Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I would not be surprised to see the MSG as part of the ACC tourney rotation. The tourney will still mostly end up in Greensboro/Charlotte, with rotations through ATL, DC and NYC.

The C7/Big East has the contract with MSG, but MSG has out clauses if the NBE can't meet attendance requirements. IMO, they won't, as GTown is really the only big attendance driver left. No more SYR, ND, UCOnn, Lville, Pitt, who were likjly 5 of the top six attendance drivers. The NBE will need StJohns, Seton Hall, Xavier, Villanova to really step up to fill the garden on Friday and Saturday night of tournament weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Truthahn View Post
    This bit is interesting, too: “But at the same time, there’s a whole bunch of us that would love it (NYC hosting the ACC tournament), I don’t know how it all plays out, but I would like the ACC to have a very strong relationship with New York City. I’d be much less than honest if I didn’t say that. That’s the biggest media market in the world, great opportunity, and every one of our schools does LOTS of business up there, and I use that in the broadest context. … It’s right in the midst of our footprint, so to do something up there with some level of frequency is important."

We need to move the BB tournament to NYC asap, at least every other year.
    BCS level college football is a resource war, not a morality play.

Quote Originally Posted by Freddyburg Hokie View Post
    Carriers are already pushing back against that in a pretty big way, though. Speculation is that ESPN might have to rebrand ESPNU as the SECNetwork, with carriers not wanting to add another channel to pay for every month.
    And if ABC/ESPN/Disney says to cable companies "either you buy all of our channels or you get none of them" what do you think the cable companies will do? Time Warner got spanked by CBS/Showtime in their recent carriage fee dispute. If your cable company no longer carried ABC/ESPN/Disney, would you keep paying them outrageous sums of money every month or would you switch to satellite/FIOS/ATT U-verse that does carry it?

ESPN could also just do an end-run around cable companies and tell customers that "if your cable company does not carry the ESPN family of networks, you can just pay us $20/month directly for internet access to ESPN3".
    Last edited by 133304Hokie; Mon Nov 25 2013 at 12:42 AM.

Outstanding article. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by HOO86 View Post
    We've had a long delay between discussion about the ACC Network. It was discussed a lot in July when the new members joined and the Grant of Rights was promoted. Then crickets. And Swofford is always vague.

But Duke AD, Kevin White, who is on the committee for the ACC Channel is now predicting 2016. I thought it was interesting. He lost me a bit with his McDonald's, Burger King, Wendy's analogies. But I think I read it that he sees the ACC moving into second place behind the Big Ten Financially for the long term. Thought you all might be interesting in reading it.

http://www.dailypress.com/sports/tee...0,1385903.post

The ACC tournaments will be in NYC it is just a matter of when and which venue. Not every year, but who knows on that in the long run. Once they get a taste of the world wide attention you get from being in NYC...things could change. If the ACC football championship game stays in Charlotte, one could make a hard argument that they need to counter balance that and go north with the basketball. I know the Carolina 4 would have a fit, but remember there are 11 other votes in basketball now. Also remember with the discount flights they are almost as cheap as gas both ways in an automobile and direct from many airports.

Quote Originally Posted by PadrosWindup View Post
    I would not be surprised to see the MSG as part of the ACC tourney rotation. The tourney will still mostly end up in Greensboro/Charlotte, with rotations through ATL, DC and NYC.

The C7/Big East has the contract with MSG, but MSG has out clauses if the NBE can't meet attendance requirements. IMO, they won't, as GTown is really the only big attendance driver left. No more SYR, ND, UCOnn, Lville, Pitt, who were likjly 5 of the top six attendance drivers. The NBE will need StJohns, Seton Hall, Xavier, Villanova to really step up to fill the garden on Friday and Saturday night of tournament weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Stech View Post
    The ACC tournaments will be in NYC it is just a matter of when and which venue. Not every year, but who knows on that in the long run. Once they get a taste of the world wide attention you get from being in NYC...things could change. If the ACC football championship game stays in Charlotte, one could make a hard argument that they need to counter balance that and go north with the basketball. I know the Carolina 4 would have a fit, but remember there are 11 other votes in basketball now. Also remember with the discount flights they are almost as cheap as gas both ways in an automobile and direct from many airports.
    The Barclay's Center has been bringing in some big events. I wouldn't be surprised to see them grab a big conference tournament. I know MSG has the name and history with it but right now Brooklyn has a much nicer and up to date venue.

