Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Kevin White discusses the ACC Channel

We've had a long delay between discussion about the ACC Network. It was discussed a lot in July when the new members joined and the Grant of Rights was promoted. Then crickets. And Swofford is always vague.

But Duke AD, Kevin White, who is on the committee for the ACC Channel is now predicting 2016. I thought it was interesting. He lost me a bit with his McDonald's, Burger King, Wendy's analogies. But I think I read it that he sees the ACC moving into second place behind the Big Ten Financially for the long term. Thought you all might be interesting in reading it.

http://www.dailypress.com/sports/tee...0,1385903.post

He doesn't see the SEC channel doing well, then?
    No trees were harmed in the making of this post. However, billions of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Quote Originally Posted by Freddyburg Hokie View Post
    He doesn't see the SEC channel doing well, then?
    He apparently sees it as #2 Burger King to #1 McDonald's. Sees the ACC Network as a Burger King as well.

Remember when some of us said all 15 signed the GOR for reason? These are pretty smart people that run our ACC Universities.

This article is HUGE...look for the big picture here and remember the comment about the VT AD job becoming a 100 million dollar budget job. Still a lot more to come, but again this is a HUGE step...just being public about it.

Quote Originally Posted by HOO86 View Post
    We've had a long delay between discussion about the ACC Network. It was discussed a lot in July when the new members joined and the Grant of Rights was promoted. Then crickets. And Swofford is always vague.

But Duke AD, Kevin White, who is on the committee for the ACC Channel is now predicting 2016. I thought it was interesting. He lost me a bit with his McDonald's, Burger King, Wendy's analogies. But I think I read it that he sees the ACC moving into second place behind the Big Ten Financially for the long term. Thought you all might be interesting in reading it.

http://www.dailypress.com/sports/tee...0,1385903.post

Quote Originally Posted by Stech View Post
    Remember when some of us said all 15 signed the GOR for reason? These are pretty smart people that run our ACC Universities.

This article is HUGE...look for the big picture here and remember the comment about the VT AD job becoming a 100 million dollar budget job. Still a lot more to come, but again this is a HUGE step...just being public about it.
    White's candor about where the ACC was is eye-opening. "We were in a bit of a free fall" is strong talk from someone in his position. Damn, Teel can get people to say anything!
    Always use "Reply With Quote", so everyone knows to whom you're responding.

Sounds peachy. However, my question remains: What is the motivation for ESPN to make this happen? They own all the inventory. They show the best basketball games on their main channels and there aren't enough good football games in the ACC to generate national interest in a channel.

Quote Originally Posted by MPHOKIE View Post
    Sounds peachy. However, my question remains: What is the motivation for ESPN to make this happen? They own all the inventory. They show the best basketball games on their main channels and there aren't enough good football games in the ACC to generate national interest in a channel.
    It would be nice for all the reasons and motivations for the ACCN be put on a message board for all to see, but that won't happen. The evidence for this, as Stech said, is all 15 university presidents (very smart people) signed a GOR. They know something we don't. You don't need to see the dynamite go off, just hear the boom.

I think this very much depends on the public appetite, at a lower price perhaps, for "Olympic" sports. An argument can DEFINITELY be made that the ACC has the absolute BEST inventory of sports other than Football and Mens Basketball. That's the sort of stuff that could drive a network, but perhaps at a lower revenue point than the B1G currently gets.

And, how much does ESPN get from internet providers for ESPN3? Maybe they'd get more from cable providers if they put that content on an ACC Network? Then there would be some football and mens basketball, and then the content WOULD be comparable to or better than the B10 Network.

easy: another channel to force down cable operator's throats for more carriage revenue and more ad revenue. ESPN currently has the rights to a lot of un-aired inventory from their various partners, and if they can find a profitable way to get that inventory on the air, they would LOVE to do it!
    "This no more resembles that than something unlike something else resembles that." - Loosely quoting PHNC

Quote Originally Posted by BUGGZY View Post
    easy: another channel to force down cable operator's throats for more carriage revenue and more ad revenue. ESPN currently has the rights to a lot of un-aired inventory from their various partners, and if they can find a profitable way to get that inventory on the air, they would LOVE to do it!
    Carriers are already pushing back against that in a pretty big way, though. Speculation is that ESPN might have to rebrand ESPNU as the SECNetwork, with carriers not wanting to add another channel to pay for every month.
    No trees were harmed in the making of this post. However, billions of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.