Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I'm curious if he knocked a girl up and is trying to work to afford it or figure out his next move. But then again the whole transferring thing sounds way more likely
    Quote Originally Posted by Edgeman View Post
    If that's the case, he may be out all year...lol

Quote Originally Posted by Pylons View Post
    you can't have fractional years of eligibility, can you?

It's bizarre. Transferring is obviously a big decision for a kid, but I can't see letting it drag out this long...but I can't come up with anything else that makes much sense either.

Facing some other sort of non-injury health issue and a considering redshirt year?
    What I meant by "1 3/4 years of eligibility" was that if he stayed out and transferred at the end of this semester, he would have two remaining years of eligibility. However, he would not be eligible to play until December 2014 or January 2015 (NCAA requires you spend a full academic year at the new institution before playing). At that point, he would have missed the first quarter of the season so would really have 1 3/4 seasons left to play.

Quote Originally Posted by nvpbrown View Post
    What I meant by "1 3/4 years of eligibility" was that if he stayed out and transferred at the end of this semester, he would have two remaining years of eligibility. However, he would not be eligible to play until December 2014 or January 2015 (NCAA requires you spend a full academic year at the new institution before playing). At that point, he would have missed the first quarter of the season so would really have 1 3/4 seasons left to play.
    I think that would remain the same whether he was playing right now or not. As I understand it, if he was playing right now and transferred at the end of the fall semester, he would still be able to start elsewhere after the fall semester 2014 and play spring 2015 plus one more full season.

Quote Originally Posted by DanNUandVT View Post
    I think that would remain the same whether he was playing right now or not. As I understand it, if he was playing right now and transferred at the end of the fall semester, he would still be able to start elsewhere after the fall semester 2014 and play spring 2015 plus one more full season.
    Nope. If Rankin does not play and transfers in January, he would have 1 3/4 years of eligibility left starting in January 2015. If he plays even one minute now, his entire 3rd year is burned, and he would only have 1 year remaining starting in September 2015. In that example, he could play starting in January 2015, but only for 3/4 of a year.
    Last edited by HokieJack; Thu Nov 21 2013 at 08:18 AM.

Based on his past history, he's either 1) not physically or mentally tough enough to play ACC basketball or 2) he's pouting or 3) he has some type of major personal issue that completely distracts from his focus on the court and he and JJ feel that him playing would hurt more than help the team until there's some resolution.

I don't know...but none of it sounds good.

Quote Originally Posted by HokieJack View Post
    Nope. If Rankin does not play and transfers in January, he would have 1 3/4 years of eligibility left starting in January 2015. If he plays even one minute now, his entire 3rd year is burned, and he would only have 1 year remaining starting in September 2015. In that example, he could play starting in January 2015, but only for 3/4 of a year.
    Why would that apply to Rankin and not other players, such as Ty Garland? Is there something different about the Rankin example?

Why would that apply to Rankin and not other players, such as Ty Garland? Is there something different about the Rankin example?
    Haven't kept up with Garland's situation. How is his different?

I know a player can play a limited number of games early in the season (up until early Jan I think), get injured and take that year as a medical redshirt year. But I don't think they can do that for a non-medical redshirt.

Nothing is different as far as I know. He'd have 2 years of eligibility left, but likely would only play about 1-3/4, since he wouldn't be able to start playing until Jan 2015 for his new school.

It's really not fair to only speculate with no basis of fact what personal or mental issue he may or may not be going through right now. My opinion but that needs to stop.

Quote Originally Posted by HokieJamie View Post
    It's really not fair to only speculate with no basis of fact what personal or mental issue he may or may not be going through right now. My opinion but that needs to stop.
    I don't think anyone's trying to spread any kind of rumor or anything...no one has claimed any particular knowledge...the whole thread seems to be very honest curiosity and speculation.

The kid is in a somewhat public, seemingly deliberately mysterious situation...this seems like a fairly natural and benign reaction.