Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678913 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 190
  1. #21
    Hubman's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 01, 2003
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA (757!!)
    Posts
    8,990
    Quote Originally Posted by BeamerBallin View Post
    huh? now your moderator?
    On this topic, yes. I like your passion. I think we know where you stand. Others don't completely agree......maybe others will.......

    I like that you have taken your argument to the financial world and perhaps global economics as a whole. The NCAA and college football fits right in. Maybe there are different degrees to "wrong"? Or is everything you do that does not comply with the rules "wrong", therefore you should never do it?

    It sounds like you are in the would not cheat in any capacity camp. That is cool; however, I am not sure it is the norm these days (for better or worse). There are so many benefits that COULD come from bending the rules and doing "wrong", especially if it is proven that you will not get punished for it......like I said, nobody cares who cheats in athletics. Athletics, both pro and college, are a diversion from our everyday lives. Unless we bet on the games (which is illegal in all but one state), the outcome should not really affect the everyday Joe.....HOWEVER, the outcome DOES affect others that stand to benefit immensely. In an environment that allows people to benefit immensely (and I mean financially), and does not heavily punish any "wrong" doings to reap those financial benefits, why not cheat in some capacity to make your dollar?

    It's not a black and white issue. I suspect that it's an issue that has kept many a man tied into major college football up at night....pondering....
    "Don't give up......Don't ever give up." -- Jimmy V

  2. #22

    Join Date
    September 18, 2002
    Posts
    5,562

    Nobody would accuse us of having any kind of offense

    Quote Originally Posted by OrangeHokieFan View Post
    I'm down to buy a national title at this point. Don't care how we get out bc apparently it doesn't matter unless you have previous offenses
    Previous or current. But we do have a good defense.

  3. #23

    Join Date
    April 24, 2001
    Posts
    37,255
    Quote Originally Posted by Edgeman View Post
    Sorry, I have nothing.

    It appears cheating does pay when it comes to NCAA athletics. It pays for the school in increased wins, it pays for the players who receive the extra cash, and it pays for the NCAA board members who fatten their nest egg with suitcases full of cash to look the other way.
    Doing the right thing is about being able to feel good about your behavior, since you want to throw that out of the discussion there isn't a reason to not cheat. I don't want VT to go that route because I hope our school has standards above "do whatever you can get away with."

  4. #24
    Hubman's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 01, 2003
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA (757!!)
    Posts
    8,990
    Quote Originally Posted by OrangeHokieFan View Post
    I'm down to buy a national title at this point. Don't care how we get out bc apparently it doesn't matter unless you have previous offenses

    Clemson won a national championship in 1981....the next year they were hit with NCAA infractions......does anyone care? No. Does anyone remember? No. They still have that national championship trophy and remind us that they have it all the time.........do their infractions mean anything to you, me, or the general public? Should they? The same can be said for USC, Miami.......the list can go on.....

    The NCAA has set the stage for, at the very least, some form of cheating. I think we just need a menu or formula to figure out what cheating is OK and what is not.....
    Last edited by Hubman; Tue Oct 22 2013 at 12:03 PM.
    "Don't give up......Don't ever give up." -- Jimmy V

  5. #25

    Join Date
    April 24, 2001
    Posts
    37,255
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubman View Post
    SMH...focus less on me and more on the topic...state your case or go elsewhere...you seem passionate about not cheating, so, tell us more of why we should not in this environment...
    Are you trolling or
    Do you really not see how you are pretty clearly taking a position in the issue, the one where you said to remove morals and ethics in a discussion of a moral/ethical issue.

  6. #26

    Join Date
    May 17, 2004
    Posts
    5,346
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubman View Post

    It's not a black and white issue. .
    No, you're wrong it is definitely a black and white issue. It's just not a black and white issue for you and those that believe the way you do. You know it's funny, you get the angle now that you are just driving discussion now when people read your post the way it is to be read. You're lobbying for doing wrong because those that break the rules get money or fame or whatever and you dismiss any of the consequences. But then when someone calls you on it, you play moderator and pretend like you have no opinion he matter after you already stated your opinion in the original post. It's obvious what you are doing.

  7. #27

    Join Date
    April 24, 2001
    Posts
    37,255
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubman View Post
    Clemson won a national championship in 1981....the next year they were hit with NCAA infractions......does anyone care? No. Does anyone remember? No. They still have that national championship trophy and remind us that they have it all the time.........do their infractions mean anything to you, me, or the general public? Should they? The same can be said for USC, Miami.......the list can go on.....

    The NCAA has set the stage for, at the very least, some form of cheating. I think we just need a menu or formula to figure out what cheating is OK and what is not.....
    Seeing as you remember them going on probation people clearly remember it occurred.

  8. #28
    Hubman's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 01, 2003
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA (757!!)
    Posts
    8,990
    Quote Originally Posted by Manbearpig View Post
    Are you trolling or
    Do you really not see how you are pretty clearly taking a position in the issue, the one where you said to remove morals and ethics in a discussion of a moral/ethical issue.
    The ethical debate is too easy. I suspect that people will throw that in anyway, and they have. The difficult part is trying to make a case for not cheating when ethics are thrown out the door. It is very clear that the NCAA does not worry too much about ethics, so I assume that several people in major college football would not as well. Feel free to disprove the original post and say morals/ethics cannot be thrown out the door; however, I have seen many a many and body do it....so, I know it can be done.....
    "Don't give up......Don't ever give up." -- Jimmy V

  9. #29
    Hubman's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 01, 2003
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA (757!!)
    Posts
    8,990
    Quote Originally Posted by BeamerBallin View Post
    It's obvious what you are doing.
    Generating debate on a message board? Bingo! It's better than another sugar cookie debate, huh?
    "Don't give up......Don't ever give up." -- Jimmy V

  10. #30
    Hubman's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 01, 2003
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA (757!!)
    Posts
    8,990
    Quote Originally Posted by Manbearpig View Post
    Seeing as you remember them going on probation people clearly remember it occurred.
    Yes, I am sure 17 year old kids that were born in the 1990's remember.......again, you, me and Joe are not really a factor in any of this......the players, coaches, and all that are going to be tied to the college football landscape are......
    "Don't give up......Don't ever give up." -- Jimmy V

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •