Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by BUGGZY View Post
    i think we're still withholding their TV/bowl/NCAA revenue share from 2012-13 and this year, so that is probably $30-35M right there!
    i don't know how much maryland has sunk into legal fees at this point (and projected fees) but you'd have to think someone at that university would be smart enough realize they're approaching the exit fee already. let it go maryland. even your decision to better yourself financially is turning out to be another example of how you don't know how to keep your fiscal house in order.
    Last edited by vthokiedsp; Wed Nov 20 2013 at 08:39 AM.
    It's not that you are ignorant, it's just that you know so much that isn't so.

Quote Originally Posted by 33laszlo99 View Post
    Two motives you mention, "best revenge" and "sending the right message" are what The ACC must never do.

If MD could prove the exit fee was increased to $52 million to punish a school who leaves, or to deter any school from leaving, the the conference has acted illegally. Any school can withdraw from any organization whenever they want to. It is against the law to interfere with that decision. Exit fees are intended to be a reasonable substitute for actual calculated financial damages, not deterrent, nor punishment for exiting.
    The ACC has done a good job showing no animosity towards Maryland since they decided to leave for the B1G last November. A good example would be the blown fumble for a TD call last week at Lane. If the ACC wanted "revenge" on Maryland, both TD review calls would've gone Tech's way. The ACC could be "sticking it" to Maryland but they have treated them respectfully and fairly on the field/court and as a full conference member. I haven't seen any signs of "revenge."

by all situations, they are going strictly by the book.

Two motives you mention, "best revenge" and "sending the right message" are what The ACC must never do.

If MD could prove the exit fee was increased to $52 million to punish a school who leaves, or to deter any school from leaving, the the conference has acted illegally. Any school can withdraw from any organization whenever they want to. It is against the law to interfere with that decision. Exit fees are intended to be a reasonable substitute for actual calculated financial damages, not deterrent, nor punishment for exiting.
    Of course the ACC can't say that's what they are doing, because that would destroy their legal case as you correctly point out. But there is every reason to think the ACC will publicly maintain that the "exit fees are intended to be a reasonable substitute for actual calculated financial damages, not deterrent, nor punishment for exiting", while at the same time privately thinking that the ongoing litigation is a good way to stick it to Maryland and make other schools think twice about leaving in the future.
    Last edited by 133304Hokie; Wed Nov 20 2013 at 12:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 133304Hokie View Post
    Of course the ACC can't say that's what they are doing, because that would destroy their legal case as you correctly point out. But there is every reason to think the ACC will publicly maintain that the "exit fees are intended to be a reasonable substitute for actual calculated financial damages, not deterrent, nor punishment for exiting", while at the same time privately thinking that the ongoing litigation is a good way to stick it to Maryland and make other schools think twice about leaving in the future.
    Public comments from Swofford have been declaring no animosity toward MD. Who knows what kind of settlement offers are going back and forth, but I think MD can drag this out for a long time. They are not using private counsel. The State's Attorney is representing their side.

The conference has one large possible pitfall. If a trial starts and discovery occurs, there may be email evidence that the ACC decided to raise the exit fee when they got wind of MD plans. These could include damning language about the need to "make an example of MD" or "making them pay" for leaving the conference. If we see news of a trial getting underway, that might mean such evidence exists. It would take only one sympathetic person in another conference school to point the way for MD's lawyers.

It would not be a stretch for Maryland to claim the addition of Louisville to the ACC actually increases the total athletic value of the ACC. Personally, I cannot believe replacing Maryland with Louisville damaged the ACC anywhere near $52M. There are other things to consider besides athletics, but I'm betting Maryland pays way less than $50M.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Line Hokie View Post
    Hard to believe it was a year ago that Maryland announced that they were leaving the ACC.

As for the $52 million exit fee, I doubt they end up paying the whole thing. I still think this case is eventually settled out of court before June with Maryland reluctantly paying just half of the exit fee.
    I don't see the incentive to settle, Maryland freely signed the agreement knowing the penalty for leaving. No chance I let them out of any of the fee.

Quote Originally Posted by Manbearpig View Post
    I don't see the incentive to settle, Maryland freely signed the agreement knowing the penalty for leaving. No chance I let them out of any of the fee.
    Technically Maryland never explicitly signed onto the exit fee.

Quote Originally Posted by 133304Hokie View Post
    Technically Maryland never explicitly signed onto the exit fee.
    All schools signed off on the amendment. It was announced Maryland and Florida St weren't initially in support but ultimately every school signed the agreement. Maryland doesn't have much of a case, they are just trying to see if they can whittle down the exit fee.

I still contend the B1G will step in and ease the burden on the Terps. They can easily pay the fee in full and deduct it from future B1G revenue for the Terps from both the main contract and B1G network.

That's what I think will happen as well.

What we don't know is what the final bill will be.

Quote Originally Posted by VT75 View Post
    All schools signed off on the amendment. It was announced Maryland and Florida St weren't initially in support but ultimately every school signed the agreement. Maryland doesn't have much of a case, they are just trying to see if they can whittle down the exit fee.

I still contend the B1G will step in and ease the burden on the Terps. They can easily pay the fee in full and deduct it from future B1G revenue for the Terps from both the main contract and B1G network.