Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by Pylons View Post
    How is the "nothing to gain, plenty to lose" story any different if we're talking UNC-G, USC Upstate, Winthrop, Campbell, or UMBC instead of W&M, ODU, etc?
    Because the motivation of the local team to beat us is higher.

Quote Originally Posted by RapmasterAC View Post
    some of the schools I listed are closer to VT than W&M or ODU

and I don't really buy that there's much of a difference in motivation...any of those small-conference teams sees playing even a bottom-feeder ACC school as quite an opportunity.

as an aside, I just went to USC-Upstate's schedule to see who else they play...they've lost to Winthrop (who's on our schedule) and Tennessee since beating us
    Last edited by Pylons; Tue Nov 19 2013 at 04:00 PM.

focus on areas we want to recruit...

if it is DC or Baltimore--- american, umbc, towson, loyola, even mt st mary's

there are lots of schools in other major areas too-

not just the ones everyone always hears about.

try and build.
    Cast off the shoes and follow the gourd!

Quote Originally Posted by Go VT View Post

try and build.
    I'm not sure that does any good. Players we want aren't following UMBC and Mt. St. Mary's and we're not going to play away games at schools like those.

Playing Michigan St. in NYC will do more for recruiting than playing a bunch of small-time schools within some target geography

Quote Originally Posted by Go VT View Post

try and build.
    I still don't see why we wouldn't want to recruit in the 757? It offers the double benefit of recruiting as well as keeping the local alumni involved.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoakie82 View Post
    I still don't see why we wouldn't want to recruit in the 757? It offers the double benefit of recruiting as well as keeping the local alumni involved.
    WRT to recruiting in the 757, there is too much competition that may not be worth fighting right now given the state of the program. WRT to the 757 fanbase, I do agree that it might keep the fanbase more involved with the program. However, I am not sure it will provide VT with any significant benefit (financially speaking). For away games, I do not believe VT receives any percentage of the ticket sales (unless it is a neutral site game and both teams receive a fee for playing the game there). So while it is nice to have fans attend away games, it offers VT no real financial benefit. For the home game, it may not guarantee an increase in ticket sales. If the game is played during the week at 7 or 7:30pm, then it is unlikely a large percentage of 757 fans will take the afternoon off from work to attend the game. While the 757 may be more likely to attend a weekend game, it is possible that VT may not find a weekend date that is agreeable to the opposing team. Even if the game is played on the weekend, then there still might be times that turn the 757 off (see examples below).

Saturday: early afternoon and evening after 7pm (same driving issues that people have to face during football season)
    Sunday: early afternoon (conflicts with church) and evening after 5pm (conflicts with families getting ready for Monday morning)

Quote Originally Posted by RapmasterAC View Post
    Any increased motivation should go both ways & up our play, too. I view an ODU football game as a no win situation because football is such a bigger more costly program to develop & VT has years on ODU. If we win we should've won & if we ever lose... I don't even want to go there.

Basketball is different. It is a much smaller budget & ODU's program, like it or not, is as established as VT's. The court is more fair then the field in this case. Bragging rights for the state is always nice & just because we can't win the challenge doesn't mean we shouldn't try.

Quote Originally Posted by VTHokie2000 View Post
    If the game is played during the week at 7 or 7:30pm, then it is unlikely a large percentage of 757 fans will take the afternoon off from work to attend the game. While the 757 may be more likely to attend a weekend game, it is possible that VT may not find a weekend date that is agreeable to the opposing team. Even if the game is played on the weekend, then there still might be times that turn the 757 off (see examples below).

Saturday: early afternoon and evening after 7pm (same driving issues that people have to face during football season)
    Sunday: early afternoon (conflicts with church) and evening after 5pm (conflicts with families getting ready for Monday morning)
    These points apply to all schools?

These points apply to all schools?
    Yes, it would apply to any "lesser" opponent that VT happens to schedule. Your previous statement suggested that part of the athletic department's motivation to schedule games with ODU, W&M, Hampton, or Norfolk St would be to get more 757 fans involved with the basketball program. However, when VT schedules a game against a small out-of-state school that is not affiliated with any early season tournament (i.e. Coaches vs. Cancer, NIT Season Tip-Off, Philly Hoop Group Classic, etc.), having fans from those states attend the game at Cassell is not a high motivating factor (even if they live closer to Blacksburg than 757 fans). The athletic department appears to accept the reality that the attendees for weekday games are locals (i.e. within a 1 hour radius of Blacksburg).

The rules are different if VT has scheduled a "big name" opponent to play a weekday night game at Cassell. People are more likely to make sacrifices in their personal life in order to add the game. Syracuse will be coming to Blacksburg on January 7 (Tuesday) at 9pm and don't be surprised to see a soldout Cassell (compared to the VMI game).

Any increased motivation should go both ways & up our play, too. I view an ODU football game as a no win situation because football is such a bigger more costly program to develop & VT has years on ODU. If we win we should've won & if we ever lose... I don't even want to go there.

Basketball is different. It is a much smaller budget & ODU's program, like it or not, is as established as VT's. The court is more fair then the field in this case. Bragging rights for the state is always nice & just because we can't win the challenge doesn't mean we shouldn't try.
    No one cares about ODU from the VT side, in football or basketball. They've never been a rivalry, and we haven't played them regularly since the 80s (to contrast we've played about 5x as many games against William & Mary, and I don't think anyone really dwells on our history with them). They have the same amount of NCAA wins as we do since the mid 90s (1), so they're not a big time program. They play in conference no one cares about. Our players couldn't even get up for the game when ODU was a good opponent...they went 5-25 last year!

We don't need the 757 for basketball recruiting. We don't even need this state (although it would be nice). We've had TWO VA guys be meaningful contributors since Greenberg took over, Erick Green and Cadarian Raines.

I'd much rather play a legit program like VCU who has national recognition and is around the top 25.