Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2678910111213 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by DanNUandVT View Post
    If that had happened, we probably would have finished last in 2012-2013 and be on track for another finish at the bottom of the conference this year. Good save by Jim Weaver!
    Lol. +1 Weaver certainly did a great job of preventing the program from imploding! I hope he's had more luck hiring assistant coaches for JJ than when he was (for some reason) trying to hire them for Seth.

Quote Originally Posted by StealYourFaceVT View Post
    I never really looked into it/asked about it but I was talking with a friend last night about it and got curious. His theory was missing out on both Curry boys pissed the wrong people off. I really don't even remember if their was an official reason behind it, but I figured people on here would know more about the situation.
    After reading all these posts, I still don't know what truly went on between Seth Greenberg and Jim Weaver. The more that is written, the more muddled it gets. Now that Jim Weaver is retired, maybe he'll write a tell all book about his tenure as Virginia Tech's AD. Weaver's book will be entitled Hallway Confessions.

As for Greenberg, he seems to enjoy his new job at ESPN. He's spending more time with his family and has time to watch his youngest daughter play volleyball at Villanova.

If that had happened, we probably would have finished last in 2012-2013 and be on track for another finish at the bottom of the conference this year. Good save by Jim Weaver!
    What point about not being able to hire any capable assistants did you not understand?

I'm sure that there were probably people just like you amongst the Duke fan base when Coach K posted losing conference records his first three years there, not to mention losing more games in years two and three than he did in year one. Fortunately, the people calling the shots at Duke were smart enough not to listen. I hope the people calling the shots at VT are just as smart.

Quote Originally Posted by Hokiestud View Post
    What point about not being able to hire any capable assistants did you not understand?

I'm sure that there were probably people just like you amongst the Duke fan base when Coach K posted losing conference records his first three years there, not to mention losing more games in years two and three than he did in year one. Fortunately, the people calling the shots at Duke were smart enough not to listen. I hope the people calling the shots at VT are just as smart.
    I understand that you've said that "the program was getting ready to totally implode unless something was done". What was done doesn't seem to have stopped that implosion.

Unlike J.J., Coach K had prior head coaching experience when he was hired. I don't really care about Duke, though. J.J. wasn't getting head coaching offers elsewhere either, he was going to be an assistant elsewhere when we hired him back on the cheap...after paying all of our assistants on the cheap to begin with. I understand what you're saying about assistant coaches...it was already nearing the end of April and Seth hadn't yet replaced the two assistants that had left, plus it was a known issue at the time that Seth was on the hot seat. None of us really know what would have happened in the end on that front had Seth been retained. So we pulled the trigger and fired Seth (at seemingly a bad time in the off-season) and hired J.J. How quickly did those assistant spots get filled once Seth was gone? I thought it took a few months afterward to fully assemble the coaching staff. They must not have been lining up at the door even without Seth in town.

Like all of us, I want to see J.J. succeed as long as he's our coach. I'm not encouraged by the first year and a half, but I've also never called for J.J. to be fired either (at this point), even if I was disappointed with the hire in the first place.

I understand what you're saying about assistant coaches...it was already nearing the end of April and Seth hadn't yet replaced the two assistants that had left, plus it was a known issue at the time that Seth was on the hot seat. None of us really know what would have happened in the end on that front had Seth been retained. So we pulled the trigger and fired Seth (at seemingly a bad time in the off-season) and hired J.J. How quickly did those assistant spots get filled once Seth was gone? I thought it took a few months afterward to fully assemble the coaching staff. They must not have been lining up at the door even without Seth in town.Like all of us, I want to see J.J. succeed as long as he's our coach. I'm not encouraged by the first year and a half, but I've also never called for J.J. to be fired either (at this point), even if I was disappointed with the hire in the first place.
    JJ hired and announced his assistants within ten days of his hire as HC. The DBO hire was complete within a month.

Quote Originally Posted by Hokiestud View Post
    Probably the part where you keep saying Jim Weaver was the one hiring the assistants? Just guessing.

Quote Originally Posted by I love VT! View Post
    JJ hired and announced his assistants within ten days of his hire as HC. The DBO hire was complete within a month.
    Thanks for the correction, you are correct. Perhaps I was thinking about Byington's departure after last year and the length of time with that assistant position open before Moore was promoted from DOB.

I don't know if it's a reflection of the basketball program, this website, or just the vBulletin format, but I don't think it's a sign of health when a post started December 5th is at, or is or close, to the top of the board.

And I agree, OLH. If this post indicates anything, there's no certainty about what happend with Seth's departure, aside from the fact it was poorly timed.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Line Hokie View Post
    After reading all these posts, I still don't know what truly went on between Seth Greenberg and Jim Weaver. The more that is written, the more muddled it gets. Now that Jim Weaver is retired, maybe he'll write a tell all book about his tenure as Virginia Tech's AD. Weaver's book will be entitled Hallway Confessions.

Quote Originally Posted by StudentHokie View Post
    I don't know if it's a reflection of the basketball program, this website, or just the vBulletin format, but I don't think it's a sign of health when a post started December 5th is at, or is or close, to the top of the board.
    if you're sorting by last post time, it's not really a reflection of anything other than it's a thread with staying power

Quote Originally Posted by StudentHokie View Post

And I agree, OLH. If this post indicates anything, there's no certainty about what happend with Seth's departure, aside from the fact it was poorly timed.
    It's a reflection of a lack of understanding how VB forums work. Nothing more, nothing less.