Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 35
  1. #11

    Join Date
    October 14, 2003
    Posts
    10,282
    Quote Originally Posted by CobbCountyHokie View Post
    If the conference championship game gets special weighting or consideration, then it may signal the end for the Big 12 and it will likely end the independence of Notre Dame.
    "special weighting" vs. "being disqualified for not being a conference champ" are two different things. Trust me, an undefeated independent Notre Dame will not be left out of the playoff. And if that's the case, this won't drive ND to the ACC.

    Also, it will take more than 3 teams leaving the B12 to have it fold. I'd say at least 5, if not 8. That's why I'm fine with a complete ACC-Big12 merger as long as Texas and Oklahoma come along. If a Kansas wants to slip off to the Big10, or OkSt to the SEC, or TT to the Pac12, that's fine. But I say "think big and be inclusive." And to me, this has been what is missing from conference expansion over the past decade. No one has the balls to do it right. If the ACC would have went all in and invited the lion's share of the BigEast, instead of just VT, BC, and UM, I think everyone would be better off now.

  2. #12

    Join Date
    January 01, 2005
    Posts
    371
    Quote Originally Posted by Maroon Baboon View Post
    "special weighting" vs. "being disqualified for not being a conference champ" are two different things. Trust me, an undefeated independent Notre Dame will not be left out of the playoff. And if that's the case, this won't drive ND to the ACC.
    But a 1 loss Notre Dame probably would be left out if there were 4 conference champions with only 1 loss. They may be willing to accept this to keep their independence, then again they might not. Only time will tell.

  3. #13

    Join Date
    December 22, 2002
    Posts
    4,351
    I think what will force them is the first time they make it over a great SEC or B1G team that's been upset in a championship game. THEN, the real power brokers, conference commissioners, will take away ND's "special" seat at the cfball table. They'll just tell them they are no longer welcome to send representatives when CONFERENCES are making decisions. That day will dimension enough. I can't imagine Bama, Oregon, FSU, or Oklahoma is too happy with ND having recruiting advantages even.

  4. #14
    PadrosWindup's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 16, 2003
    Posts
    5,013
    I think it's the opposite. It will be after a deserving ND is left out of the Final four, because they didn't have the conference championship to add to their resume. I don't think the conference commissioners are looking to 'punish' ND nearly as much as fans are. They realize the value the ND and its history bring to college football, and they realize that their conferences will make less money by trying to exclude or change ND in some way.

    Quote Originally Posted by chuckd4vt View Post
    I think what will force them is the first time they make it over a great SEC or B1G team that's been upset in a championship game. THEN, the real power brokers, conference commissioners, will take away ND's "special" seat at the cfball table. They'll just tell them they are no longer welcome to send representatives when CONFERENCES are making decisions. That day will dimension enough. I can't imagine Bama, Oregon, FSU, or Oklahoma is too happy with ND having recruiting advantages even.
    BCS level college football is a resource war, not a morality play.

  5. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by 133304Hokie View Post
    I'm pretty sure that's not accurate. From my understanding, the whole conference would have to be dissolved to nullify the GoR, which I assume, like other conferences, would probably require at least a 2/3 (or 3/4) vote under Big 12 by-laws. So at least 7 (or 8) schools would have to be for disbanding the conference to nullify the GoR. MAYBE they could change the Big 12 by-laws with a simple majority vote, but even then that would still require at least 6 schools.

    Conclusion: you would have to find a new conference home that 6, 7, or possibly 8 of the 10 current Big 12 schools would prefer MORE than the current Big 12 for it to realistically happen. I just don't see that happening.
    I am not sure schools can vote to disband a conference if they are planning to join a new conference. I think once a school formally accepts to join a new conference, then the old conference has the right to limit what decisions the departing school can vote on. I think the only way the GoR can be terminated is if enough schools depart at the same time and the conference (with its remaining members) is forced to dissolve because it can't find any replacement schools (see the dissolvement of the Great West).

  6. #16

    Join Date
    February 16, 2001
    Posts
    14,845
    I have been saying for almost two years that the Conference and eventually the Division Championships weighting will make it hard to stay independent. That is why when the University Presidents lead by Virginia Tech's Charles Stegar voted not only for a playoff, but one where a conference championship would be significant component in June of 2012...you have one of the biggest shifts in college football history.

    It is also why Notre Dame has been saying for over a decade that it will stay independent as long as it doesn't impede their ability to get to the Football National Championship game. Eventually it will do just that, but college football is an aircraft carrier and it will takes a while to turn it. However, have no doubt, the turn is happening.

    Quote Originally Posted by CobbCountyHokie View Post
    It may sound a bit crazy but the next big event in the realignment world will come from a group of "experts". Once that group of experts opines from their mountain top perch, the rest of the college sports map may finally see its last chapter of movement.

    What am I talking about?

    The college football playoff committee will need to begin to announce their standard for selecting the final four teams that will be granted access to the playoff. The key question at hand that needs to be determined is how much value a conference championship game will have on securing selection into the tournament. If the conference championship game gets special weighting or consideration, then it may signal the end for the Big 12 and it will likely end the independence of Notre Dame.

    We all know that Notre Dame went into a conference for everything except for football because their path to the NCAA tournament in all sports and especially basketball was almost impossible without conference affiliation. Now, if the college football playoff goes in the same direction, it will likely hasten their move from independence. In the Big 12, if a championship game is needed, how long will it take for them to either find new members or to disband?

