Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910
    Auburn was 100th in total O the year before Loeffler got there. It's not like he took over a juggernaut.

Knowledge is good.

-Emil Faber
    "Knowledge is good"

--Emil Faber, 1904

is he responsible for recruiting some of the players responsible for this this year?
    Quote Originally Posted by kingofcassell View Post
    War eagle

Quote Originally Posted by Old Line Hokie View Post
    No. Auburn's success is all about Gus Malzahn. Malzahn recruited and coached (OC and QB coach) many of this year's Auburn team before going to Arkansas State for one year. It looks like Auburn's success in 2010 came from Malzahn's offense and tutelage of Cam Newton. Gene Chizik was very successful with Malzahn on his staff. Without him, Chizik went 3-9 (0-8 in SEC) in 2012 when Malzahn left for Arkansas State. Loeffler was there for only 1 year. IMHO, I think Loeffler would've been a successful OC/QB coach at Auburn under Malzahn.
    You know that says alot about Malzhan and not much about scott.

Quote Originally Posted by BeamerBallin View Post
    You know that says alot about Malzhan and not much about scott.
    There is not much you can take away from Scot's one year from Auburn. No pro-style OC was going to be successful there last year.

Quote Originally Posted by NCHokie83 View Post
    The problem is... do we have 10 years to wait around for Loeffler to get this offense playing well?

All indications point to Beamer retiring after the 2016 season. No matter how much better the offense looks under Loeffler than it did under Stiney, if they keep putting up 100th ranked units nationally to compliment an elite defense, its really not a stretch to think he simply will not be retained under the new head coach.

And to answer the original question... Yes, Auburn going to the National Championship this year after being so bad offensively last year HAS to make you re-evaluate the Loeffler hire a bit. Yes, he may have just suffered from being under Chizik, but his offense went from being ranked near the bottom of all of college football to now a win away from the National Title the minute he was let go. How can that NOT make you re-evaluate it a bit? (in my opinion, still not his fault, the talent just sucked that much)
    If I understand this correctly, you are leaving out the 2011 season with Malzhan on staff as the OC. Granted, it's still the same guy involved Cam winning MNCs as well as currently in the MNC game this year. he did have a 8-5 (4-4 in conf) record in 2011 about the same as the 2013 hokies. Obviously, that does not compare with CSL o-fer record in 2012. Maybe there was something going on in Auburn that Malzhan saw and that is why he left the year before Chizik was fired or maybe Chizek told him how to do his job. I dunno. Auburn talent was/is not a problem, having the wrong guy at QB can be.

Cam Newton running the spread in college, Auburn could have won it all that year without Malzhan imo with a good Xs and 0s coach running the spread.

So i guess the upshot is that CSL needs more time. I tell you what. If we beat UCLA, I am certain the hires are good hires. If we don't resort back to give him time.

Quote Originally Posted by NCHokie83 View Post
    Yeah. That's a huge red flag, and it is worrisome about our future. Their only wins were against Alabama A&M, UL-Monroe, and NM State. They did not score more than 21 points in any SEC game last year. 7 times against their SEC slate they failed to score 20 points. They were shut out in their final 2 SEC games. Yes, the talent might not have been there, but come on, you can't tell me that they replaced THAT many important pieces in one offseason to go from something that anemic and awful to one that just put up 59 in the SEC title game against the #5 team in the country and is now 1 win away from the National Championship.

It does make you wonder just how low the ceiling is under Loeffler. Yes, the team is playing better, but he has not shown an ability to lead a successful offense at the BCS level. Right now, his biggest selling point is that he coached Tom Brady at Michigan. To clarify what I said with my last comment... I don't think you can fully blame Loeffler or even give him a majority of the blame for how bad Auburn was last year, but that doesn't mean you can't pin a lot of it on the way he ran his offense.
    Yeah, your post is kind of hard to ignore

Quote Originally Posted by Groff View Post
    IMHO the saddest part of all this is that it's till painfully obvious how much better of an OC he is than the guy whom he replaced.
    yeah

This makes me wonder....

If folks outside of Georgia Tech think our defense is a ton better in 2013 than it was in 2012.
    Jacket fans to a man are all pretty confident that our defense is a ton better with Coach Roof. I am of the belief we are better... yet we still had big collapses this year vs Miami, Clemson, and Georgie... lack of depth or maybe we really aren't any better... Maybe our D being better is a bunch of hopeful fan group think. (I'd argue we stopped no one 2012 and at least we stopped bad teams in 2013).

Anyway as a casual observer / outsider, I am a little surprised anyone thinks VPI O is better in 2013 than in 2012. Maybe I forgot how bad it was in 2012.... but it is hard to believe it could have been worse than what I saw in 2013. Maybe I missed the bright spots?

Anyway reading this post made me wonder if us on the flats aren't guilty of the same wishful thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by BeamerBallin View Post
    yeah

Quote Originally Posted by helluvaeng96 View Post
    If folks outside of Georgia Tech think our defense is a ton better in 2013 than it was in 2012.
    Jacket fans to a man are all pretty confident that our defense is a ton better with Coach Roof. I am of the belief we are better... yet we still had big collapses this year vs Miami, Clemson, and Georgie... lack of depth or maybe we really aren't any better... Maybe our D being better is a bunch of hopeful fan group think. (I'd argue we stopped no one 2012 and at least we stopped bad teams in 2013).

Anyway as a casual observer / outsider, I am a little surprised anyone thinks VPI O is better in 2013 than in 2012. Maybe I forgot how bad it was in 2012.... but it is hard to believe it could have been worse than what I saw in 2013. Maybe I missed the bright spots?

Anyway reading this post made me wonder if us on the flats aren't guilty of the same wishful thinking.
    You guys should have kept Algroh

Quote Originally Posted by kingofcassell View Post
    War eagle
    No, not at all. Loeffler did not have a decent QB last season and he was trying to run his offense with players that had been recruited for an entirely different system. This year Auburn has an all-American caliber game-breaker at QB and they're running the spread system for which their players had been recruited.