Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

My guess is ESPN would have some kind of ownership stake in an ACC channel, like FOX and the Big 10 network.

If White is actually talking about this in public, its probably going to happen. Also, when you look at that statement re: VT's athletic budget going up, WAY up in the near future...hmmm, one must stroke one's chin reflectively.

Quote Originally Posted by MPHOKIE View Post
    Sounds peachy. However, my question remains: What is the motivation for ESPN to make this happen? They own all the inventory. They show the best basketball games on their main channels and there aren't enough good football games in the ACC to generate national interest in a channel.

Quote Originally Posted by CobbCountyHokie View Post
    The Big 10 network is a Fox property. For all intents and purposes, ESPN has already "lost" the Big 10 to Fox.
    What I am referring to are the Tier 1 rights--which ESPN currently owns and come up for bid again in 2016.

espn has 100% ownership in the SEC channel. IIRC, espn gives a canyon full of money to $EC. espn then sells the channel and reaps any expected profits.

IIRC the Big10 Channel is 51% owned by Big10 and 49% owned by Fox.

Further, IIRC, PAC12 owns 100% of the PAC12 Channel.

Most of the stuff I've read has ACC Channel coping $EC model.

Quote Originally Posted by mancunian View Post
    My guess is ESPN would have some kind of ownership stake in an ACC channel, like FOX and the Big 10 network.

If White is actually talking about this in public, its probably going to happen. Also, when you look at that statement re: VT's athletic budget going up, WAY up in the near future...hmmm, one must stroke one's chin reflectively.
    Last edited by Atlee Hokie; Tue Dec 10 2013 at 04:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Atlee Hokie View Post
    espn has 100% ownership in the SEC channel. IIRC, espn gives a canyon full of money to $EC. espn then sells the channel and reaps any expected profits.

IIRC the Big10 Channel is 51% owned by Big10 and 49% owned by Fox.

Further, IIRC, PAC12 owns 100% of the PAC12 Channel.

Most of the stuff I've read has ACC Channel coping $EC model.
    Hope the ACC Channel isn't copying the SEC model. Have a feeling the ACC will be shortchanged by ESPN...probably half of the cash we generate will be handed off to their "favorite son"(AKA the SEC). I far prefer the 51-49% model (in our favor, of course), so we'll at least get our share of our profits.

If you want to see how equitable our deal with ESPN is, just look where the ACC ranks in television revenue, especially compared to footprint. Dead last in the top five BCS conferences, and I'm sure ESPN has no intent to have us close the gap on the SEC...at least not more than a token gesture.
    "You start a conversation you can't even finish it
    You're talkin' a lot, but you're not sayin' anything
    When I have nothing to say, my lips are sealed
    Say something once, why say it again?"
    - David Byrne

Quote Originally Posted by Late 80s Hokie View Post
    Excellent point, and to build on it. Let's consider the case of "Monday Night Football". For years, Monday night football was "THE Game". The biggest one of the week, the most watched of the week. The NFL established a Sunday night game....eh, not big deal, ESPN got the rights to that for a (relative) bargain.

Then they promoted the hell out of it. So much so that the SUNDAY night game became the big game, ESPN lost the contract in a bidding war, but got the damaged property - Monday Night Football.

Anyone want to bet that Monday night football might re-emerge as the ratings leader?
    No chance.