I think the Atlantic 10 is in Barclays

I think Barclays has the Atlantic 10 now for the next several years, and MSG is locked to the Big East for 10 years or so. So, unless we went to the Prudential Center in Newark, we would have to wait out those contracts. The Prudential Center is a train ride from Manhattan.

I would prefer to move it to either Barclays or MSG permanently, but it needs to be every other year in NYC at least. Actually, maybe the thing to do is work out with the Atlantic 10 to split a venue every other year. That way, we could do down South every other year, and they could do Philly or DC, etc in the off years. The venues up there seem to want long term, every year, deals.

I wonder if the Big 10 has the same issue as us, in that they want to keep having theirs in the Midwest in most years? Otherwise, I would expect them to move theirs to NYC, too.

Quote Originally Posted by HokieDevil View Post
    The Barclay's Center has been bringing in some big events. I wouldn't be surprised to see them grab a big conference tournament. I know MSG has the name and history with it but right now Brooklyn has a much nicer and up to date venue.

Excellent point, and to build on it. Let's consider the case of "Monday Night Football". For years, Monday night football was "THE Game". The biggest one of the week, the most watched of the week. The NFL established a Sunday night game....eh, not big deal, ESPN got the rights to that for a (relative) bargain.

Then they promoted the hell out of it. So much so that the SUNDAY night game became the big game, ESPN lost the contract in a bidding war, but got the damaged property - Monday Night Football.

Anyone want to bet that Monday night football might re-emerge as the ratings leader?

ESPN is so dominate in sports with so many channels that they have established themselves as the King Maker in Sports. It has been proven when they get a sport, things improve and when they don't have a sport...things level off or go down. They are able to promote a sport or conference like no other channel group...almost around the clock and with multiple venues.

Ask yourself does ESPN have an exclusive agreement with the SEC, the PAC, the B1G, the Big 12-2? Nope there is only one conference where all the TV money runs through the King Maker. So who do you think that ESPN is going to hype in the long run?

In fact many of us would agree that there has already been a positive change in the way that ESPN has treated the ACC in the last year.

Remember when some of us said all 15 signed the GOR for reason? These are pretty smart people that run our ACC Universities.

This article is HUGE...look for the big picture here and remember the comment about the VT AD job becoming a 100 million dollar budget job. Still a lot more to come, but again this is a HUGE step...just being public about it.

+1...I know that I will be working hard to ensure that it is picked up by our cable systems once it happens. ESPN was pretty forceful with us about the SEC network. We have systems in Virginia and Georgia in ACC Country.

Quote Originally Posted by Freddyburg Hokie View Post
    Carriers are already pushing back against that in a pretty big way, though. Speculation is that ESPN might have to rebrand ESPNU as the SECNetwork, with carriers not wanting to add another channel to pay for every month.
    Not too sure about that. Sports programming is the best thing going with the most profitability in the Cable TV business.

Quote Originally Posted by cburgroop View Post
    I can't help but think that part of the delay with the ACCN is that ESPN is waiting to see what happens with the upcoming B1G TV contract negotiations.

If ESPN loses the B1G to Fox, that will open up tons of programming slots for ACC content on the "main" networks of ABC, ESPN, ESPN2 and ESPNU. Would there even be any need for an ESPN-owned ACCN?

OTOH, say ESPN is able to retain the B1G's rights, and has to spend a lot of money in doing so. It might be willing to sell back some of the ACC rights to the conference and/or Raycom for a potential channel.
    The Big 10 network is a Fox property. For all intents and purposes, ESPN has already "lost" the Big 10 to Fox.