Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Edgeman View Post
    I really don't think it's because he's disappointed he lost the starting job. I think there's something pretty major bothering him that we don't know about, and I hope he can successfully deal with it.
    Yep this is my hunch as well.

Of course it's probably just a woman.

I think the potential transfer theory is the most plausible. Maybe he started thinking of transferring at some point in the fall? If so, it's too late to pull out for this semester, so he might as well stay and pick up some academic credits. Or maybe he's just undecided.

If he transfers mid-season, he would have 1 3/4 years of eligibility left at the new school. This year would count as a redshirt season. He wouldn't be eligible to play in the first semester at the new school (must spend a full year there before playing), but could play at some point in December 2014 or January 2015. As I understand it, if he played at all in 2013-2014, he'd be down to just one season of eligibility unless he could arrange a cheesy fake medical redshirt.

Of course, this is all just wild conjecture.

JJ said he's not playing this weekend but will be welcomed back when he's ready

Quote Originally Posted by nvpbrown View Post
    If he transfers mid-season, he would have 1 3/4 years of eligibility left at the new school.
    you can't have fractional years of eligibility, can you?

It's bizarre. Transferring is obviously a big decision for a kid, but I can't see letting it drag out this long...but I can't come up with anything else that makes much sense either.

Facing some other sort of non-injury health issue and a considering redshirt year?

Quote Originally Posted by Pylons View Post

It's bizarre. Transferring is obviously a big decision for a kid, but I can't see letting it drag out this long...but I can't come up with anything else that makes much sense either.

Facing some other sort of non-injury health issue and a considering redshirt year?
    Maybe he's mature enough to realize that he's not in a good mental state right now and playing against opposing teams isn't going to help him. I doubt he's as extreme as Rolando McClain, but he made a similar choice to retire from the NFL because his head is not on straight. I hope Rankin can get any and all help possible if it is a mental issue. Just look at what happened with Creigh Deeds' son because there were no beds in VA to help treat his mental disorder. [/endrant]

Quote Originally Posted by hoosnowahokie View Post
    Maybe he's mature enough to realize that he's not in a good mental state right now and playing against opposing teams isn't going to help him. I doubt he's as extreme as Rolando McClain, but he made a similar choice to retire from the NFL because his head is not on straight. I hope Rankin can get any and all help possible if it is a mental issue. Just look at what happened with Creigh Deeds' son because there were no beds in VA to help treat his mental disorder. [/endrant]
    Could be. I think the not playing likely would have more to do with preserving eligibility than whether it would help/hurt him mentally though.

Quote Originally Posted by Pylons View Post

Maybe, I'm not sure. Sometimes guys are eligible after fall semester for some reason (after transferring). Not sure what those reasons would be, maybe it is due to fractional years of eligibility.

Quote Originally Posted by HokieJamie View Post
    JJ said he's not playing this weekend but will be welcomed back when he's ready
    Yes, he did. Didn't sound like a transfer situation but no clue as to the personal problem.

Quote Originally Posted by santafe View Post
    Maybe, I'm not sure. Sometimes guys are eligible after fall semester for some reason (after transferring). Not sure what those reasons would be, maybe it is due to fractional years of eligibility.
    I think in those cases it has to do with having to sit out a full year (or be at the new school for a year, however it's worded). They start after fall because that's when the full year clock runs out...but I think they still use a full year of eligibility when they do that.

Quote Originally Posted by RapmasterAC View Post
    Yep this is my hunch as well.

Of course it's probably just a woman.
    If that's the case, he may be out all year...lol
    "You start a conversation you can't even finish it
    You're talkin' a lot, but you're not sayin' anything
    When I have nothing to say, my lips are sealed
    Say something once, why say it again?"
    - David Byrne