Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 913141516171819
Results 181 to 190 of 190
  1. #181
    Hokie CPA's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 28, 1999
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Posts
    61,763
    Five pages into the thread, I suppose I can offer a comment....

    How you behave under scrutiny isn't as important as how you behave when no one is watching. Rules can be bent, but never broken, as far as I'm concerned. If 10 or 11 wins is our ceiling while running a clean program, then I can live with 10 or 11 wins. Winning a national title just isn't important enough to tarnish the good name of Frank Beamer, Virginia Tech, or our family oriented program. I've said it before and I'll say it again: the goal of any given season is to win the ACC. Anything won over and above that (bowl game, national championship) is gravy on top of a successful season. Win the ACC. And win it cleanly.
    *.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*. *.*.*.*.*.*

    I just wish we would STOP with the zone blocking read option crap and line up in the I, put a hat on a hat and run the tailback behind the fullback through a designated gosh-danged hole. There is NO REASON why this program shouldn't be able to find 5 fat guys who can move some people out of the way and clear a lane for a back to get through!

  2. #182
    Baltimore Hokie's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 07, 1999
    Posts
    26,089
    Quote Originally Posted by Hokie CPA View Post
    Five pages into the thread, I suppose I can offer a comment....

    How you behave under scrutiny isn't as important as how you behave when no one is watching. Rules can be bent, but never broken, as far as I'm concerned. If 10 or 11 wins is our ceiling while running a clean program, then I can live with 10 or 11 wins. Winning a national title just isn't important enough to tarnish the good name of Frank Beamer, Virginia Tech, or our family oriented program. I've said it before and I'll say it again: the goal of any given season is to win the ACC. Anything won over and above that (bowl game, national championship) is gravy on top of a successful season. Win the ACC. And win it cleanly.

    We tend to take it a step further regarding recruiting and that's what I think needs to stop. We should do everything within the rules to close the deal on our targets - and that means continuing to recruit them even after they verbal to other schools. No one does us the courtesy of leaving our verbals alone, and we should reciprocate.
    "Upon examination, it was clear that the spine of the PATT wasn't fully formed and, therefore, quite easy to snap." - Charles Darwin, "The Origin of Species"

  3. #183

    Join Date
    October 07, 1999
    Posts
    3,599
    Quote Originally Posted by Hokie CPA View Post
    Five pages into the thread, I suppose I can offer a comment....

    How you behave under scrutiny isn't as important as how you behave when no one is watching. Rules can be bent, but never broken, as far as I'm concerned. If 10 or 11 wins is our ceiling while running a clean program, then I can live with 10 or 11 wins. Winning a national title just isn't important enough to tarnish the good name of Frank Beamer, Virginia Tech, or our family oriented program. I've said it before and I'll say it again: the goal of any given season is to win the ACC. Anything won over and above that (bowl game, national championship) is gravy on top of a successful season. Win the ACC. And win it cleanly.
    My head is spinning from reading this thread. I think Hubman was really just venting that the disincentives to cheat vs. the incentives not to cheat aren't in proper balance. As to the poster who used Satan and Satonic a half dozen times...ummm, pardon, but I choose not to party with you. As to Hokie CPA - as usual I'm down with what you say.

  4. #184

    Join Date
    January 01, 2005
    Location
    Blacksburg
    Posts
    4,404
    Quote Originally Posted by Hokie CPA View Post
    Five pages into the thread, I suppose I can offer a comment....

    How you behave under scrutiny isn't as important as how you behave when no one is watching. Rules can be bent, but never broken, as far as I'm concerned. If 10 or 11 wins is our ceiling while running a clean program, then I can live with 10 or 11 wins. Winning a national title just isn't important enough to tarnish the good name of Frank Beamer, Virginia Tech, or our family oriented program. I've said it before and I'll say it again: the goal of any given season is to win the ACC. Anything won over and above that (bowl game, national championship) is gravy on top of a successful season. Win the ACC. And win it cleanly.
    I'm with you CPA. To win a NC many things would have to fall into place. If breaking the rules are some of those things, I would rather not win one.

  5. #185
    Hubman's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 01, 2003
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA (757!!)
    Posts
    8,990
    Quote Originally Posted by hokie_n_savannah View Post
    I would rather quit playing than cheat. Period.
    So there are certainly some on this thread that would not mind bending the rules, as long as we don't break them. Some simply don't really care at all in this environment; however, there are still some that think cheating is not acceptable under any circumstances......

    So I ask, is this just a football thing or does it go for other sports as well? I ask because our Men's Soccer program committed NCAA recruiting violations within the last five years. We admitted it. We took the punishment. I don't recall seeing a lot of hubbub on here about it. I don't remember any people tearing up their diplomas or saying they are going to cheer for another school. We all just kept living our lives.........so.....

    Is this just a football thing because it has so much exposure, or are we already as bad as UNC and Miami, and should stop throwing stones in our glass house?
    "Don't give up......Don't ever give up." -- Jimmy V

  6. #186
    Hubman's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 01, 2003
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA (757!!)
    Posts
    8,990
    Quote Originally Posted by laphroaig View Post
    I'm with you CPA. To win a NC many things would have to fall into place. If breaking the rules are some of those things, I would rather not win one.
    I am with both of you. I just do not think everyone is. I think those that are not with you, are probably not going to tell you either.....

    I know fans that would have no problem at all if their teams cheated to win a championship, just so they could boast that their team won a championship......sigh.......
    "Don't give up......Don't ever give up." -- Jimmy V

  7. #187

    Join Date
    April 29, 2005
    Posts
    8,812
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubman View Post
    I am with both of you. I just do not think everyone is. I think those that are not with you, are probably not going to tell you either.....