    The Dude has commented numerous times that the Big 12 GOR will keep Texas and the other schools locked up for 10 more years. However, there is one point that he is missing. If the Big 12 were to shrink down to 7 schools, then the GOR is nullified and it is open season. I am sure that lawyers will earn plenty of fees over this one but it is interesting that if a scenario developed where the Big 10 invited Kansas and UConn to their league and the ACC invited Texas and Oklahoma that the Big 12 would implode without any GOR to hold the pieces together.

    Anyhow...just something to think about on a Friday afternoon.

  7. #17

    Join Date
    December 22, 2002
    Posts
    4,351
    ND needs the other power conferences MUCH more than they need the Irish. ND has shown its hand as to which conference it will go to, and the B1G, SEC, Pac12, and Big 12 schools no longer have a need to pamper them and allow these special privileges. All it will take is for Bama or Ohio State to put it to a vote to no longer allow ND special treatment, and it will happen. ND will then quickly make its way into the ACC.

  8. #18
    Old Line Hokie's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 05, 2001
    Location
    3659′36″N 7813′30″W
    Posts
    3,481
    Quote Originally Posted by CobbCountyHokie View Post
    The Dude has commented numerous times that the Big 12 GOR will keep Texas and the other schools locked up for 10 more years. However, there is one point that he is missing. If the Big 12 were to shrink down to 7 schools, then the GOR is nullified and it is open season. I am sure that lawyers will earn plenty of fees over this one but it is interesting that if a scenario developed where the Big 10 invited Kansas and UConn to their league and the ACC invited Texas and Oklahoma that the Big 12 would implode without any GOR to hold the pieces together.

    Anyhow...just something to think about on a Friday afternoon.
    That's the #1 reason why I think Texas and Oklahoma don't want to expand past 10. If the other 8 Big 12 members lobby for 2 or more members, it will be interesting to see how Texas and Oklahoma reacts. A negative response would likely indicate that they aren't planning to stay in the Big 12 in the near future. I can see the other 8 members trying to add schools like USF, UCF, BYU, Cincinnati, and Houston to avoid the breakdown of the Big 12. I can also see a scenario where Kansas/KSU and Oklahoma/OSU secretly make a pact with Texas in a move to the ACC, Big 10, or Pac 12.

  9. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    February 21, 2013
    Posts
    65

    If the Big 12 were to shrink down to 7 schools

    Quote Originally Posted by CobbCountyHokie View Post
    It may sound a bit crazy but the next big event in the realignment world will come from a group of "experts". Once that group of experts opines from their mountain top perch, the rest of the college sports map may finally see its last chapter of movement.

    What am I talking about?

    The college football playoff committee will need to begin to announce their standard for selecting the final four teams that will be granted access to the playoff. The key question at hand that needs to be determined is how much value a conference championship game will have on securing selection into the tournament. If the conference championship game gets special weighting or consideration, then it may signal the end for the Big 12 and it will likely end the independence of Notre Dame.

    We all know that Notre Dame went into a conference for everything except for football because their path to the NCAA tournament in all sports and especially basketball was almost impossible without conference affiliation. Now, if the college football playoff goes in the same direction, it will likely hasten their move from independence. In the Big 12, if a championship game is needed, how long will it take for them to either find new members or to disband?

    The Dude has commented numerous times that the Big 12 GOR will keep Texas and the other schools locked up for 10 more years. However, there is one point that he is missing. If the Big 12 were to shrink down to 7 schools, then the GOR is nullified and it is open season. I am sure that lawyers will earn plenty of fees over this one but it is interesting that if a scenario developed where the Big 10 invited Kansas and UConn to their league and the ACC invited Texas and Oklahoma that the Big 12 would implode without any GOR to hold the pieces together.

    Anyhow...just something to think about on a Friday afternoon.
    How could the XII shrink to 7 before the GOR is nullified? Only Texas could escape the GOR (maybe) but it would require a convoluted series of "if + if + if..." actions by several parites. Not gonna happen.
    B1G would love to have 16 before they make their next TV deals. But the only attractive candidates are under GOR restrictions, or are in the SEC. No likely moves out there. We can rule out UCONN, CINCY, and anyone else in the neighborhood.
    Time for wild speculation! Rutgers was repeatedly overlooked by the ACC and was never coveted at all by the B1G until cable TV became a revenue stream for college football. The BTN was the impetus for adding Rutgers and the same math could apply to two West coast teams that have football reputations no better or worse that the Scarlet Knights: San Diego State in SoCal and San Jose State in NoCal. Both are in huge, dense, affluent cities ready-made for cable TV commerce.
    I have no reason to think that the B1G would want these two, except as cable carriage opportunities for the BTN. Why should the PAC 12 have the gigantic California market all to themselves? If the XII was more invested in a Conference TV network, they might make the same move.

  10. #20

    Join Date
    January 01, 2005
    Posts
    392
    I don't know that the other conferences will want to pass a rule that will push ND into the ACC. That will strengthen the ACC and move them up in the conference standings. If you were in the BIG 10 would you vote to make the ACC stronger. Especially after ND turned you down.

    I think the more likely scenario is that ND and others will push to expand the playoffs to 8 teams. Most people think that will happen eventually. It would solve ND's issue and they could stay independent.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •