Post
    Not in the end he wasn't but if CSG was truly happy in Blacksburg & the administration was happy with CSG who knows what DFS would have done. The whole vibe around the program would have been different. DFS definitely had talent. Unfortunately, we got his worst year. He could have used a red shirt year because he was just to skinny.
    Water over the bridge now.

Quote Originally Posted by StealYourFaceVT View Post
    What was the deal with DFS? .
    I don't know the exact details, but there was some family issues. (IIRC, momma wasn't happy)
    Drink better than eat.....eat better than no drink.

Quote Originally Posted by nvpbrown View Post
    That said, I think we had established some very strong momentum -- negative momentum -- in Greenberg's last year
    yeah, I don't know how anyone can feel like we were in a great place at that point

I can understand the arguments for keeping Seth, but we were not in a good place at the end of 11-12...that season was ugly...tied for last place in the ACC...and while the prior 4 seasons had been pretty good, by the end of those 4, I think a lot of people were disappointed because it seemed as though we could've/should've done better with 4 years of Delaney, Allen, et al