    I know fans that would have no problem at all if their teams cheated to win a championship, just so they could boast that their team won a championship......sigh.......
    It's all about priorities. The American way is to make it happen. If it is winning a Championship, or getting a raise... many people will do whatever it takes. It reminds me of who submitted the patten for the telephone first. Two people, or teams had invented it... one just got it submitted sooner, maybe even on the same day. Was there some underhandedness involved? I don't know, but when there's a clear cut winner and reward for being first... people will do what it takes to hit the lottery. I think it was Bell instead of Brown.... but who has ever heard of Brown? Or maybe it was Mr. Gray, but that's partially my point, too.

    Right or wrong... the spoils go to the winner.... and that is what motivates most everyone. At least fair reward for due diligence.

    Now, there are some people who love the game of football... and it is their top priority to do it right... play by the rules, master strategy, personnel/talent and motivation to put the best team on the field. College football wouldn't be college football without some form of competitive force. Unfortunately good guys tend not to finish first, but if everyone valued being able to sleep at night, and live with themselves with a clear conscience... things may be different. I'm sure Bell wasn't excited to get the telephone out to the public first so everyone could benefit from what he invented... you know good will towards man, and improving everyone's quality of life by his hard work, without something in it for him.

    Competition is good, but what drives it may not be as beneficial. Players are knocking themselves out, literally and figuratively, to be the man on his football team, or at his position. It may be even uglier when looking at the Miss Universe pageant, or any cheer leading squad. Is the focus team, self, or universalizing good will for all? Every situation has pros and cons.
    Last edited by Havertown Hokie; Thu Oct 24 2013 at 02:58 PM.

  8. #188

    Join Date
    January 01, 2005
    Location
    Blacksburg
    Posts
    4,404
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubman View Post
    So there are certainly some on this thread that would not mind bending the rules, as long as we don't break them. Some simply don't really care at all in this environment; however, there are still some that think cheating is not acceptable under any circumstances......

    So I ask, is this just a football thing or does it go for other sports as well? I ask because our Men's Soccer program committed NCAA recruiting violations within the last five years. We admitted it. We took the punishment. I don't recall seeing a lot of hubbub on here about it. I don't remember any people tearing up their diplomas or saying they are going to cheer for another school. We all just kept living our lives.........so.....

    Is this just a football thing because it has so much exposure, or are we already as bad as UNC and Miami, and should stop throwing stones in our glass house?
    What's soccer? TIC but I think you get my drift.

    It really depends on the details of the situation. Purposely, unintentionally, ignorant of the specific rule, did the team win a conference championship, national championship, by a coach, by a fan or big supporter with knowledge of by the coach. Cheating is wrong but even if our football program is guilty, it's not the end of the world - I've got many things in my life much more important. Hell, dinner at home with my wife is more important. My dog greeting me when I come home gives me more pleasure than a VT championship. I enjoy the victories and hate the losses but I'm not one of the guys who wear a helmet.

  9. #189
    Hubman's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 01, 2003
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA (757!!)
    Posts
    8,990
    Quote Originally Posted by laphroaig View Post
    What's soccer? TIC but I think you get my drift.

    It really depends on the details of the situation. Purposely, unintentionally, ignorant of the specific rule, did the team win a conference championship, national championship, by a coach, by a fan or big supporter with knowledge of by the coach. Cheating is wrong but even if our football program is guilty, it's not the end of the world - I've got many things in my life much more important. Hell, dinner at home with my wife is more important. My dog greeting me when I come home gives me more pleasure than a VT championship. I enjoy the victories and hate the losses but I'm not one of the guys who wear a helmet.
    Exactly. All of what you said....

    What is soccer? Hell, what is football? That is the crazy thing about college football. It is a BILLION dollar industry that does not matter at all. Northrup Gruman and General Dynamics make up a billion dollar industry, but that matters. Wall Street and the publicly traded companies within it make up billions of dollars in industry and economic decision-makers, and all of that matters. College football is closer to professional wrestling than it is a Fortune 500 company....it doesn't really matter......and if that is the reality, then is cheating really that bad? Who is it HURTING? The fans? Haha, as you said, dinner with your wife is more important than a VT football game.....

    We get on here and talk about cheating in football as if we are stealing 401K's from hard working Americans or sexually assaulting teenagers....one person on this thread I think implied it was the same as murder. Ehhh, not so much.....

    That is why I think, at the end of the day, nobody wants VT to cheat. Nobody wants VT to win a championship because they paid players or condoned drugs, etc. HOWEVER, if it did happen, I don't think our fans will leave. I also don't think our fans would feel any worse about their lives. Why? BECAUSE THEY SHOULDN'T......they should care more about dinner with their families!

    College football has turned into quite the philosophical conundrum, eh?
    "Don't give up......Don't ever give up." -- Jimmy V

  10. #190

    Join Date
    January 05, 2001
    Posts
    22,701
    UNC was far closer to a true breakthrough than appears at present. Had they been more "parental" with the infants under their care, they'd be winning 11-12 games and challenging FSU.
    Quote Originally Posted by VB Hokie 08 View Post
    The only thing I can come up with is it doesn't appear that it makes any difference, it's not like UNC or Miami have significantly won at levels above their paygrade the past decade. Maybe recruits that are influenced by this sort of thing aren't team players and so your team doesn't end off any better? (i know its a stretch)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •