Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by lawhokie View Post
    It's hardly relevant now how our large state U's were established. There are plenty of non-land-grant schools that are virtually indistinguishable in mission from the land-grants. Also, land-grants are pretty diverse now: some non-land-grants fit the land-grant profile better than some land-grants.
    "Land-grant" refers to a specific educational mission. And contrary to what many believe, "land-grant" doesn't equate to "large public university that educates the masses." Land-grants were funded by the federal government (through grants of land) to provide agricultural, engineering, and military educations. Most schools fulfill the latter through ROTC these days (VT and TAMU are the two exceptions). Cornell is a land-grant. UVa was almost VA's land-grant. The one real constant for land-grants is an ag school. There are some notable exceptions (MIT was MA's engineering campus; UMass-Amherst their ag campus; UC moved its ag functions to Davis), but ag is the defining characteristic.

Quote Originally Posted by Perfesser View Post
    "Land-grant" refers to a specific educational mission. And contrary to what many believe, "land-grant" doesn't equate to "large public university that educates the masses." Land-grants were funded by the federal government (through grants of land) to provide agricultural, engineering, and military educations. Most schools fulfill the latter through ROTC these days (VT and TAMU are the two exceptions). Cornell is a land-grant. UVa was almost VA's land-grant. The one real constant for land-grants is an ag school. There are some notable exceptions (MIT was MA's engineering campus; UMass-Amherst their ag campus; UC moved its ag functions to Davis), but ag is the defining characteristic.
    Does VT have any "typical college" ROTC students, or is everything done as a member of the C of C?
    "You start a conversation you can't even finish it
    You're talkin' a lot, but you're not sayin' anything
    When I have nothing to say, my lips are sealed
    Say something once, why say it again?"
    - David Byrne

Quote Originally Posted by Edgeman View Post
    Does VT have any "typical college" ROTC students, or is everything done as a member of the C of C?
    If you're in ROTC, you're in the Corps.

(although you don't have to be in ROTC to be in the Corps)

Quote Originally Posted by Pylons View Post
    If you're in ROTC, you're in the Corps.

(although you don't have to be in ROTC to be in the Corps)
    Roger, just as I thought... Who in the world would want to be in the CoC but not in ROTC?
    - David Byrne

Roger, just as I thought... Who in the world would want to be in the CoC but not in ROTC?
    Quite a few at A&M. It guarantees a dorm slot. Plus, to be in the band, you have to be a cadet.

Quote Originally Posted by Perfesser View Post
    Quite a few at A&M. It guarantees a dorm slot. Plus, to be in the band, you have to be a cadet.
    Can you please explain the the difference between the ROTC & the C of C? TIA

Quote Originally Posted by Hoakie82 View Post
    Can you please explain the the difference between the ROTC & the C of C? TIA
    Typical ROTC guys wear civilian attire all week, and only have to put their uniform on when they go to their military classes (maybe once a week?). C of C guys (and gals...of course) wear a uniform 5+ days/week. Typical ROTC uniforms are service specific (same as worn by their respective armed services with different insignia), where C or C has their own "unique" uniforms unlike anything worn by any single branch of the armed services, and they'll never wear it in the military (well, maybe the shoes?).
    - David Byrne

People with a Corps family tradition.

People who think the military lifestyle will be better for them academically, but don't want the military commitment after graduation.

People who want some scholarship money.

Quote Originally Posted by Pylons View Post
    People who want some scholarship money.
    Who pays for scholarships for people NOT going into the military? Pretty clear it isn't DoD.
    - David Byrne

Who pays for scholarships for people NOT going into the military? Pretty clear it isn't DoD.
    probably Corps alums for the most part