Rev. Zeke, a question about your recruit analysis

You said all 5 2013 recruits were never contacted early on by JJ and his staff. Please elaborate.

Why/Why not? Is that a positive or negative for recruiting by this coaching staff? Was it a change in type of recruiting/recruit philosophy....if so, in what way?
    John 3:16

Quote Originally Posted by wasris View Post
    You said all 5 2013 recruits were never contacted early on by JJ and his staff. Please elaborate.

Why/Why not? Is that a positive or negative for recruiting by this coaching staff? Was it a change in type of recruiting/recruit philosophy....if so, in what way?
    JJ has only been head coach for 18 months...how early could he and his staff have been in on anyone for 2013?

Quote Originally Posted by Pylons View Post
    JJ has only been head coach for 18 months...how early could he and his staff have been in on anyone for 2013?
    He was on staff here under Greenberg. That would include that time, I would think.
    No trees were harmed in the making of this post. However, billions of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Quote Originally Posted by Pylons View Post
    Rev tweeted this:

"Virginia Tech has 5 freshmen on the team this year. Not one of them had been recruited at all (by VT) til after James Johnson became head coach"

and

"remember that Coach Johnson was already on staff & already recruiting bunch of kids himself, not to mention others on list"

My takeaway (inference, I guess) from the discussion was that Seth encouraged kids he'd been recruiting to look elsewhere. There could be other reasons too.

https://twitter.com/KipTJam/status/392755608208019457
    Last edited by 313A; Fri Nov 15 2013 at 05:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Freddyburg Hokie View Post
    He was on staff here under Greenberg. That would include that time, I would think.
    he was. his staff wasn't. he had also left the staff (at least from a PR standpoint...I don't know how "gone" he actually was) before returning

he was recruiting based on what Seth wanted, not necessarily what he wanted (which is not to say there's no overlap there...a good player is a good player)

so I guess it's a little surprising that there was no carryover recruiting-wise, but it's certainly not surprising that we ended up with a class significantly comprised of kids we had no real prior relationship with

I don't know who is responsible for recruiting Ben E, but whoever it was, Rev. Zeke or JJ, came up with a gem. Don't know who the Greenberg guys were that mysteriously changed their minds, but I am pleased with the ones JJ has brought in.