Page 1 of 13 123456711 ... LastLast

What really happeed with Greenberg?

I never really looked into it/asked about it but I was talking with a friend last night about it and got curious. His theory was missing out on both Curry boys pissed the wrong people off. I really don't even remember if their was an official reason behind it, but I figured people on here would know more about the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by StealYourFaceVT View Post
    I never really looked into it/asked about it but I was talking with a friend last night about it and got curious. His theory was missing out on both Curry boys pissed the wrong people off. I really don't even remember if their was an official reason behind it, but I figured people on here would know more about the situation.
    Pissing people off definitely had something to do with it, but not because of the Curry boys.

His level of success couldn't make up for the rate at which he pissed people off is the way I see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pylons View Post
    Pissing people off definitely had something to do with it, but not because of the Curry boys.

His level of success couldn't make up for the rate at which he pissed people off is the way I see it.
    What are some examples? I liked that he kept teams competitive and appeared to care about the program. Didn't he buy up NIT tickets on multiple occasions and give them away so the place would be packed? Just never really knew what it was that caused him to get the boot.

There is no denying he put VT on the map. Yea, the tourney mess irritated people but there was rarely a time Duke/UNC would play VT and not have their hands full. Just figured it had to have been something off the wall to get fired, especially after taking the program to new levels.

What are some examples? I liked that he kept teams competitive and appeared to care about the program. Didn't he buy up NIT tickets on multiple occasions and give them away so the place would be packed? Just never really knew what it was that caused him to get the boot.

There is no denying he put VT on the map. Yea, the tourney mess irritated people but there was rarely a time Duke/UNC would play VT and not have their hands full. Just figured it had to have been something off the wall to get fired, especially after taking the program to new levels.
    You're thinking of only public things. SG was a great PR guy. It was interpersonal relationships where he had issues. (this is based on no real first-hand knowledge, but from lots of things I've read on this board and things I've heard from people elsewhere)

Quote Originally Posted by Pylons View Post
    You're thinking of only public things. SG was a great PR guy. It was interpersonal relationships where he had issues. (this is based on no real first-hand knowledge, but from lots of things I've read on this board and things I've heard from people elsewhere)
    Yeah, according to some, he was "certifiably insane". ;^)
    No trees were harmed in the making of this post. However, billions of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

We all liked that.

Unfortunately he could never win enough or recruit enough to get over the hump...or get his team to show up for a meaningful OOC game...or keep a roster intact.

Meanwhile behind the scenes he was really grating on a number of people in the athletic department, particularly our AD. His ego was writing checks he couldn't cash with his performance.

So our AD did the prudent thing and waited to fire him until it was too late to make a meaningful hire or do proper recruiting in the spring.

That's the gist of it.

Quote Originally Posted by RapmasterAC View Post
    So our AD did the prudent thing and waited to fire him until it was too late to make a meaningful hire or do proper recruiting in the spring.

That's the gist of it.
    Lol +1. It was all part of the master plan!

What really happeed with Greenberg? I never really looked into it/asked about it but I was talking with a friend last night about it and got curious. His theory was missing out on both Curry boys pissed the wrong people off. I really don't even remember if their was an official reason behind it, but I figured people on here would know more about the situation.
    You get bonus points for combining Greenberg's dismissal with the Curry recruitment (or lack thereof). I'm not sure I've ever seen anyone do that, at least, not as a thread starter.
    Always use "Reply With Quote", so everyone knows to whom you're responding.

Unfortunately he could never win enough or recruit enough to get over the hump...or get his team to show up for a meaningless conference game...or keep a roster intact.
    FTFY. My beef with Seth was his inability to get consistent effort out of his team. Beat #1 Duke one game, lose by 15 at home to a so-so BC team three days later ... with an NCAA bid on the line.

His ego was writing checks he couldn't cash with his performance.
    Nicely put.

Again, nicely put.
    Always use "Reply With Quote", so everyone knows to whom you're responding.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Stewart View Post
    FTFY. My beef with Seth was his inability to get consistent effort out of his team. Beat #1 Duke one game, lose by 15 at home to a so-so BC team three days later ... with an NCAA bid on the line.
    How many of those times did VT have a legitimate chance with the committee to earn an at-large bid? I pose that question because we have all heard stories (whether true or not) how things can sometimes get political behind the closed doors. For example a committee made of mostly non-BCS schools deciding that fewer at-large bids should go to BCS schools that year. Also, I heard a report that Greenberg and the committee chair (at the time) had a bit of "history" between them going back to the days when he was at Long Beach St. I am not saying that it definitely kept VT out of the NCAA Tournament, but it could have been a factor especially since the committee chair was a former head coach at a rival Big West school. People can hold grudges over something petty and will even go so far to seek revenge against that person (i.e. cost them a job, election, etc). If it can happen in other arenas, then why should we assume it doesn't happen in college athletics? As the saying goes, 'revenge is the best dish when served cold.' I can't think of a better way to get revenge on a head basketball coach than to keep his team out of the most prized tournament.