Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Looks like we will not be playing Purdue yearly any more.

mike carmin
    #Purdue AD Burke on future of ND series: "We’re going to play on a periodic basis but we’re not going to play every year"

Opens our schedule up more and I welcome it. That just leaves us MSU now from the Big 10 as an annual opponent. One of the benefits of being a partial in the ACC we're canceling some games I'm happy about.

If anything, I'm glad you are keeping Sparty in the schedule. It's just another way of sticking it to Michigan.
    Quote Originally Posted by goldendomer View Post
    mike carmin
    #Purdue AD Burke on future of ND series: "We’re going to play on a periodic basis but we’re not going to play every year"

Opens our schedule up more and I welcome it. That just leaves us MSU now from the Big 10 as an annual opponent. One of the benefits of being a partial in the ACC we're canceling some games I'm happy about.

There is really no reason Notre Dame needed to play Michigan, Purdue, or Michigan State every year. They should probably rotate in 2 B1G teams every year. There future schedule should look something like this.

Navy
    Stanford
    USC
    "cupcake" team
    "big name" team
    ACC 1
    ACC 2
    ACC 3
    ACC 4
    ACC 5
    B1G 1
    B1G 2

Quote Originally Posted by 133304Hokie View Post
    There is really no reason Notre Dame needed to play Michigan, Purdue, or Michigan State every year. They should probably rotate in 2 B1G teams every year. There future schedule should look something like this.

Navy
    Stanford
    USC
    "cupcake" team
    "big name" team
    ACC 1
    ACC 2
    ACC 3
    ACC 4
    ACC 5
    B1G 1
    B1G 2
    I'd replace the "cupcake" team with either a SEC or Big 12 team or BYU. Notre Dame will get 1 or 2 "cupcakes" every year when they play their 5 team ACC schedule.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Line Hokie View Post
    I'd replace the "cupcake" team with either a SEC or Big 12 team or BYU. Notre Dame will get 1 or 2 "cupcakes" every year when they play their 5 team ACC schedule.
    Yeah, they'll most likely go national with scheduling rather than picking up cupcakes. Expect to see more games in Dallas or other neutral sites, IMO.
    "Knowledge is good"

--Emil Faber, 1904

Quote Originally Posted by reestuart View Post
    Yeah, they'll most likely go national with scheduling rather than picking up cupcakes. Expect to see more games in Dallas or other neutral sites, IMO.
    I can even see Notre Dame playing Wake or Duke in Charlotte. They already do that with Syracuse at MetLife Stadium. I also heard that Notre Dame would like to play a game in Dallas or Houston every 2 to 4 years, so what you're saying is very likely to happen.

Last game of the series will be @ Lucas Oil next Year(Shamrock Series game). We won't play again till 2020.
    Last edited by goldendomer; Thu Dec 19 2013 at 12:15 PM.

Maybe this is assumed but instead of "cupcake", that spot in the ND schedule will be reserved for a team that is willing to play only one game, at South Bend, rather than requiring an away game. I think South Florida filled that role a few years ago, playing only one game and at South Bend. South Florida was a good team, and won, but they were scheduled with the single home game as the main criteria, not because ND assumed they could crush them.

No ACC team fits that role, since we will always require a home game in return as specified in our agreement.

I agree that there is no reason for ND to play two or more Big 10 teams every year. In fact, I would rather they keep every other league to a maximum of 2 games per year. ND should spread those out, and only to teams that agree to favorable terms. ND needs home games and big games more than they need to play teams from any given conference.

Quote Originally Posted by 133304Hokie View Post

Navy
    Stanford
    USC
    "cupcake" team
    "big name" team
    ACC 1
    ACC 2
    ACC 3
    ACC 4
    ACC 5
    B1G 1
    B1G 2

I don't think ND can force any ACC team to play their home games at neutral sites. Those are ACC home games, and ND has to play them by agreement. If VT wants to move our game to FedEx then that is our decision (and I assume ND would have to agree, too). I can't find anything that confirms that part of the agreement, but I also wasn't able to find anything that says that ND can do force us to move our home games to anywhere.

In fact, this suggests that ND is thinking of doing the opposite, that is, using their home ACC games as shamrock series games: http://www.fbschedules.com/2013/08/n...amrock-series/

I assume that would mean moving a game like ND/UNC to say Chicago or New Orleans, to reach ND fans, not to Charlotte, where it would be just give UNC another home-ish game. That sounds great to me.

I can even see Notre Dame playing Wake or Duke in Charlotte. They already do that with Syracuse at MetLife Stadium. I also heard that Notre Dame would like to play a game in Dallas or Houston every 2 to 4 years, so what you're saying is very likely to happen.