Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 122
  1. #41

    Join Date
    November 28, 1999
    Posts
    1,700
    Quote Originally Posted by Freddyburg Hokie View Post
    It absolutely would have been, if the intention was to fire him at that time. I don't think it was. I think he was truly given a "one more year" shot. But when all three assistants left, and he wasn't able to hire more, that changed Weaver's mind. At that point he had two choices: keep Greenberg with subpar assistants, if they could be found, or bite the bullet and get a new coach. Neither choice was optimal. And in deciding between the two, Greenberg's abrasive personality was one of the things that tilted the scales towards finding a new coach.

    Plus, I think Weaver always knew he had Johnson in his back pocket for the next coach. That helped in deciding to fire Greenberg, I think.
    Yes, Weaver didn't fire him after the season of the horrendous BC loss, but he also elected not to extend his contract, perpetuating a situation of job insecurity with the assistant coaches. What do assistants do when their HC doesn't get a contract extension? They look for more secure jobs! What is so amazing to me is that it appears that Weaver thought the assistants would just hang around until Seth's firing day without looking for better situations for themselves. Of course, that way Weaver wouldn't have spend any money to buy out Seth's remaining contract. And of course, as we all know in hindsight, that blew up in his face when all the remaining assistants decided to leave at the worst possible time. Weaver's handling of the whole situation was textbook bad.

  2. #42

    Join Date
    September 17, 2001
    Posts
    29,098
    Quote Originally Posted by NC Hoke View Post
    textbook bad.
    No textbook would have included that MO.
    "That's some catch, that Catch 22!" - Capt. Yossarian

  3. #43

    Join Date
    November 28, 1999
    Posts
    1,700
    Quote Originally Posted by TomTurkey View Post
    No textbook would have included that MO.
    LOL, for sure.

  4. #44

    Join Date
    November 03, 1999
    Location
    Roanoke, VA
    Posts
    8,466
    Quote Originally Posted by NC Hoke View Post
    Yes, Weaver didn't fire him after the season of the horrendous BC loss, but he also elected not to extend his contract, perpetuating a situation of job insecurity with the assistant coaches. What do assistants do when their HC doesn't get a contract extension? They look for more secure jobs! What is so amazing to me is that it appears that Weaver thought the assistants would just hang around until Seth's firing day without looking for better situations for themselves. Of course, that way Weaver wouldn't have spend any money to buy out Seth's remaining contract. And of course, as we all know in hindsight, that blew up in his face when all the remaining assistants decided to leave at the worst possible time. Weaver's handling of the whole situation was textbook bad.
    SG wasn't a lame-duck, his contract ran through 2016. And the assistant coach music chair act didn't start in 2011, it was going on earlier than that.

  5. #45

    Join Date
    October 08, 1999
    Location
    Elkridge MD
    Posts
    21,003
    Quote Originally Posted by NC Hoke View Post
    Its nice to beat Duke but sooner or later you have to finish or it really doesn't mean anything. Seth's inconsistent teams just couldn't get it done whether it was a "letdown" loss after beating a Duke or losing key resume games in November and December. A lot of our fans like to blame it on the NCAA committee but forget that Seth kept supplying the committee with the excuses it needed to exclude his teams from the NCAA tournament. It was a travesty that team never went to an NCAA tournament for the entire 4 years they were here and the BC loss was the last straw for me. Seth couldn't motivate his teams to get it done when he had the chances and then whined about the committee instead of accepting the responsibility for his own shortcomings. I didn't like the way Weaver handled him in the end but I'm glad we're moving on now. With both Seth and Weaver out of the picture and a new administration coming in I can finally be optimistic about the future of our basketball program again, because a lot of the reasons I believe that coaches and recruits weren't interested in our program are disappearing with those two guys - its a new day starting at VT and we are in a great conference to grow from. I particularly think that with Weaver's departure there will be a lot of new interest in our program and its potential by prospective players and coaches. And I'm not saying its time for JJ to leave, I think he needs to be given a chance to continue to recruit and coach under the new conditions. But he might not have such a problem any more trying to attract assistants or recruits who perceive a stagnate situation if they know he has the endorsement of the new administration.
    You're absolutely correct, in that each one of his teams lost some games that should have and did indeed supply the committee with the reasons needed to leave us off.

