Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

JJ's recruits looked pretty promising today

anyone else think this team might be really good in a couple years?

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeHokieFan View Post
    Freshman looked great!. Lets hope they don't transfer, or develope an awful attitude, or get cancer, or any of the other things that have plagued this program.

I think we saw a lot of positive development today. We have at least one PG on the team in Wilson...Emelogu and Smith can score when they're under control, and Thompson showed flashes today. We also seemed to find a core of players to have on the court when it came to crunch time. Hopefully Wood/Barksdale/Rankin/Eddie realize the freshmen are going to eat their lunch at this rate, and rise to the challenge.

Hard to say what will happen in a few years with a new president and AD coming in but If JJ is given a fair chance then VT could be back to some sort of relevance in a few years.
    “You better take care of me Lord, if you don't you're gonna have me on your hands."

As I said on Twitter earlier: Let's hope he (JJ) isn't the Mike London of basketball.

Probably not as bad as we looked against SC Upstate, probably not as good as we looked in the 2nd half of this game. Basketball has even more variance than football. It'll be real interesting to see how the season turns out. I can't imagine this season ending up that great, maybe .500 is a stretch goal. But I think the real thing is going to be looking at development of players and see if there aren't glimmers that they can turn this into something in 2 or 3 years.

Theoretically, that's how it's supposed to work for all but the best teams - get a core group of guys, deal with the lumps when they're young, then by the time their upperclassmen, they should be in "NCAA Bid" territory. Then do it all over again.

I know people here hate orange in general, but I thought the orange shoes were cool.
    There's a difference between a "fact" and an "opinion that you agree with."

I'll also take a win over WVU any day of the week

I say yes. I really liked the way that Devin Wilson and Ben Emelogu play as Fr. plus the scoring potential in A. Smith. The key will be keeping the team together for a couple of years. But "keeping the team together" just feels like a long shot with the history of our BBall program. But hey, we can hope for the best! We also need to add another PG (hoping Malik Mueller looks as good as Wilson). When Wilson was out we seemed to struggle a bit IMO.

I was favorably impressed as well. In particular, Devin Wilson adds something that we really needed to replace after the departure of Erick Green: a point guard with quicks who can penetrate and then finish the shot and/or draw the foul and reliably his his FTs. I think he's gonna be a good one, especially since he's not splitting time between basketball & football any more like he was in high school.

Quote Originally Posted by RapmasterAC View Post
    I think we saw a lot of positive development today. We have at least one PG on the team in Wilson...Emelogu and Smith can score when they're under control, and Thompson showed flashes today. We also seemed to find a core of players to have on the court when it came to crunch time. Hopefully Wood/Barksdale/Rankin/Eddie realize the freshmen are going to eat their lunch at this rate, and rise to the challenge.
    TWO questions please:

--is Emelogu a guard or small forward?

--how did Thompson handle himself inside defensively...rebounding??

TIA
    John 3:16