Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Program all time low are we there?

This board is dead and no one seems to think we can win any more games than last year! Have we hit rock bottom? or will it, can it get worse?

Any scoop on how pre-season practice and prep is going? Any hope we will have a point guard who can do job? Is there an offense JJ can run that de-emphasizes need for a good point guard? seems like we have some guys who can shoot and score in the SG/SF role and decent depth in frontcourt, but a weak link as to a true PG. How does one try and compensate for this void?

Quote Originally Posted by vtox1 View Post
    This board is dead and no one seems to think we can win any more games than last year! Have we hit rock bottom? or will it, can it get worse?

Any scoop on how pre-season practice and prep is going? Any hope we will have a point guard who can do job? Is there an offense JJ can run that de-emphasizes need for a good point guard? seems like we have some guys who can shoot and score in the SG/SF role and decent depth in frontcourt, but a weak link as to a true PG. How does one try and compensate for this void?
    Not as long as the Frankie Allen years are on the record.
    "That's some catch, that Catch 22!" - Capt. Yossarian

You weren't around for Bobby Hussey in the 1990s, obviously.

Quote Originally Posted by HokiePoq View Post
    Yes. We have a winning record. That is not an all time low. Many of us have seen much worse. Some have mentioned losing to VMI. When I was a student, we had winning teams, but when Coach Claiborne was gone, there was much excitement over getting a good offense. What a fizzle Explosion 1972 was. The Alabama loss when our great QB Don Strock had to punt when the Tide broke our punter's leg comes to mind.
    Much worse times in the past. Others have short memories or have only been alive during the good times
    Ummm, you missed the fact this is the Basketball board ?

v

Yes at bottom but recruiting is picking up. Hopefully much better next year.

The thing with basketball is that a couple good recruits can turn things around pretty quickly. I'm not saying I have confidence that we will recruit the type of players that are needed to do that, but it CAN happen.

We play in a brutally tough league against programs that have a lot more tradition and appeal to recruits than we do. So it's not easy.

But no one who saw the Rickey Stokes years would have foreseen that the next year we would make the Big East tournament, then we would join the ACC and have a top 4 finish 2 of the next 3 years.

It's the start of the year... I'm going to let hope spring eternal and wait until I at least get my first look at some of the new guys, especially Smith & Emologu. Wait and see how Jarell Eddie responds to being a go-to guy instead of part of EG's supporting cast. Does he step up and grow into the role? Cadarian Raines at times looked like a really good frontcourt player last year, and he worked so hard gutting it out against other team's big men... can he do what he did for short periods last year more consistently? Can Barksdale continue to develop? What kind of PG play are we going to be able to get?

Lots of questions, and by the time it's all over the answers probably won't make us happy and the results might not be too great. But right now I'm going to approach this team with an open mind. Sometimes losing a superstar who was the entire focal point of a team, can actually be a good thing. Other guys who were hidden in the shadows can prove they were more than just bit players and step up as leaders and become stars. Anyone who has followed sports for a long time can probably think of a lot of examples: look at what the Cardinals have done in the two years since Pujols left, or what UVa did the year AFTER Sampson left, or what the Volunteers did the year AFTER Peyton Manning left.
    SteveA

I consider the last couple years of the Allen era the lowest point in the 33 year period since 1980. Ironically, Allen wanted to do very similar to what JJ wants with his up tempo offense and "55" full court defense, but I think players lost faith in his coaching ability. Bill Foster did what he made a history of doing at schools, but it was really a house of cards and that's what Hussey inherited. Plus I think a lot of Hussey's hopes centered around players like Jenis Grindstaff, a Mr. North Carolina IIRC, who really didn't pan out and ended up transferring. Hussey was a very good basketball mind, who had led Davidson to nice success in the 80s beating NC State one year, but his age and relating to young players I don't think helped him. I think Ricky Stokes recruited well, as evidenced by what Seth was able to do with Bryant Matthews and Carlos Dixon, he just wasn't a good X's and O's guy.

It feels desperate at the moment, b/c we all saw how bad this team looked at times after the 7-0 start. And then you lose your leading scorer. And you still wonder if JJ can win like Seth did. If last year's collapse was truly a lack of depth issue, then frankly, we should look better in January/February this year simply b/c we have more depth, at least defensively. Big front line, everyone's tall for their position except Rankin and Smith. And JJ and strength coach Jackson worked hard again this offseason getting these guys in unbelievable shape.

Some reports out of the closed scrimmage with South Carolina said the coaches were pleased with Wilson, Smith and Thompson. It was one game, and a scrimmage at that. I'm with Steve, I'm going to take a wait and see. My barometer this year is: are we competitive in the games we're not supposed to win? I don't want 30 point blowout losses to Mich St and VCU, or giving up 12 made 3's to teams. If we are competitive in those games, I'm going to feel a lot better about JJ and what he's trying to do, even if the losses start to mount.
    Last edited by HokieSA; Wed Oct 30 2013 at 12:40 PM.

We've been really bad plenty of times. This is not even close to an all-time low. All-time goes back pretty far.

Quote Originally Posted by TomTurkey View Post
    Not as long as the Frankie Allen years are on the record.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hokiestud View Post
    You weren't around for Bobby Hussey in the 1990s, obviously.
    As bad as they were... I think the hoo we hired was even worse. I've blocked his name from my memory he was so bad!
    *.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*. *.*.*.*.*.*

I just wish we would STOP with the zone blocking read option crap and line up in the I, put a hat on a hat and run the tailback behind the fullback through a designated gosh-danged hole. There is NO REASON why this program shouldn't be able to find 5 fat guys who can move some people out of the way and clear a lane for a back to get through!

Quote Originally Posted by Hokie CPA View Post
    As bad as they were... I think the hoo we hired was even worse. I've blocked his name from my memory he was so bad!
    Won't argue the point but the following HC (SG) didn't have to go around campus and recruit players as I've heard happened when Foster reported on board. Might be campus legend, though.
    "That's some catch, that Catch 22!" - Capt. Yossarian