Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by stevetheking View Post
    There's no way around it. If you are Scot Loeffler you have to be at least a little embarrassed by how good Auburn has been just one year after he was the OC.

That doesn't mean Loeffler is not a good coach, but the fact is that Loeffler left and Auburn almost immediately got MUCH better.
    No he doesn't. He wasn't the reason they were bad in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by HokieJamie View Post
    Different systems and different talent. Did you watch Auburn last year? Their QB situation was a complete disaster and the kid that was their starter they moved to safety this summer.

let me repeat that. The starting QB from last season now plays....safety.

Now you go win with that in the SEC. Good luck.
    Yep. He was screwed before he started his first day of work. I've kind of wondered why he took the Auburn job in the first place.
    "Knowledge is good"

--Emil Faber, 1904

Also the talent and resource disparity between Auburn and VT can't be emphasized enough in this kind of comparison. Auburn had a roster full of top 10 recruiting classes and the holes it had to fill in the offseason were filled with JUCO players. That's like an NFL team having access to the free agent market. VT doesn't have that option.
    Last edited by crabcake77; Tue Dec 03 2013 at 12:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by crabcake77 View Post
    Also the talent and resource disparity between Auburn and VT can't be emphasized enough in this kind of comparison. Auburn had a roster full of top 10 recruiting classes and the holes it had to fill in the offseason were filled with JUCO players. That's like an NFL team having access to the free agent market. VT doesn't have that option.
    Are you sure VT doesn't have the option to sign JUCO players or did you mean that VT (Beamer) does not want to actively recruit JUCOs? I ask because I can think of a couple JUCO players (i.e. Kevin McCadam) who have played for VT. I think technically players who attend Fork Union or Hargrave for 1 year are considered JUCOs even though it does not have the same stigma associated with your stereotypical JUCO player.

No, I thought he was a questionable hire to start with. Grimes, on the other hand, was a good hire.
    Quote Originally Posted by kingofcassell View Post
    War eagle

It's all relative right now. The offense situation couldn't have got much worse so a change was necessary. If things don't improve in year 2 then I'd say, in hindsight, that it wasn't a great hire. It does make one wonder how you could go 0-8 in SEC with that talent. In his defense this years AU players already knew GM system so it's not crazy to think they would be good, but so far it has appeared to be a lateral move.

Give his recruits a couple years to develop into his system then look back at this situation.

Quote Originally Posted by VTHokie2000 View Post
    Are you sure VT doesn't have the option to sign JUCO players or did you mean that VT (Beamer) does not want to actively recruit JUCOs? I ask because I can think of a couple JUCO players (i.e. Kevin McCadam) who have played for VT. I think technically players who attend Fork Union or Hargrave for 1 year are considered JUCOs even though it does not have the same stigma associated with your stereotypical JUCO player.
    I'd like to know the answer to this as well. I don't think it's the football program's decision here. I had heard it was academic related. Perhaps someone in the know could tell us about this. Corey Moore is the best example of a successful JUCO transfer, along with McCadam who had to go JUCO due to a family crisis, not academics.
    To the OP's question, no. SL was only there one year, not time to recruit his own players or put in his own system. He had no good QB.
    And someone on another thread rightly pointed out that the OL that's making it all happen at Auburn was coached by Coach Grimes.
    As to the Moorehead hire, I can see the improvement in the receivers from the beginning of the year when he had only one experienced (yet injured) receiver in Coles. I like what I have seen.
    REALLY liked what I heard Beamer say last night on TTL....that this is best group of recruiters he's ever worked with!

Quote Originally Posted by stevetheking View Post
    There's no way around it. If you are Scot Loeffler you have to be at least a little embarrassed by how good Auburn has been just one year after he was the OC.

That doesn't mean Loeffler is not a good coach, but the fact is that Loeffler left and Auburn almost immediately got MUCH better.
    No he doesn't. Tell us, what position last year's Auburn QB is playing?

Quote Originally Posted by StealYourFaceVT View Post
    It's all relative right now. The offense situation couldn't have got much worse so a change was necessary. If things don't improve in year 2 then I'd say, in hindsight, that it wasn't a great hire. It does make one wonder how you could go 0-8 in SEC with that talent. In his defense this years AU players already knew GM system so it's not crazy to think they would be good, but so far it has appeared to be a lateral move.

Give his recruits a couple years to develop into his system then look back at this situation.
    Agreed. The fact we had to start a true freshman at tackle this year tells you how thin we were. This was going to be a year of struggles, no matter who was coaching.
    "Knowledge is good"

--Emil Faber, 1904

Quote Originally Posted by HokiePoq View Post
    Corey Moore is the best example of a successful JUCO transfer
    Didn't Corey Moore only play one year of JUCO before transferring to VT?