    But it's also worth noting that in the past 17 years, the only four or five Hokie teams that "supplied the committee" with enough wins so that we even got mentioned during their selection meetings, were all Greenberg teams.

    Hopefully JJ can be the first coach other than Greenberg since 1996 to even put a Hokie team in position to be talked about and rejected by the committe.
    SteveA

  6. #46

    Join Date
    November 28, 1999
    Posts
    1,700
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveInBaltimore View Post
    But it's also worth noting that in the past 17 years, the only four or five Hokie teams that "supplied the committee" with enough wins so that we even got mentioned during their selection meetings, were all Greenberg teams.
    True, but its also worth noting that Hussey and Stokes were the "other" coaches during those 17 years, historically 2 of our worst coaches during arguably our worst period of basketball. Besides, what's magic about '97 and beyond? Its not like Greenberg was the first and only coach ever to win games at VT.

  7. #47

    Join Date
    December 13, 2005
    Posts
    27,982
    Quote Originally Posted by NC Hoke View Post
    True, but its also worth noting that Hussey and Stokes were the "other" coaches during those 17 years, historically 2 of our worst coaches during arguably our worst period of basketball. Besides, what's magic about '97 and beyond? Its not like Greenberg was the first and only coach ever to win games at VT.
    It will be nice if we can get to the level again that Greenberg achieved. I can only imagine that he was guilty of a transgression that would get anyone in any job fired and that they signed a non disclosure waiver and parted ways. If he got fired out of cycle because of the assistant coach exodus or because of being a turd in AD meetings, well, that was short sighted on Weaver's part and undeniably set our program back.

    That said, I've watched the WVU game and 1st have of Mich St. game so I'm sort of bullish on our young players! I'm certainly rooting for James Johnson and the program's success. Go Hokies!

  8. #48

    Join Date
    November 28, 1999
    Posts
    1,700
    Quote Originally Posted by BG Hokie View Post
    It will be nice if we can get to the level again that Greenberg achieved. I can only imagine that he was guilty of a transgression that would get anyone in any job fired and that they signed a non disclosure waiver and parted ways. If he got fired out of cycle because of the assistant coach exodus or because of being a turd in AD meetings, well, that was short sighted on Weaver's part and undeniably set our program back.

    That said, I've watched the WVU game and 1st have of Mich St. game so I'm sort of bullish on our young players! I'm certainly rooting for James Johnson and the program's success. Go Hokies!
    I'm not only looking forward to seeing the program get back to playing at the level Greenberg achieved but also become competitive in making it to the NCAA tournament some years like some of our former successful coaches were able to do. I think the biggest barrier to that was Weaver himself and now that he is moving on we should be able to begin making positive steps toward that goal.

  9. #49

    Join Date
    January 01, 2005
    Posts
    6,467
    Quote Originally Posted by BG Hokie View Post
    I can only imagine that he was guilty of a transgression that would get anyone in any job fired and that they signed a non disclosure waiver and parted ways. If he got fired out of cycle because of the assistant coach exodus or because of being a turd in AD meetings, well, that was short sighted on Weaver's part and undeniably set our program back.
    Well, you're certainly entitled to your opinion but I seriously doubt CSG was guilty of any unknown transgressions. I just think CSG has taken the high road and moved along. VT is now in his rear view mirror.
    I believe it was more of a personality issue. The family excuse was garbage. Especially, after he had one daughter who played volleyball for VT & another who was a current cheerleader at VT. He even set up a table in the school cafeteria trying to keep students involved. The man may have been a bit of a pre-Madonna but he ran a solid program & showed a strong work ethic.
    You also can't fault him for the assistant coaching carrousel. Name one assistant that left just to get away by taking a step down or even a lateral move. There isn't any. Most got a promotion in responsibilities or at the very least a substantial pay increase.

  10. #50

    Join Date
    January 05, 2001
    Posts
    14,874
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoakie82 View Post
    Well, you're certainly entitled to your opinion but I seriously doubt CSG was guilty of any unknown transgressions. I just think CSG has taken the high road and moved along. VT is now in his rear view mirror.
    I would be SHOCKED if both parties didn't have to sign a non-disparagement when he left.

    btw, this is one of my favorite misspellings. I did the same for years. (pre-Madonna)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •