Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Stech View Post
    WVU will not be left out of the new upper tier of college football.
    For my question I am going to make the following assumptions.

1. Your statement about WVU is correct.
    2. Notre Dame decides to become the 15th full member of the ACC.
    3. ACC is looking to expand to 16 full members and stop there (for the time being).
    4. Big XII breaks up with Texas, Oklahoma, and Oklahoma St joining another conference that isn't the ACC.
    5. Finalist for the 16th spot are down to UConn, Cincy, WVU, or someone else (i.e. Memphis, ECU, UCF, etc).

Who do you think becomes the 16th member? I realize some people believe the conferences could expand to 20 or 24 members and I don't think that isn't out of the realm of possibility. However, I am not sure the ACC, Big Ten, PAC-12, or SEC would take an aggressive approach when it comes to future expansion. If anything I could see them take a more conservative approach based on historic expansion trends.

WVU will not be left out of the new upper tier of college football.
    I'm not so sure a new division will be created, especially since the Division I Leadership Council just announced its opposition to the idea.

http://www.insidehighered.com/quickt...e-new-division

Last week, the Faculty Athletic Representatives Association also came out against a new division (there's a link to a piece on that embedded in the story linked above).

There are more smaller schools that don't want it, but don't underestimate the Big 5 Universities. They usually get what they want when it comes to football.

Quote Originally Posted by Perfesser View Post
    I'm not so sure a new division will be created, especially since the Division I Leadership Council just announced its opposition to the idea.

Last week, the Faculty Athletic Representatives Association also came out against a new division (there's a link to a piece on that embedded in the story linked above).

Quote Originally Posted by Perfesser View Post

Money talks. The NCAA will eventually allow for a new higher division. The SEC, Big 10, Pac 12, ACC, and Big 12 could threaten to leave the NCAA which would likely result in a new college athletics association. The NCAA loves the smell of money and they need the TV money from the BIG 5 in order to function as they have been for decades. No Big 5 means a financially disastrous NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament which is needed to feed most of the non-football schools.

There are more smaller schools that don't want it, but don't underestimate the Big 5 Universities. They usually get what they want when it comes to football.
    i'm starting to think they don't want it, either. they just want special treatment/rules within Division 1. outside of football and MBB, they like competing with other division 1 schools from their region who are not part of the elite 5 FBS conferences.

i'm not sure how it will work unless they simply stop caring about competitive balance, but i think we'll simply see Division Rules written to make certain things optional or voluntary. things like meal limits, true cost of attendance payments, 4 year scholarships instead of annually renewable scholarships, etc. things many of the big schools with big budgets want that the other schools either don't want or can't afford.

basically, we will still have a single Division 1 for all sports other than football. hell, they might even remove the football subdivision since i heard the FCS playoff is actually a financial loser and just allow there to be many, many more also rans in Division 1 football whose primary goal would be to make it to a meaningless bowl.

why any kid would ever choose to play MBB at Georgetown when he could get more to play at umd, uva or Pitt, i have no idea. the gap between haves and have nots in MBB will just get wider, and we will see less and less upsets in the MBB tourney over time.

basically, we will see a new division within the division, but it won't have a new name.
    "This no more resembles that than something unlike something else resembles that." - Loosely quoting PHNC

this is also, says alot, that he's done all he could do at West Va. LImited potential for any more growth, versus the mega program of Texas.

Quote Originally Posted by Muddywolf View Post
    Some of our sites are reporting that he's the man. Hard to begrudge him such a job. Wonder what his first order(s) of business will be?

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    this is also, says alot, that he's done all he could do at West Va. LImited potential for any more growth, versus the mega program of Texas.

That Texas job is one of the to 2 or 3 in the country, if not #1. You're not going to find a lot of people who wouldn't jump at it. I'm not sure it says much of anything other than WVU had a really talented guy running the show.
    "Knowledge is good"

--Emil Faber, 1904

This will be real hard for WVU. Luck is one of the sharpest AD's in the country. (can you believe he's leading WVU, that is loyalty). He's been able to stabilize WVU, and keep them relevant where they COULD have been left in the Big East with UCONN and CINCINATTI. He even got PSU, and VT to renew series and that was perceived as impossible.

ALot of WVU idiots do not have any appreciation what good sound leadership they have, and being considered for the no 1 or no 2 athletic programs in the country is really saying something. I don't know if WVU could survive with any other leader.

Quote Originally Posted by reestuart View Post
    That Texas job is one of the to 2 or 3 in the country, if not #1. You're not going to find a lot of people who wouldn't jump at it. I'm not sure it says much of anything other than WVU had a really talented guy running the show.