Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by TomTurkey View Post
    go around campus and recruit players as I've heard happened when Foster reported on board. Might be campus legend, though.
    I was a student at that time and had heard that to be true. Assistant Dean Keener, in fact, was the coach assigned to the task.

Quote Originally Posted by Hokerer View Post
    Ummm, you missed the fact this is the Basketball board ?
    More proof that Tech is a football school.

are we on probation? that would be lower. program wide scandal?
    Cast off the shoes and follow the gourd!

Quote Originally Posted by Hokie CPA View Post
    As bad as they were... I think the hoo we hired was even worse. I've blocked his name from my memory he was so bad!
    Ah, the coach that shall not be named.
    "That's some catch, that Catch 22!" - Capt. Yossarian

Quote Originally Posted by Old Line Hokie View Post
    More proof that Tech is a football school.
    And 'low' is a ubiquitous term for our major sports.
    "That's some catch, that Catch 22!" - Capt. Yossarian

Won't argue the point but the following HC (SG) didn't have to go around campus and recruit players as I've heard happened when Foster reported on board. Might be campus legend, though.
    No, SG just recruited the football team in his early years.

Quote Originally Posted by vtox1 View Post
    This board is dead and no one seems to think we can win any more games than last year! Have we hit rock bottom? or will it, can it get worse?

Any scoop on how pre-season practice and prep is going? Any hope we will have a point guard who can do job? Is there an offense JJ can run that de-emphasizes need for a good point guard? seems like we have some guys who can shoot and score in the SG/SF role and decent depth in frontcourt, but a weak link as to a true PG. How does one try and compensate for this void?
    Well, we've definitely been lower as a program before, but I don't think I've ever had less hope given where we are relative to our peers. It seems unimaginable that we will be competitive at basketball for years and years to come.

Won't argue the point but the following HC (SG) didn't have to go around campus and recruit players as I've heard happened when Foster reported on board. Might be campus legend, though.
    Yep, that Hoo coach had some talent, and the cupboard was definitely not bare when SG got here. As a matter of fact, the Hoo coach's last team was probably the most talented team we've had in the past 15 years from 1-13.

Quote Originally Posted by BROman Hokie View Post
    Yep, that Hoo coach had some talent, and the cupboard was definitely not bare when SG got here. As a matter of fact, the Hoo coach's last team was probably the most talented team we've had in the past 15 years from 1-13.
    Really? The cupboard was pretty bare when SG arrived. Yes, we did have Bryant Matthews returning...that was about it. Carlos Dixon was on the roster, but was unavailable. Our incoming recruiting class wasn't all that highly thought of, although Jamon Gordon and Coleman Collins were secured by Stokes prior to Seth's arrival.

Quote Originally Posted by vtox1 View Post
    This board is dead and no one seems to think we can win any more games than last year! Have we hit rock bottom? or will it, can it get worse?

Any scoop on how pre-season practice and prep is going? Any hope we will have a point guard who can do job? Is there an offense JJ can run that de-emphasizes need for a good point guard? seems like we have some guys who can shoot and score in the SG/SF role and decent depth in frontcourt, but a weak link as to a true PG. How does one try and compensate for this void?
    Well, it is the basketball board Going by last year, I think it's possible that the Johnson years could be similar to the Allen, Hussey or Stokes years, but this is also only his 2nd year. I'm a pessimist by nature and always have my glass half empty, but I'm hoping Johnson's "player's coach" mentality helps them win enough games to not finish last. If Tech finishes in the bottom half or even last place, I understand it. If they finish between 9th and 12th with a few upset wins, I might actually consider that to be a successful year for Tech basketball, considering the talent level.

I feel I have to pull for Johnson, as a Powhatan County resident, but I still scratch my head. I get that Weaver wanted to let Greenberg go, although he let him go in the least classy way possible. But hiring Johnson seemed very uninspired and uncreative. But then again, I thought the Kevin Dresser hire was uninspired as well, and he seems to be doing well. Maybe Johnson will prove us all wrong and turn out to be the best basketball coach in Tech history... but like I said, I'm a pessimist.