Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by NC Hoke View Post
    I had the same exact beef. That loss to BC was the one that did it for me with Greenberg. I feel that firing him at the end of that season would have been the right timing.
    To play devil's advocate, and I was a Greenberg supporter, to beat #1 and have a risk of not being up for BC is a consideration. Remember, it takes a lot more to beat a Duke than it takes for a Duke to beat VT.
    "That's some catch, that Catch 22!" - Capt. Yossarian

Quote Originally Posted by TomTurkey View Post
    To play devil's advocate, and I was a Greenberg supporter, to beat #1 and have a risk of not being up for BC is a consideration. Remember, it takes a lot more to beat a Duke than it takes for a Duke to beat VT.
    Its nice to beat Duke but sooner or later you have to finish or it really doesn't mean anything. Seth's inconsistent teams just couldn't get it done whether it was a "letdown" loss after beating a Duke or losing key resume games in November and December. A lot of our fans like to blame it on the NCAA committee but forget that Seth kept supplying the committee with the excuses it needed to exclude his teams from the NCAA tournament. It was a travesty that team never went to an NCAA tournament for the entire 4 years they were here and the BC loss was the last straw for me. Seth couldn't motivate his teams to get it done when he had the chances and then whined about the committee instead of accepting the responsibility for his own shortcomings. I didn't like the way Weaver handled him in the end but I'm glad we're moving on now. With both Seth and Weaver out of the picture and a new administration coming in I can finally be optimistic about the future of our basketball program again, because a lot of the reasons I believe that coaches and recruits weren't interested in our program are disappearing with those two guys - its a new day starting at VT and we are in a great conference to grow from. I particularly think that with Weaver's departure there will be a lot of new interest in our program and its potential by prospective players and coaches. And I'm not saying its time for JJ to leave, I think he needs to be given a chance to continue to recruit and coach under the new conditions. But he might not have such a problem any more trying to attract assistants or recruits who perceive a stagnate situation if they know he has the endorsement of the new administration.
    Last edited by NC Hoke; Sat Dec 07 2013 at 03:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by StealYourFaceVT View Post
    I never really looked into it/asked about it but I was talking with a friend last night about it and got curious. His theory was missing out on both Curry boys pissed the wrong people off. I really don't even remember if their was an official reason behind it, but I figured people on here would know more about the situation.
    Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't it Stokes that caused us to lose out on Steph Curry? I don't think that was SG

Quote Originally Posted by Tombo View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't it Stokes that caused us to lose out on Steph Curry? I don't think that was SG
    Consider yourself corrected

Its nice to beat Duke but sooner or later you have to finish or it really doesn't mean anything. Seth's inconsistent teams just couldn't get it done whether it was a "letdown" loss after beating a Duke or losing key resume games in November and December. A lot of our fans like to blame it on the NCAA committee but forget that Seth kept supplying the committee with the excuses it needed to exclude his teams from the NCAA tournament. It was a travesty that team never went to an NCAA tournament for the entire 4 years they were here and the BC loss was the last straw for me. Seth couldn't motivate his teams to get it done when he had the chances and then whined about the committee instead of accepting the responsibility for his own shortcomings. I didn't like the way Weaver handled him in the end but I'm glad we're moving on now. With both Seth and Weaver out of the picture and a new administration coming in I can finally be optimistic about the future of our basketball program again, because a lot of the reasons I believe that coaches and recruits weren't interested in our program are disappearing with those two guys - its a new day starting at VT and we are in a great conference to grow from. I particularly think that with Weaver's departure there will be a lot of new interest in our program and its potential by prospective players and coaches. And I'm not saying its time for JJ to leave, I think he needs to be given a chance to continue to recruit and coach under the new conditions. But he might not have such a problem any more trying to attract assistants or recruits who perceive a stagnate situation if they know he has the endorsement of the new administration.
    The BC loss was extremely frustrating, but keep in mind that BC was a pretty good team that year too. They were on the NCAA tournament bubble also and were in the middle of the ACC (if I recall correctly, they finished 9-7 in conference). I don't recall Seth's words after that BC loss, but I'm sure he was pretty disappointed with that loss, and would be surprised if he mentioned tournament committees. We still should've been in the NCAA tournament easily two years in a row, given the field and comparative performance...but I suppose that's ancient history at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Pylons View Post
    It probably was "more of a personal thing." And Seth probably got longer than most people who piss their boss off would.
    On top of being abrasive for years, SG basically called his boss out in the media I.E. the assistant coach situation. He couldn't stay after that.

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeHokieFan View Post
    ... I'd rather had Shaka Smart the year or two before...
    There was no chance Shaka Smart was coming to Tech. Zero.

Quote Originally Posted by Pylons View Post
    I wanted John Wooden.
    We'd have had a better shot at him, that's for sure.
    No trees were harmed in the making of this post. However, billions of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

I had the same exact beef. That loss to BC was the one that did it for me with Greenberg. I feel that firing him at the end of that season would have been the right timing.
    It absolutely would have been, if the intention was to fire him at that time. I don't think it was. I think he was truly given a "one more year" shot. But when all three assistants left, and he wasn't able to hire more, that changed Weaver's mind. At that point he had two choices: keep Greenberg with subpar assistants, if they could be found, or bite the bullet and get a new coach. Neither choice was optimal. And in deciding between the two, Greenberg's abrasive personality was one of the things that tilted the scales towards finding a new coach.

Plus, I think Weaver always knew he had Johnson in his back pocket for the next coach. That helped in deciding to fire Greenberg, I think.
    No trees were harmed in the making of this post. However, billions of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Quote Originally Posted by DanNUandVT View Post
    I don't recall Seth's words after that BC loss, but I'm sure he was pretty disappointed with that loss, and would be surprised if he mentioned tournament committees.
    Not after the BC loss, but after VT was passed over for the NCAA tournament field, when he questioned if the committee had an agenda to leave VT out of the field.

Then JW hired his old assistant coach as a burn more or less. No doubt about it, Seth Greenberg's team played defense. I miss being competitive

Quote Originally Posted by BROman Hokie View Post
    On top of being abrasive for years, SG basically called his boss out in the media I.E. the assistant coach situation. He couldn't stay after that.