Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

The next shoe to drop in the realignment process

It may sound a bit crazy but the next big event in the realignment world will come from a group of "experts". Once that group of experts opines from their mountain top perch, the rest of the college sports map may finally see its last chapter of movement.

What am I talking about?

The college football playoff committee will need to begin to announce their standard for selecting the final four teams that will be granted access to the playoff. The key question at hand that needs to be determined is how much value a conference championship game will have on securing selection into the tournament. If the conference championship game gets special weighting or consideration, then it may signal the end for the Big 12 and it will likely end the independence of Notre Dame.

We all know that Notre Dame went into a conference for everything except for football because their path to the NCAA tournament in all sports and especially basketball was almost impossible without conference affiliation. Now, if the college football playoff goes in the same direction, it will likely hasten their move from independence. In the Big 12, if a championship game is needed, how long will it take for them to either find new members or to disband?

The Dude has commented numerous times that the Big 12 GOR will keep Texas and the other schools locked up for 10 more years. However, there is one point that he is missing. If the Big 12 were to shrink down to 7 schools, then the GOR is nullified and it is open season. I am sure that lawyers will earn plenty of fees over this one but it is interesting that if a scenario developed where the Big 10 invited Kansas and UConn to their league and the ACC invited Texas and Oklahoma that the Big 12 would implode without any GOR to hold the pieces together.

Anyhow...just something to think about on a Friday afternoon.

Right now it would seem that the SEC and Big XII would be against heavy weighted conference champion criteria. Hopefully the ACC B1G and PAC 12 would be for it.

Quote Originally Posted by CobbCountyHokie View Post
    It may sound a bit crazy but the next big event in the realignment world will come from a group of "experts". Once that group of experts opines from their mountain top perch, the rest of the college sports map may finally see its last chapter of movement.

What am I talking about?

The college football playoff committee will need to begin to announce their standard for selecting the final four teams that will be granted access to the playoff. The key question at hand that needs to be determined is how much value a conference championship game will have on securing selection into the tournament. If the conference championship game gets special weighting or consideration, then it may signal the end for the Big 12 and it will likely end the independence of Notre Dame.

We all know that Notre Dame went into a conference for everything except for football because their path to the NCAA tournament in all sports and especially basketball was almost impossible without conference affiliation. Now, if the college football playoff goes in the same direction, it will likely hasten their move from independence. In the Big 12, if a championship game is needed, how long will it take for them to either find new members or to disband?

The Dude has commented numerous times that the Big 12 GOR will keep Texas and the other schools locked up for 10 more years. However, there is one point that he is missing. If the Big 12 were to shrink down to 7 schools, then the GOR is nullified and it is open season. I am sure that lawyers will earn plenty of fees over this one but it is interesting that if a scenario developed where the Big 10 invited Kansas and UConn to their league and the ACC invited Texas and Oklahoma that the Big 12 would implode without any GOR to hold the pieces together.

Wait, you're saying that the GoR is valid only if there are more than 7 teams in the Big XII-II-II+II? If three teams leave, the remaining seven do NOT control their media rights?
    No trees were harmed in the making of this post. However, billions of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Quote Originally Posted by Freddyburg Hokie View Post
    Wait, you're saying that the GoR is valid only if there are more than 7 teams in the Big XII-II-II+II? If three teams leave, the remaining seven do NOT control their media rights?
    I'm pretty sure that's not accurate. From my understanding, the whole conference would have to be dissolved to nullify the GoR, which I assume, like other conferences, would probably require at least a 2/3 (or 3/4) vote under Big 12 by-laws. So at least 7 (or 8) schools would have to be for disbanding the conference to nullify the GoR. MAYBE they could change the Big 12 by-laws with a simple majority vote, but even then that would still require at least 6 schools.

Conclusion: you would have to find a new conference home that 6, 7, or possibly 8 of the 10 current Big 12 schools would prefer MORE than the current Big 12 for it to realistically happen. I just don't see that happening.
    Last edited by 133304Hokie; Fri Oct 25 2013 at 03:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Freddyburg Hokie View Post
    I recall seeing a number, 7 maybe (not sure). But what I saw was the Big 12 could simply add replacement teams to get back to the required magic number.

