Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

It looks like Jim Weaver is going to step down due to health reasons

I will be the first to admit that I have not cared for his handling of basketball, his PR skills, or his near loss of Coach Beamer to UNC. That being said, he has presided over the golden age of VT athletics and there are a number of great facilities that were built during his administration. Our athletics department is in the black and not many schools can actually make that claim. Our olympic sports are at their highest level ever with baseball, wrestling, track, and women's soccer reaching unprecedented heights.

I wish him the best and thank him for his service to the university.

Now...let the speculation begin. Who would be a good AD candidate to replace him? I have a name already...Oliver Luck.
    Last edited by CobbCountyHokie; Tue Nov 12 2013 at 03:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CobbCountyHokie View Post
    I will be the first to admit that I have not cared for his handling of basketball, his PR skills, or his near loss of Coach Beamer to UNC. That being said, he has presided over the golden age of VT athletics and there are a number of great facilities that were built during his administration. Our athletics department is in the black and not many schools can actually make that claim. Our olympic sports are at their highest level ever with baseball, wrestling, track, and women's soccer reaching unprecedented heights.

I wish him the best and thank him for his service to the university.

Now...let the speculation begin. Who would be a good AD candidate to replace him? I have a name already...Oliver Luck.
    Oliver Luck is slated to be the next AD at Michigan

I thought he was originally slated to go to Texas.

Norwood Teague - currently at Minnesota, hired Jerry Kill.
    Formerly at VCU, hired Shaka Smart and built the Sigel Center.
    Past stops at UNC and UVA, so he knows the ACC.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norwood_Teague
    BCS level college football is a resource war, not a morality play.

Quote Originally Posted by PadrosWindup View Post
    Norwood Teague - currently at Minnesota, hired Jerry Kill.
    Formerly at VCU, hired Shaka Smart and built the Sigel Center.
    Past stops at UNC and UVA, so he knows the ACC.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norwood_Teague
    Why would Teague leave after a year to go to a smaller athletic department???

AD of VT is a step-down from AD of Minnesota, or UNC, or UVA, or WVU (Luck). We have good football, but our BBall makes no money and our TV deal sucks. If Luck has his sights set on Texas or Michigan, both of which bring in double the revenue of VT, he'd never settle for VT (especially if his old job is technically better).

Disagree - I see VT as a parallel to Minnesota, with more growth potential.
    Teague is capable of making VT bigger than Minnesota.

Quote Originally Posted by Telionis View Post

AD of VT is a step-down from AD of Minnesota, or UNC, or UVA, or WVU (Luck). We have good football, but our BBall makes no money and our TV deal sucks. If Luck has his sights set on Texas or Michigan, both of which bring in double the revenue of VT, he'd never settle for VT (especially if his old job is technically better).
    BCS level college football is a resource war, not a morality play.

First of all football rules college sports, so how you come to that conclusion is beyond me for two or three of those schools. The only one you could make an argument for is UNC and while they have done great in basketball, they can only hope to have our record over the last 20 years in football.

PS I get the Texas Michigan thing, but the Texas AD job is gone and many said Luck was a slam dunk for that job. BTW, not me, I never thought he would get that job and I posted that on here a while back.

Quote Originally Posted by Telionis View Post

UM's athletic revenue is about 20% higher than VT's, depending on where you look.

Quote Originally Posted by Stech View Post
    First of all football rules college sports, so how you come to that conclusion is beyond me for two or three of those schools. The only one you could make an argument for is UNC and while they have done great in basketball, they can only hope to have our record over the last 20 years in football.

PS I get the Texas Michigan thing, but the Texas AD job is gone and many said Luck was a slam dunk for that job. BTW, not me, I never thought he would get that job and I posted that on here a while back.
    It's nearly twice as big as VT, with four times our endowment, AAU, and generally rated higher than VT academically.

They also have the newest stadium in the BCS. It's small now, but I think UM can expand it to mega-stadium size if they can justify the seats. They're 8-2 now so it looks like they are on the right track. Playing Nebraska, Michigan, Penn State, Ohio State, Michigan State, et al. should fill seats. All we hear from the VT admin is that Lane is big enough now and Cassell is good for another decade.

Minnesota AD is clearly a better job than VT AD, and there are arguments that it is on par with FSU and UNC if revenue continues to increase and they can sustain a run in football. It's simply a massive school that dwarfs all ACC schools and it has excellent undergrad academics and research. Worst part is the miserable cold and short summers.
    Last edited by lawhokie; Wed Nov 13 2013 at 09:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stech View Post

In the absence of extraneous factors, it is all about the money. Generally, all you have to do is look at the total athletic revenue for each school to determine the attractiveness of a school to a prospective AD candidate. I believe UNC would be more attractive than VT based on revenue. ADs want money to play with. I don't think previous records matter so much as long as the revenue stream continues.

p.s. Based on 2011 revenue numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by HokieDevil View Post
    Oliver Luck is slated to be the next AD at Michigan
    Another failed attempt at humor... I hang my head in shame and off up a humble apology