F Trevor Thompson: 15 points, 11 rebounds, 21 minutes

Thompson recorded the first double-double of his career, and the first double-double of the season for any Tech player.

Wow, 15 points & 11 reebs in 21 minutes. Pretty good for a freshman in only his 2nd game. Could we have finally found a diamond big man in the rough? I saw TT play sparingly against WVu and he looked pretty athletic but I didn't see last night's game. Can anybody tell me how he looked, how he scored his points?

This freshman class pulled in by Coach Johnson looks solid. Maybe he has a knack for spotting 'diamonds' and that would be a good thing.

Nice win against WC. Maybe we'll make some noise this season.

Edited:

Found this in an online article - But once again, as he was in the West Virginia game, my personal MVP was FR post player Trevor Thompson, who went for 15 pts and 11 rebounds, and jump started the Hokie attack with 3 consecutive monster dunks in the span of a minute and half midway through the 1st half. Trevor is tremendously coordinated at his age for having such long limbs. I won't hesitate to say he's the most coordinated, athletic big man the Hokies have signed since the ACC expansion in 2004. I am sure Coach James Johnson is already qualifying his failure to play Thompson in the season opening loss to USC Upstate as his biggest mistake of the season to date.
    Last edited by YBYSAIAHokie; Sat Nov 16 2013 at 10:47 AM.
    I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather, not like the screaming passengers in his car.

Quote Originally Posted by YBYSAIAHokie View Post
    Thompson recorded the first double-double of his career, and the first double-double of the season for any Tech player.

Wow, 15 points & 11 reebs in 21 minutes. Pretty good for a freshman in only his 2nd game. Could we have finally found a diamond big man in the rough? I saw TT play sparingly against WVu and he looked pretty athletic but I didn't see last night's game. Can anybody tell me how he looked, how he scored his points?

This freshman class pulled in by Coach Johnson looks solid. Maybe he has a knack for spotting 'diamonds' and that would be a good thing.

Nice win against WC. Maybe we'll make some noise this season.

Edited:

Found this in an online article - But once again, as he was in the West Virginia game, my personal MVP was FR post player Trevor Thompson, who went for 15 pts and 11 rebounds, and jump started the Hokie attack with 3 consecutive monster dunks in the span of a minute and half midway through the 1st half. Trevor is tremendously coordinated at his age for having such long limbs. I won't hesitate to say he's the most coordinated, athletic big man the Hokies have signed since the ACC expansion in 2004. I am sure Coach James Johnson is already qualifying his failure to play Thompson in the season opening loss to USC Upstate as his biggest mistake of the season to date.
    He obviously is playing well, but I wouldn't read much into this game with WCU. They were gassed. Played Monday at home, flew to Oregon, played Wednesday night in an up and down game, flew to Tech, played last night and are playing Liberty today. Tech didn't get their best effort.

What you can take away is that TT is going to hustle and work the glass hard. I'm excited about the new players, though I know it's going to be a bumpy road in the ACC this year.

His athleticism will shine regardless of the competition when he has a lane to the basket. His 3 dunks, and the other that got waved of cause a foul, were monsters and he was WAY above the rim. I'll go out on a limb and say he'll be the best rebounder VT has had in a decade before he graduates.

Quote Originally Posted by hoosnowahokie View Post
    He obviously is playing well, but I wouldn't read much into this game with WCU. They were gassed. Played Monday at home, flew to Oregon, played Wednesday night in an up and down game, flew to Tech, played last night and are playing Liberty today. Tech didn't get their best effort.

What you can take away is that TT is going to hustle and work the glass hard. I'm excited about the new players, though I know it's going to be a bumpy road in the ACC this year.

Quote Originally Posted by YBYSAIAHokie View Post
    I am sure Coach James Johnson is already qualifying his failure to play Thompson in the season opening loss to USC Upstate as his biggest mistake of the season to date.
    I'm excited about the kid. You can't teach size and athleticism. And he's not some weird case where we have to teach him basketball from scratch.

I still don't know why didn't get any minutes against USC Upstate. Nobody else distinguished themselves down low (besides Raines, who should've played more).

Quote Originally Posted by RapmasterAC View Post
    I'm excited about the kid. You can't teach size and athleticism. And he's not some weird case where we have to teach him basketball from scratch.

I still don't know why didn't get any minutes against USC Upstate. Nobody else distinguished themselves down low (besides Raines, who should've played more).
    i know we didn't see WCU's A game Sat, and even if we did, they're not ACC caliber, but i think our Freshmen are gelling. i really like what i'm seeing out of Thompson, Emelogu and Wilson in particular. if we can get consistent play out of Eddie and Raines while these young guys continue to improve, and IF (HUGE IF) we can stay healthy for once, we might win a handful of ACC games this year, dare i say even 6-12 isn't out of the question.
    "This no more resembles that than something unlike something else resembles that." - Loosely quoting PHNC

I think Wilson, Emegolu and Thompson all have matchups tonight that could position them for big offensive nights, especially with the expected tempo that we will see ... should be fun to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by BUGGZY View Post
    i know we didn't see WCU's A game Sat, and even if we did, they're not ACC caliber, but i think our Freshmen are gelling. i really like what i'm seeing out of Thompson, Emelogu and Wilson in particular. if we can get consistent play out of Eddie and Raines while these young guys continue to improve, and IF (HUGE IF) we can stay healthy for once, we might win a handful of ACC games this year, dare i say even 6-12 isn't out of the question.
    Yeah I try not to read into any numbers so far. It's more important to me how he looks out there, and I like his upside. Hopefully he'll put on some more muscle in time and really be a force.

Agree about the freshmen. Every single one that is playing this year has the potential to be a contributor (which is good because we definitely need it from our guards). They'll make this team interesting to watch.