Page 1 of 20 123456711 ... LastLast

I'm a little surprised at the expectations of Hokie fans.

The sad and unavoidable fact is that Hokies are average fans and they don't support the program in a manner commensurate with their own expectations.

Why are we supposed to be better than Duke, or UVa, or Pitt? We have a mid-sized stadium that we can't fill. And it's not just this year - I remember plenty of empty seats for the Clemson game at Lane. Where is the money, the support?

And let's talk about athletic revenue: why is VT barely in the top 50? One reason is Hokies are some stingy mfers. VT alumni are relatively successful - I've seen the numbers. So why don't we donate? Why are Boston College, UVa, DUKE, WVU, and TCU ahead of VT in athletic revenues?

So, before you rip off another complaint about VT's on-field performance, consider Hokie fans' and your own off-field performance. I don't consider somebody whose sole contribution is flipping on the HD on Saturday to be truly vested in the program.

My Hokie Club rep said something interesting a few years back that has stuck with me. He said that Beamer had spent two decades building VT into a national power, yet Hokie fans' expectations grew at a much higher rate than donations.

Bottom line: 6-2 isn't what Hokie fans should expect, it's what they paid for.

Quote Originally Posted by lawhokie View Post
    The sad and unavoidable fact is that Hokies are average fans and they don't support the program in a manner commensurate with their own expectations.

Why are we supposed to be better than Duke, or UVa, or Pitt? We have a mid-sized stadium that we can't fill. And it's not just this year - I remember plenty of empty seats for the Clemson game at Lane. Where is the money, the support?

And let's talk about athletic revenue: why is VT barely in the top 50? One reason is Hokies are some stingy mfers. VT alumni are relatively successful - I've seen the numbers. So why don't we donate? Why are Boston College, UVa, DUKE, WVU, and TCU ahead of VT in athletic revenues?

So, before you rip off another complaint about VT's on-field performance, consider Hokie fans' and your own off-field performance. I don't consider somebody whose sole contribution is flipping on the HD on Saturday to be truly vested in the program.

My Hokie Club rep said something interesting a few years back that has stuck with me. He said that Beamer had spent two decades building VT into a national power, yet Hokie fans' expectations grew at a much higher rate than donations.

In every sports team in the world winning games, big games, puts fans in the seats and opens check books. Why would we continue to support mediocrity by condoning it?

Stop losing games we should not be losing, and START winning some that matter, and I'll start giving more.

I'm sorry but this program started in 95 with a win over Texas, and it peaked in 99 with the trip to the big dance.
    That's a scary thought... That the program peaked over 14 years ago and it has been in a steady state of decline.

Which big game have we won against a worthy opponent? We are nationally labeled as the Chokies for a reason.
    We lose games we should not be losing while always losing on the big stage.

Beating Cinci in the Orange bowl doesn't count, cause Cinci that year had no business playing in the Orange Bowl.

Banned
    So you're saying we couldn't afford to pay for decent offensive coaches and that's why Beamer chose who he did over the years? I hope that's the case because it's scary to think of having a head coach that is capable of such poor decisions with no other factors involved

I donate... just not to athletics.

My Hokie Club rep said ....a few years back that he was ...stuck with me..
    Yep.

Quote Originally Posted by csHokie04 View Post
    I donate... just not to athletics.
    That is your choice, of course, and I respect that decision. Neither do I know how you feel about the state of the football program.

However, in my opinion, just like those citizens who choose not to vote should not complain about our government, I personally don't think those who don't contribute to the Hokie Club should complain about our athletic program.

Fair enough. I don't tend to complain about the state of the program either, so I probably wasn't really the target of the OP. I was more making a comment on the stingy part...

Quote Originally Posted by VTChip View Post
    That is your choice, of course, and I respect that decision. Neither do I know how you feel about the state of the football program.

However, in my opinion, just like those citizens who choose not to vote should not complain about our government, I personally don't think those who don't contribute to the Hokie Club should complain about our athletic program.

I think after "perspective" posts, "blame the fans" posts are my favorite.

I apologize for showing up for the last 50+ years and being a Hokie Club Member for 25 of those years and Not being a VT grad . But I hope somebody Steps up and Takes Credit for the Mess we have seen in the last eight years ! I can't cover that one or take credit for it. I'm just a die hard fan .....Please help on that !!!