Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

If we can play ODU in football then why not in Basketball? Nm

Nm

We did several years ago but Seth was not really into scheduling the other in state schools.

Quote Originally Posted by HokieJamie View Post
    We did several years ago but Seth was not really into scheduling the other in state schools.
    I know but I never agreed with it. If anything we should be playing the state schools in basketball & not football.

We've started with VCU...one step at a time.
    "You start a conversation you can't even finish it
    You're talkin' a lot, but you're not sayin' anything
    When I have nothing to say, my lips are sealed
    Say something once, why say it again?"
    - David Byrne

Quote Originally Posted by Edgeman View Post
    We've started with VCU...one step at a time.
    That game is part of the Governor's Classic, not 1-for-1 game or anything of the like.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoakie82 View Post
    I know but I never agreed with it. If anything we should be playing the state schools in basketball & not football.
    In football, it helps us assert our dominance. In basketball it makes us look bad by being an ACC team losing to mid majors.

ODU sucks now. Why play them?

Quote Originally Posted by RapmasterAC View Post
    ODU sucks now. Why play them?
    They probably said the same thing about us?
    "Don't give up......Don't ever give up." -- Jimmy V

Quote Originally Posted by Hoakie82 View Post
    I believe the OOC schedule should reflect Coach Johnson's recruiting philosophy. If Coach Johnson plans to recruit heavily in the state of VA and not have a diverse bench, then it makes sense to play a lot of instate teams. If Coach Johnson plans to take a more national approach, then it makes more sense for VT to play more games in different parts of the country because it will increase VT's exposure in terms of the local media coverage. For example if Coach Johnson is constantly targetting recruits from Dallas, Chicago, New York City, Los Angeles, and Houston, then I am not sure VT has built up a big enough namebrand to be successful at recruiting in those locations without playing any games there.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubman View Post
    They probably said the same thing about us?
    Yeah but who cares what they think?

I just thought it was odd to call for playing ODU now, considering they've fallen off a cliff recently. If you want to play VA squads I'd put them well behind VCU, GMU, and Richmond. I'm not opposed to playing them but I'm also not sure we need to be playing games at the Ted unless JJ is recruiting Tidewater (and given the competition for VA recruits with so many big time programs nearby, I doubt he is recruiting it heavily).

I would like to see us play at least two VA schools a year. One is just for kicks and shouldn't be a big game (Radford/JMU). I would say we should also try for a game with one of VCU/UR/GMU every year. I just think adding ODU to the mix dilutes the quality of opponent.