Thoughts from today's game

Jarell Eddie was the same Jarell Eddie from last year. 14 pts in the 1st half, showed up big time and I was excited. Dropped all of 3 pts in the 2nd, missed a critical FT late, and missed a potential game winner at the end.

C-Raines played a heck of a 2nd half. Wish he'd done the same in the first instead of a 0pt, 0reb performance.

I like Wilson. I like him running the point and I think he's going to be pretty handy through the year.

Adam Smith can score, and will score more as the season progresses. Very quick and has some of those 'old guy at the gym' moves that fool you on defense.

JVZ looked improved. Great defense, but still not going up strong on the offensive side. Too many non 'And 1s' when he should be dunking and getting the foul.

I like Emelogu's play. I think he's going to be great out of foul trouble. Stated in another thread that 2 of those fouls were realllllly cheap by the officials and caused him to sit.

Wood was almost non-existant today. Maybe the loss of the flat-top was the loss of his game?

Beyer still hustles and is a rebound machine. Past that, not too helpful.

Leaving Johnston on #5 killed the team in the second half. I think he scored 7 straight while Johnston was guarding him and got USC-U out of a 5 pt deficit and into the lead. Johnston, however, can still shoot the 3.

Not having Barksdale hurt today. Rebounds were a bit hard to come by when they were a 50-50 fight (a good portion weren't).

Overall I didn't think it was a horrible performance in person. The end was a bit mis-managed with the haphazard last play, rejection, bad pass. It was severely mismanaged having JVZ taking a 40-footer to end the game. Did not understand that play.

The defense looked a bit improved (64pts is a pretty good place to have an opponent). Lots of blocked shots, though not many steals. Would like to see some more swipes from the backcourt.

The offense was anemic at times, and other times looked great. Still a lot of standing around while someone dribbles and watching that man. I think there were a few missed opportunities down low to Eddie and Raines when they posted up. Better awareness and vision would have gotten the ball there, and a bit more experience for the young guys will help with that. I'm not too discouraged so far with play today. Eddie had a ton of shots in the 2nd half bang around the rim and miss. Just didn't get the bounces then.

Johnston gives up about twice as many points as he scores. USC Upstate took advantage of that mismatch.

I honestly don't know what to think about this team yet. We didn't see four players on Saturday.

I'm concerned about WHY those guys didn't see the court though. We can't go another season with 2/3 of a roster again. We just can't. So if guys are being suspended by the coach, they better be for significant reasons.

Barksdale brings a huge threat to the team that a lot of people forget about, the ability to make free throws and the midrange J. It's one thing he's excelled at, had CJB been getting fouled instead of JVZ we would've won on made FTs. The guy is very talented and shoots 75% from the line which is very good for anyone, let alone a big man. I expect when we get Rankin and CJB back we'll see what this team really looks like.

Quote Originally Posted by hoosnowahokie View Post
    Jarell Eddie was the same Jarell Eddie from last year. 14 pts in the 1st half, showed up big time and I was excited. Dropped all of 3 pts in the 2nd, missed a critical FT late, and missed a potential game winner at the end.

C-Raines played a heck of a 2nd half. Wish he'd done the same in the first instead of a 0pt, 0reb performance.

I like Wilson. I like him running the point and I think he's going to be pretty handy through the year.

Adam Smith can score, and will score more as the season progresses. Very quick and has some of those 'old guy at the gym' moves that fool you on defense.

JVZ looked improved. Great defense, but still not going up strong on the offensive side. Too many non 'And 1s' when he should be dunking and getting the foul.

I like Emelogu's play. I think he's going to be great out of foul trouble. Stated in another thread that 2 of those fouls were realllllly cheap by the officials and caused him to sit.

Wood was almost non-existant today. Maybe the loss of the flat-top was the loss of his game?

Beyer still hustles and is a rebound machine. Past that, not too helpful.

Leaving Johnston on #5 killed the team in the second half. I think he scored 7 straight while Johnston was guarding him and got USC-U out of a 5 pt deficit and into the lead. Johnston, however, can still shoot the 3.

Not having Barksdale hurt today. Rebounds were a bit hard to come by when they were a 50-50 fight (a good portion weren't).

Overall I didn't think it was a horrible performance in person. The end was a bit mis-managed with the haphazard last play, rejection, bad pass. It was severely mismanaged having JVZ taking a 40-footer to end the game. Did not understand that play.

The defense looked a bit improved (64pts is a pretty good place to have an opponent). Lots of blocked shots, though not many steals. Would like to see some more swipes from the backcourt.

The offense was anemic at times, and other times looked great. Still a lot of standing around while someone dribbles and watching that man. I think there were a few missed opportunities down low to Eddie and Raines when they posted up. Better awareness and vision would have gotten the ball there, and a bit more experience for the young guys will help with that. I'm not too discouraged so far with play today. Eddie had a ton of shots in the 2nd half bang around the rim and miss. Just didn't get the bounces then.