I agree that the Playoff committee decision regarding how much weight they give CC games will be interesting but I assume we will not move even if it gets great weight in the equation. We will have to be left out of a playoff for the admin to feel they have the"cover" to join in full. So they will roll the dice.

The Big 12 it takes 75% to dissolve the conference so 8 teams have to have homes for that to happen otherwise whoever leaves will lose their home rights.

Quote Originally Posted by CobbCountyHokie View Post

What am I talking about?

Most definitely the weight placed on first Conference Champion and second whether it was awarded via a Conference Championship Game will have an affect on Notre Dame and the Big XII. It may have an affect on the SEC too. Think about this. Someone like Georgia, Tennessee, Auburn, or South Carolina might decide it to be easier to win an ACC Championship Game than a SEC Championship Game and want to move. Or someone like LSU or Arkansas might decide it to be easier to win a Big XII Conference Championship Game than a SEC Conference Championship Game.

It's an important criteria for schools that fancy themselves winning the National Championship and looking for the best path to it. It will be interesting to see it unfold.

Quote Originally Posted by HOO86 View Post
    Most definitely the weight placed on first Conference Champion and second whether it was awarded via a Conference Championship Game will have an affect on Notre Dame and the Big XII. It may have an affect on the SEC too. Think about this. Someone like Georgia, Tennessee, Auburn, or South Carolina might decide it to be easier to win an ACC Championship Game than a SEC Championship Game and want to move. Or someone like LSU or Arkansas might decide it to be easier to win a Big XII Conference Championship Game than a SEC Conference Championship Game.

It's an important criteria for schools that fancy themselves winning the National Championship and looking for the best path to it. It will be interesting to see it unfold.
    In 1994 I a got to talk to a someone very high up in the University of Florida equivalent of the Hokie Club. (Got tx to the final four in Charlotte thru him.) He said that UF was really considered leaving the SEC and joining the ACC at one point. Some at UF liked the idea of rubbing elbows with the academic elite. Thought that was interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by DMaroonHokie View Post
    In 1994 I a got to talk to a someone very high up in the University of Florida equivalent of the Hokie Club. (Got tx to the final four in Charlotte thru him.) He said that UF was really considered leaving the SEC and joining the ACC at one point. Some at UF liked the idea of rubbing elbows with the academic elite. Thought that was interesting.
    If over the next decade we start seeing Louisville doing really well in football due to access to an ACC schedule as well as continue to thrive in basketball, it wouldn't shock me to see Kentucky sniffing around the ACC either. I don't know if the ACC would have any interest in Kentucky, but that's what makes Conference Realignment scenarios fun.

The SEC is a conference concentrated in football powers that tend to cannibalize each other. As Bobby Bowden says, "They beat each other up so bad. Florida State should not want to go there." It has its advantages and also its disadvantages. Being a top 15 team year in and year out and never a threat to make a BCS tier bowl like South Carolina is can get old.

As far as SEC schools fitting the ACC academically, discouting Texas A&M and Missouri who do, Florida, Georgia, and Vanderbilt do very well. That's before considering that the ACC took Louisville. Given this, now they all do. But some better than others.

Quote Originally Posted by HOO86 View Post
    If over the next decade we start seeing Louisville doing really well in football due to access to an ACC schedule as well as continue to thrive in basketball, it wouldn't shock me to see Kentucky sniffing around the ACC either. I don't know if the ACC would have any interest in Kentucky, but that's what makes Conference Realignment scenarios fun.

The SEC is a conference concentrated in football powers that tend to cannibalize each other. As Bobby Bowden says, "They beat each other up so bad. Florida State should not want to go there." It has its advantages and also its disadvantages. Being a top 15 team year in and year out and never a threat to make a BCS tier bowl like South Carolina is can get old.

As far as SEC schools fitting the ACC academically, discouting Texas A&M and Missouri who do, Florida, Georgia, and Vanderbilt do very well. That's before considering that the ACC took Louisville. Given this, now they all do. But some better than others.

I think the bottom line is money. Wonder how many SEC schools would consider switching to the ACC if the money payout was similar? Only thing keeping the SEC together is the hugh payout to each school. If the payouts start to equalize, the loyalty to conferences will start to diminish.