Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Telionis View Post
    Why would Teague leave after a year to go to a smaller athletic department???

AD of VT is a step-down from AD of Minnesota, or UNC, or UVA, or WVU (Luck). We have good football, but our BBall makes no money and our TV deal sucks. If Luck has his sights set on Texas or Michigan, both of which bring in double the revenue of VT, he'd never settle for VT (especially if his old job is technically better).
    Why do you think AD of VT is a step down from AD of WVU? Frankly, I think that's way wrong. Luck would be a great hire, but I don't see it happening.
    "It's a half an inch of water, and you think you're going to drown."

Agreed. I see Oliver as having better alternatives.

Quote Originally Posted by Ancient Hokie View Post
    Why do you think AD of VT is a step down from AD of WVU? Frankly, I think that's way wrong. Luck would be a great hire, but I don't see it happening.

You made a compelling argument that Minnesota should be ranked higher academically, but not athletically. There are also a lot of people that do not like their cold weather. I know someone who moved from Wisconsin to Minnesota and could not believe how much colder it is than Wisconsin. He also put WVU and UVa above VT athletically when football rules the day and that just doesn't make sense to me. You can buy that, but not me. Those are all reasons that someone might move from Minnesota to be the AD at VT. I am not saying it will happen, but his ranking Tech below all of those schools athletically missed the mark in a big way for me and I am quite sure for other AD candidates too.

PS I know that UVa has Tech beat in non-revenue championships, but Tech has closed that gap quite dramatically since joining the ACC and I suspect with our football success (the biggest revenue producer) that will continue to close. Many not all would rather have the Tech AD job.

Quote Originally Posted by lawhokie View Post
    It's nearly twice as big as VT, with four times our endowment, AAU, and generally rated higher than VT academically.

They also have the newest stadium in the BCS. It's small now, but I think UM can expand it to mega-stadium size if they can justify the seats. They're 8-2 now so it looks like they are on the right track. Playing Nebraska, Michigan, Penn State, Ohio State, Michigan State, et al. should fill seats. All we hear from the VT admin is that Lane is big enough now and Cassell is good for another decade.

Minnesota AD is clearly a better job than VT AD, and there are arguments that it is on par with FSU and UNC if revenue continues to increase and they can sustain a run in football. It's simply a massive school that dwarfs all ACC schools and it has excellent undergrad academics and research. Worst part is the miserable cold and short summers.

Quote Originally Posted by Stech View Post
    You made a compelling argument that Minnesota should be ranked higher academically, but not athletically. There are also a lot of people that do not like their cold weather. I know someone who moved from Wisconsin to Minnesota and could not believe how much colder it is than Wisconsin. He also put WVU and UVa above VT athletically when football rules the day and that just doesn't make sense to me. You can buy that, but not me. Those are all reasons that someone might move from Minnesota to be the AD at VT. I am not saying it will happen, but his ranking Tech below all of those schools athletically missed the mark in a big way for me and I am quite sure for other AD candidates too.

PS I know that UVa has Tech beat in non-revenue championships, but Tech has closed that gap quite dramatically since joining the ACC and I suspect with our football success (the biggest revenue producer) that will continue to close. Many not all would rather have the Tech AD job.
    I've spent some time in the hamster tubes of Minneapolis in the winter, and it is surely cold. But UM also sits in one of the coolest cities in the US. If I'm a wealthy AD, I'm looking forward to the handful of premium steakhouses within a short drive of campus, Mall of America, museums, a river view, wealthy 3M donors, and all the other cool things that a relatively sophisticated metropolitan area provide. I'm not sure how I'd spend an AD salary in Blacksburg.

I've spent some time in the hamster tubes of Minneapolis in the winter, and it is surely cold. But UM also sits in one of the coolest cities in the US. If I'm a wealthy AD, I'm looking forward to the handful of premium steakhouses within a short drive of campus, Mall of America, museums, a river view, wealthy 3M donors, and all the other cool things that a relatively sophisticated metropolitan area provide.
    there are certainly things to like about Minneapolis...Mall of America is not one of them
    I'm not sure how I'd spend an AD salary in Blacksburg.
    I think your imagination is broken.