Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 20 of 20
  1. #11
    Pylons's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 25, 2005
    Posts
    7,003
    Quote Originally Posted by Perfesser View Post
    All valid points ... but the fact remains that about 2/3 of VT's potential fan base lives 4+ hours from Lane/campus. Outside of Syracuse and Notre Dame, I'm not aware of any BCS program that has such geographic constraints. Even tu and A&M are much closer to their respective population centers. And all four of those programs have much more storied traditions than VT does.

    This isn't insurmountable, but it is an issue.
    Penn State is similar. There's more population once you get to ~3 hours away (and PSU has a lot more alums), but State College is pretty isolated.
    Last edited by Pylons; Thu Nov 21 2013 at 09:49 AM.

  2. #12
    Femoyer Hokie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 20, 2003
    Location
    Glen Allen, VA
    Posts
    1,462
    Quote Originally Posted by Pylons View Post
    Penn State is similar. There's more population once you get to ~hours away (and PSU has a lot more alums), but State College is pretty isolated.
    Although in a MAJOR metropolitan area, Miami is very isolated from their prospective student/alumni base.

  3. #13
    Pylons's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 25, 2005
    Posts
    7,003
    Quote Originally Posted by Femoyer Hokie View Post
    Although in a MAJOR metropolitan area, Miami is very isolated from their prospective student/alumni base.
    Same with Duke, Wake, Vandy, and probably some other similar schools...they have a lot of potential fans geographically close, but their student/alum bases are pretty spread out (and small)

  4. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Pylons View Post
    Same with Duke, Wake, Vandy, and probably some other similar schools...they have a lot of potential fans geographically close, but their student/alum bases are pretty spread out (and small)
    As I said before, you can probably add Army and Air Force to that list

  5. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Pylons View Post
    Penn State is similar. There's more population once you get to ~3 hours away (and PSU has a lot more alums), but State College is pretty isolated.
    3 hours away is still better than 4 or 5 hours. Also, I think the drive to Happy Valley may be slightly "easier" than to Blacksburg in terms of potential mental fatigue of the driver from dealing with the traffic.

  6. #16
    Pylons's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 25, 2005
    Posts
    7,003
    Quote Originally Posted by VTHokie2000 View Post
    3 hours away is still better than 4 or 5 hours. Also, I think the drive to Happy Valley may be slightly "easier" than to Blacksburg in terms of potential mental fatigue of the driver from dealing with the traffic.
    "similar"

    and the drives aren't really all that different (going to State College from Blacksburg this weekend actually)

  7. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by VTHokie2000 View Post
    3 hours away is still better than 4 or 5 hours. Also, I think the drive to Happy Valley may be slightly "easier" than to Blacksburg in terms of potential mental fatigue of the driver from dealing with the traffic.
    If you're coming from the Philly area, it is a pain to get to State College. From Harrisburg, you have to take US 322, a 460-ish road for 80 something miles. And that's an improvement from how it used to be. When I went there in high school, I got stuck behind a horse and buggy in a no passing zone for a few miles.

  8. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Pylons View Post
    "similar"

    and the drives aren't really all that different (going to State College from Blacksburg this weekend actually)
    Quote Originally Posted by HokieDevil View Post
    If you're coming from the Philly area, it is a pain to get to State College. From Harrisburg, you have to take US 322, a 460-ish road for 80 something miles. And that's an improvement from how it used to be. When I went there in high school, I got stuck behind a horse and buggy in a no passing zone for a few miles.
    I was more referring to the amount of and type of traffic drivers would encounter going to and from both location. Most people end up taking a combination of I-64, I-66, I-81, or I-95 to get to Blacksburg. Generally speaking those 4 interstates are heavily used by cars and trucks on weekends which often requires drivers to be even more alert (and extra defensive) for extended periods of time. Compared to secondary roads where a driver may not need to be as defensive and can take moments to mentally "relax." If the Vols happen to have a home game that same weekend, then it can offend lead to bumper to bumper-like traffic on the interstate for the entire trip. With people driving at higher speeds on the interstate and in a hurry to get to their destination, then it can often lead drivers to make poor decisions (i.e. an SUV trying to weave in-n-out of traffic as if it was a tiny Italian sportscar). It is amazing there aren't more accidents on gameday, which can often bring the interstate traffic to a temporary halt. I don't believe the fans traveling to State College (regardless of which direction) encounter the same level of intensity as drivers in VA given the size of the two states and the amount of actual distance that needs to be covered to get to their destination.

  9. #19

    Join Date
    August 27, 2002
    Posts
    4,272
    Yeah, it's not easy to get to State College. But the fact of the matter is that Penn State also has a much more storied athletic traditions than VT does .. which was the other half of my point. Having a long history of athletic excellence helps mitigate the geographic distance issue. (And Duke, Miami, and Army reinforce the first half of my point -- take a look at how many empty seats they tend to have in their respective football stadia -- when your fans live a fair distance away, it's hard to entice the casual fan to come by for a game).

    Heck, even if PSU were located in the Finger Lakes, they'd still sell out Happy Valley simply because the student body could practically fill the stadium by itself. That doesn't apply to Lane.

    If the product on the field isn't exciting (be it because of a staid offense, lackluster opponents, a dismal record, or some combination thereof), the athletic department isn't going to be able to sell the casual fan on a 4-5 hour one-way trip to see the Hokies. UVa doesn't have this issue. Nor does ODU.

    Yes, you might be able to sell a DC-area corporation on naming rights. But, generally speaking, corporations tend to put money into the regions they're associated with. Yes, there are exceptions.

  10. #20
    Pylons's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 25, 2005
    Posts
    7,003
    Quote Originally Posted by Perfesser View Post
    Heck, even if PSU were located in the Finger Lakes, they'd still sell out Happy Valley simply because the student body could practically fill the stadium by itself. That doesn't apply to Lane.
    actually, we're probably pretty much the same (%-wise...we'd get much closer absolute #'s wise) with respect to being able to fill our stadiums with students (local students, not total students...the PSU system has a TON of students that are not at University Park in State College)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •