Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by VTHokie2000 View Post
    I believe the OOC schedule should reflect Coach Johnson's recruiting philosophy. If Coach Johnson plans to recruit heavily in the state of VA and not have a diverse bench, then it makes sense to play a lot of instate teams. If Coach Johnson plans to take a more national approach, then it makes more sense for VT to play more games in different parts of the country because it will increase VT's exposure in terms of the local media coverage. For example if Coach Johnson is constantly targetting recruits from Dallas, Chicago, New York City, Los Angeles, and Houston, then I am not sure VT has built up a big enough namebrand to be successful at recruiting in those locations without playing any games there.
    I agree. I think Greenberg tried to do the VA thing but it didn't really turn out well for us in recruiting or scheduling.

Quote Originally Posted by RapmasterAC View Post
    Yeah but who cares what they think?

I just thought it was odd to call for playing ODU now, considering they've fallen off a cliff recently. If you want to play VA squads I'd put them well behind VCU, GMU, and Richmond. I'm not opposed to playing them but I'm also not sure we need to be playing games at the Ted unless JJ is recruiting Tidewater (and given the competition for VA recruits with so many big time programs nearby, I doubt he is recruiting it heavily).

I would like to see us play at least two VA schools a year. One is just for kicks and shouldn't be a big game (Radford/JMU). I would say we should also try for a game with one of VCU/UR/GMU every year. I just think adding ODU to the mix dilutes the quality of opponent.
    If VT is going to schedule at least 2 instate schools, then my vote would be Radford and VMI. Radford because of the close proximity of the two schools and I think it could turn into a fun rivalry for the NRV. VMI because of the history between the two schools. If the two schools are not going to face each other on the grid iron, then they should at least face each other on the basketball court. Besides, if Coach Johnson wants to run an uptempo style of offense then the Runnin' Roos would be a good test since they use that style of offense. I would have no problem if VT wanted to schedule a third game against another instate school, but I probably wouldn't do more than 3 games a year.

Quote Originally Posted by VTHokie2000 View Post
    If VT is going to schedule at least 2 instate schools, then my vote would be Radford and VMI. Radford because of the close proximity of the two schools and I think it could turn into a fun rivalry for the NRV. VMI because of the history between the two schools. If the two schools are not going to face each other on the grid iron, then they should at least face each other on the basketball court. Besides, if Coach Johnson wants to run an uptempo style of offense then the Runnin' Roos would be a good test since they use that style of offense. I would have no problem if VT wanted to schedule a third game against another instate school, but I probably wouldn't do more than 3 games a year.
    Playing Radford and VMI gives us nothing. We need to be playing in markets that we recruit or should be recruiting. VCU, ODU or northern virginia. The reason Seth stop scheduling ODU was because VT couldn't beat ODU at the time, so Seth took his team & went home. If we want to be the best in state then we have to play & beat the best in state. JJ is not doing his job if he's not recruiting in those three areas.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoakie82 View Post
    Playing Radford and VMI gives us nothing. We need to be playing in markets that we recruit or should be recruiting. VCU, ODU or northern virginia. The reason Seth stop scheduling ODU was because VT couldn't beat ODU at the time, so Seth took his team & went home. If we want to be the best in state then we have to play & beat the best in state. JJ is not doing his job if he's not recruiting in those three areas.
    As RapmasterAC would say, "Radford and VMI would be just for 'kicks' type of game." It would be know different if VT decided to play a series against Liberty, Longwood, or JMU. In terms of recruiting instate, VT does not necessarily need to play a game in a city/region in order to recruit in that region. For example, the 2 games against UVA gives VT exposure to the Richmond and NOVA areas. Also, it is possible that some years VT may not be able to schedule games against VCU, Richmond, ODU, or GMU. Which means VT won't be able to play a game in the Richmond area (unless it decided to play a neutral site game), schedule a game against an out-of-state school to gain exposure in NOVA, and have to resort to playing W&M, Hampton, or Norfolk St to gain any exposure in the Tidewater Region.

I don't think recruiting in-state is a huge priority for the current staff right now, has been tough sledding and maybe as a result I don't think there has been a ton of effort there. Hitting NC but definitely not as much in VA.

Quote Originally Posted by Cvillehoops13 View Post
    I don't think recruiting in-state is a huge priority for the current staff right now, has been tough sledding and maybe as a result I don't think there has been a ton of effort there. Hitting NC but definitely not as much in VA.
    Is the previous coach far enough gone to finally let us know how we have been screwed the last couple years in recruiting (particularly VA kids)?

The sentiment is that JJ has a near impossible battle on the recruiting trail for a particular reason; however, I am not sure that reason has ever been revealed.....
    "Don't give up......Don't ever give up." -- Jimmy V

I imagine it's a combination of issues, issues that won't go away anytime soon. Considering we've only had two quality contributors that were genuinely from VA (Erick Green and Cadarian Raines) since the Greenberg era, I'm really ok with not focusing on the state. There's too many players in the country that can ball to waste time in a market that doesn't help us. Maybe one day that will change, but I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.

Quote Originally Posted by HokieJamie View Post
    We did several years ago but Seth was not really into scheduling the other in state schools.
    Seth had some good points about that that still apply. Other than VCU there is nothing to gain. There is plenty to lose if we lose to William and Mary, ODU, etc. I've attended several of those losses over the years in the 757. RPI killers.

You answered your own question.

Quote Originally Posted by HokiePoq View Post
    Seth had some good points about that that still apply. Other than VCU there is nothing to gain. There is plenty to lose if we lose to William and Mary, ODU, etc. I've attended several of those losses over the years in the 757. RPI killers.
    How is the "nothing to gain, plenty to lose" story any different if we're talking UNC-G, USC Upstate, Winthrop, Campbell, or UMBC instead of W&M, ODU, etc?