Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Whats going on with Rankin?

Is he hurt or what? One of the announcers during the wvu game said his leave was due to personal reasons but he was sitting on the bench. Seems very odd

Quote Originally Posted by savior23 View Post
    Is he hurt or what? One of the announcers during the wvu game said his leave was due to personal reasons but he was sitting on the bench. Seems very odd
    I have no idea, but unfortunately, you have to think of any minutes Rankin giving us as bonus......he is usually out for one reason or another........

And not to jump to conclusions or anything, but, if Rankin (who has a TON of potential) does not get his act together, he could turn out to be one of those monumental disappointments.......I wish someone could light a fire under him.......
    "Don't give up......Don't ever give up." -- Jimmy V

My guess is that he is considering transferring. If so, does the fact that he has not played at all help him avoid sitting out a season at another school?

I hope that he is staying. We need him.
    "We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

-Albert Einstein

It seems really odd that he would be showing up for games and sitting on the bench in a suit if he was holding himself out due to a PT dispute as has been rumored. I would think that he should either be present and sitting in a suit as a disciplinary/injury/eligibility measure *or* at home watching for personal reasons, but none of these seems to be the case.

I can't figure out what personal reason would have him continuously present, but unavailable to play... because if I was Coach Johnson he would be somewhere else contemplating his future if the personal reason was a PT dispute or a transfer consideration. What happens the first time we are in foul trouble or Wilson is really struggling and Rankin is sitting on the bench of his own choice? That's not good for anybody IMO. You are on the team or you are not... hopefully he is on the team and he can get the issue sorted out quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by IB4TECH View Post
    My guess is that he is considering transferring. If so, does the fact that he has not played at all help him avoid sitting out a season at another school?

I really don't think it's because he's disappointed he lost the starting job. I think there's something pretty major bothering him that we don't know about, and I hope he can successfully deal with it.
    "You start a conversation you can't even finish it
    You're talkin' a lot, but you're not sayin' anything
    When I have nothing to say, my lips are sealed
    Say something once, why say it again?"
    - David Byrne

Whatever it is, it's opening the door for people to question his heart and that's unfortunate. At this point, he barely contributed to the program due to injuries etc and we should move forward. Wilson is more than capable it seems.
    It's not that you are ignorant, it's just that you know so much that isn't so.

Same. It does help if you sit the whole yr out
    Quote Originally Posted by IB4TECH View Post

Quote Originally Posted by No1Hokie View Post
    It seems really odd that he would be showing up for games and sitting on the bench in a suit if he was holding himself out ...
    Sometimes loyalty is shown in different sacrificial fashions. I respect a guy who'll support the team that way and a coach that'll let him do it that way. Or I'm totally off-base, but that is my opinion if it's a personal decision but wants to show support for the team.
    "That's some catch, that Catch 22!" - Capt. Yossarian

Still sitting per Coach Johnson via RTD...

http://www.timesdispatch.com/sports/...024ccfc32.html

Quote Originally Posted by Edgeman View Post
    I really don't think it's because he's disappointed he lost the starting job. I think there's something pretty major bothering him that we don't know about, and I hope he can successfully deal with it.
    Yeah, I used to think he was just contemplating a transfer due to losing the starting job, but now I'm starting to worry it might be something quite serious. Seems like a nice guy and I really do wish him well.