Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: VT vs. MSU

Quote Originally Posted by VTHokie2000 View Post
    Columbia is a somewhat verteran team (5 JRs and 5 SOs) and only has 2 big men (1 6'11" 258lbs and 1 6'10" 205lbs). Columbia lost by 9 points playing a Princeton-style game (low scoring). Also, it probably helped Columbia that Michigan St played Kentucky 3 days earlier and the players were still recovering/celebrating the epic #1 vs. #2 battle.

Portland is a verteran team (mostly JRs and SRs) and has 3 big men; 2 are 6'10" and 1 is 6'11" (all weigh between 235lbs and 250lbs). Portland still lost by 15 points.

Given that Michigan St has 3 days to prepare for VT, I do believe their players will be "focused." If VT tries to keep it up tempo, then I believe the Spartans will win by at least 15-20 points because VT does not have enough "big men" to endure that kind of game. If VT wants to keep the loss to less than 15 points, then VT may be forced to play a slow and boring game (not take any shot until there is under 5 seconds to go on the shot clock). The alternative is that VT makes over 60% of its 3-pointers and that Michigan State players have overlooked VT because they are focused on playing in the championship game the following night.
    I have never seen us attempt to play that style under Johnson. It may be the best strategy to help us win this game, but I don't see it happening. Just don't think that is his style of coaching.
    SteveA

Quote Originally Posted by SteveInBaltimore View Post
    I have never seen us attempt to play that style under Johnson. It may be the best strategy to help us win this game, but I don't see it happening. Just don't think that is his style of coaching.
    It may not be his style of coaching, but he does not have the personnel that can play his style. Sometimes you have to adjust your coaching philosophy to fit your team. An undermanned Princeton used that style to almost pull an upset against a highly ranked Georgetown team in the NCAA Tournament 10-20 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by VTHokie2000 View Post
    It may not be his style of coaching, but he does not have the personnel that can play his style. Sometimes you have to adjust your coaching philosophy to fit your team. An undermanned Princeton used that style to almost pull an upset against a highly ranked Georgetown team in the NCAA Tournament 10-20 years ago.
    I am not saying that he shouldn't do that... just that I don't believe he will.

Also... that WAS the style of play Princeton played all that season (and all of most of the last 20 years). They did not do anything different vs Georgetown than they had been doing all year. Big difference between doing what you ahve been doing all year and day in day out in practice, and completely changing your style of play for one particular opponent, especially when you have a freshman heavy team that is just learning your style and system in the first place.
    SteveA

Well, after Thompson, Raines, Wood and Eddie all got hammered, they FINALLY called a foul on MSU after 4+ minutes

Too easy on that inbound
    SteveA

VT is trying to penetrate a bit too much and getting stuck. plus the block shots. Devin harris is trying to drive and the space is not there.

Sweet - up 20-14 over #1 half way through the 1st.

there goes that 6-pt lead... turnovers and missed layups

Quote Originally Posted by nvpbrown View Post
    Sweet - up 20-14 over #1 half way through the 1st.
    That 8-0 run was pretty quick. Tough miss on the layup before that last three.

I don't think VT can play that tempo all game because they will be prone to turnovers. Right now they are staying in it but in actuality they started getting better when they slowed down in the half-court. They might push it and see but they are being patient in the half-court.