Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by RapmasterAC View Post
    particularly our AD.
    I always thought VT had the worst luck during his tenure - injuries, diseases, family deaths - that kept us from reaching our potential. Seth was more parent than coach in many instances. I found his manner expressive and motivational. Heard him at an O&M tour event and wanted to run through the proverbial brick wall after hearing him speak. His appreciation of Bryan Randall as the "locker room coach" was inspiring. And we won some big games. Nope, I thought he was okay but many did not. Change has happened - good luck, JJ.
    "That's some catch, that Catch 22!" - Capt. Yossarian

Quote Originally Posted by Gobbler-100 View Post
    Those last two years (2010 and 2011) when we went 10-6 and 9-7 and didn't get in, we were the highest ranked team in Ken Massey's ratings (and I believe Sagarin's also) to not get in. Both years. The odds that the committee got it right in leaving us out both years are about as likely as getting struck by lightning.

I don't care if people call it a snub or not. And I don't want to even bother with wondering if there was some kind of conspiracy (I mean...did VT basketball rate having a conspiracy against it?). I think the most likely thing that happened is that over the period from 2008 through 2011 a narrative took hold that Virginia Tech was a bubble team, and that narrative just stuck no matter what. There's no doubt in my mind that we should've been in (from an analytical standpoint) in 2010. If you were going to pinpoint our "there's one of these every 5 years" snub then that was probably it. We probably should've been, like, a 9 seed. 10 at worst. 2011 we probably should've been in as an 11 or 12 seed, but that's getting into splitting hairs territory. 2008 was probably a last in/last out situation where Georgia winning the SEC tournament might've been what kept us out.

The biggest example of the bubble narrative taking hold, though, is probably from the 2009 season. We really shouldn't have even been in the discussion that season, but yet they kept bringing us up as having a chance to get that critical win that was going to put us on the right side of the bubble. It was absurd. We were an also-ran in league play. I don't even know how we got a 2 seed in the NIT that year. But everyone had decided we were America's bubble program by that point so, there you go.

Anyway...no worries about any of that kind of drama these days. We'd be lucky to get on the CIT bubble. :-)
    Good stuff and why the firing perplexed me a little bit. Anyone with sense knew VT deserved a shot in a few of those years. Had they been Maryland I don't think there would have been a question. One year VT kind of got snubbed by VCU getting in and they made the final 4 run, so a lot of people kind of forgot about that one.

Quote Originally Posted by King of Hokies View Post
    The CBI is a pay-to-play deal. "We" (meaning Jim Weaver) have never been interested in participating. I wonder if we'll hire an AD who wants our teams to play in the post season enough to drop a few 10s of thousands?
    It's a shame too because the ability to practice and get extra reps as a team into the post season is invaluable

Quote Originally Posted by dctitan49 View Post
    It's a shame too because the ability to practice and get extra reps as a team into the post season is invaluable
    Nah, in all of these years VT made a run in the NIT. One could argue that we may have lasted longer and had more practices by being in the NIT. What is most valuable that we missed is the pressure and exposure of playing NCAA tourney games..

Quote Originally Posted by gman86 View Post
    Nah, in all of these years VT made a run in the NIT. One could argue that we may have lasted longer and had more practices by being in the NIT. What is most valuable that we missed is the pressure and exposure of playing NCAA tourney games..
    I think if your season gets extended for a reason you're excited about, it could be a benefit.

If it's extended, but in a way that's kinda disappointing, or if you're extending it just to extend it, I question whether it's going to matter much.

Quote Originally Posted by Pylons View Post
    I think if your season gets extended for a reason you're excited about, it could be a benefit.

If it's extended, but in a way that's kinda disappointing, or if you're extending it just to extend it, I question whether it's going to matter much.
    I think that's relative to the situation. If you've got a team full of returning players I think any situation that involves post-season play is beneficial. However, if you've got a team full of graduating players it really depends on their determination.

Weaver made the statement Seth wasn't a "hokie family participant" saying he would miss certain meetings and had the wrong attitude. Probably those stupid hokie respect meetings. The timing for he was fired was God awful. See what Montrez and Finley Smith are doing now. We blew our chance with good players and got stuck with Rankin and walk ons. To beat it all the available coaches weren't very prolific. JJ was desperation and although I hope he pans out I'd rather had Shaka Smart the year or two before. I think it was more of a personal thing between Seth and Weaver that got him fired.

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeHokieFan View Post
    Weaver made the statement Seth wasn't a "hokie family participant" saying he would miss certain meetings and had the wrong attitude. Probably those stupid hokie respect meetings.
    Weaver was not alone...and it was not just "stupid hokie respect meetings."
    The timing for he was fired was God awful.
    yes
    See what Montrez and Finley Smith are doing now. We blew our chance with good players and got stuck with Rankin and walk ons. To beat it all the available coaches weren't very prolific. JJ was desperation and although I hope he pans out I'd rather had Shaka Smart the year or two before. I think it was more of a personal thing between Seth and Weaver that got him fired.
    I wanted John Wooden.

It probably was "more of a personal thing." And Seth probably got longer than most people who piss their boss off would.

Quote Originally Posted by gman86 View Post
    I think dctitan and King of Hokies were referring to years (like the last two) where we have not qualified for the NIT, but could conceivably have paid to play in the CBI.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Stewart View Post
    FTFY. My beef with Seth was his inability to get consistent effort out of his team. Beat #1 Duke one game, lose by 15 at home to a so-so BC team three days later ... with an NCAA bid on the line.
    I had the same exact beef. That loss to BC was the one that did it for me with Greenberg. I feel that firing him at the end of that season would have been the right timing.