PAC 12 getting dired of Fox Sports 1

I know there is a lot of buzz out there about the ACC not being in a good position tied so tightly to ESPN. The SEC seems to be getting all the night games on ESPN and ESPN2. The ACC gets on in the afternoon, with the occasional prime time game if it's FSU-Clemson or FSU-Miami or Thursday night.

Here's an article from last week where the PAC 12 is getting really tired of their Games being shown on FS1, the new Fox Sports Channel. I thought it was interesting. ESPN might not be so bad afterall.

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/college...rts-1-dilemma/

Quote Originally Posted by HOO86 View Post
    I know there is a lot of buzz out there about the ACC not being in a good position tied so tightly to ESPN. The SEC seems to be getting all the night games on ESPN and ESPN2. The ACC gets on in the afternoon, with the occasional prime time game if it's FSU-Clemson or FSU-Miami or Thursday night.

Here's an article from last week where the PAC 12 is getting really tired of their Games being shown on FS1, the new Fox Sports Channel. I thought it was interesting. ESPN might not be so bad afterall.

The topic line should say getting tired of Fox Sports 1 rather than dired.

FS1 is only airing 1 game for the whole league at 10:00/:30 on the East Coast. so they have at least 5 other games and 10 other teams. this article makes it sound like all 6+ Pac12 games every week are being screwed by FS1. ESPN used to alway air Pac12 games in the late time slot, too, so i don't see how this is a new or FS1 problem...

#confused
    "This no more resembles that than something unlike something else resembles that." - Loosely quoting PHNC

Well, their lead-in at least once a month actually encourages people to switch channels. That doesn't help. FS1 is where the prelims for UFC PPVs are aired. And the UFC is, I believe, more popular out west. A lit of the PAC12's own geographic demo is switching to a PPV broadcast right after their lead in. Not a good look for the PAC12.

Quote Originally Posted by Shut Up Brent View Post
    Well, their lead-in at least once a month actually encourages people to switch channels. That doesn't help. FS1 is where the prelims for UFC PPVs are aired. And the UFC is, I believe, more popular out west. A lit of the PAC12's own geographic demo is switching to a PPV broadcast right after their lead in. Not a good look for the PAC12.
    meh, i don't mind fans complaining, but the league complaining after happily taking and then bragging about the money from Fox is a little unprofessional IMO. if Fox does everything they committed to in writing, stop complaining.

Could you imagine Swofford telling ESPN that we're tired of the 7:30 ESPN kickoffs, we want everything at 3:30 on ABC? that's basically what the Pac12 sounds like.
    "This no more resembles that than something unlike something else resembles that." - Loosely quoting PHNC

Quote Originally Posted by BUGGZY View Post
    meh, i don't mind fans complaining, but the league complaining after happily taking and then bragging about the money from Fox is a little unprofessional IMO. if Fox does everything they committed to in writing, stop complaining.

Could you imagine Swofford telling ESPN that we're tired of the 7:30 ESPN kickoffs, we want everything at 3:30 on ABC? that's basically what the Pac12 sounds like.
    I agree that it's unprofessional, but I think the PAC12 expected FS1 to be the PAC12 network. Instead, Fox is actually trying to build it into a full sports network. Real competition for ESPN. As such, Fox brought in the UFC, which goes after a similar but slightly different demographic from college football. Both bring in "The Demo", but college football tends to bring in the college educated, while the UFC brings in the... not. As a general rule. I like the UFC a lot myself, and put it on roughly equal footing as non-VT CFB games.

From the PAC12's perspective, a lead in like a UFC event is great, if it were just that. It would give the PAC12 greater exposure, opening the door to a part of the demo that often doesn't care about college football. You know them. The people who care much more about the NFL, who don't pay any attention to CFB young men. Well, a lot of them pay attention to the UFC.

Except the UFC broadcasts are almost designed to draw away eyeballs from the PAC12 broadcasts that follow the UFC prelim fights. Oh, they have commercials for the CFB game that night, but I can't imagine they retain a lot of those eyeballs. And that makes the PAC12 look bad.

Yes, it's the contract the PAC12 signed and they should suck it up. But the PAC12 under its current leadership hasn't struck me as particularly professional. They're brash, they're outspoken, and in this case they thought they were getting a prime position while it's really more like a second-class position. I don't know what incentives are built into the PAC12's contract, but the UFC might well hurt those numbers and the PAC12 leadership hasn't struck me as the type to take that lightly.

Yes, they're being crybabies. No, I don't expect anything different out of them.

I'm a little surprised that they're complaining about being on at 10 or 10:30 on the east coast. Do they think they would get more viewership out here with 7pm ET kickoffs? I doubt it. Then they would be competing with ESPN's weekly orgy of SEC primetime games and...whatever else it is that people do on Saturday nights other than watch college football (I wouldn't know, I can't relate to such madness).

For me, I love having those west coast games on at 10 or 10:30. I watched every minute of the Oregon State/California game this past Saturday, and that game was a debacle. Flipped over and caught some of Oregon/WSU during timeouts also. I wouldn't have seen 1 minute of either game if they had played earlier in the day.

I do respect the argument that playing night games isn't kid/family friendly. But they should be careful about walking away from the late (east coast time) kickoffs. They own 10pm - 2am every Saturday night.

I love their later games too. Definitely the only time I would watch Pac-12 football when there's an ACC or SEC matchup. (I avoid wasting my time with Big-10 or Big-12 garbage...lol)

Quote Originally Posted by Gobbler-100 View Post
    I'm a little surprised that they're complaining about being on at 10 or 10:30 on the east coast. Do they think they would get more viewership out here with 7pm ET kickoffs? I doubt it. Then they would be competing with ESPN's weekly orgy of SEC primetime games and...whatever else it is that people do on Saturday nights other than watch college football (I wouldn't know, I can't relate to such madness).

For me, I love having those west coast games on at 10 or 10:30. I watched every minute of the Oregon State/California game this past Saturday, and that game was a debacle. Flipped over and caught some of Oregon/WSU during timeouts also. I wouldn't have seen 1 minute of either game if they had played earlier in the day.

I do respect the argument that playing night games isn't kid/family friendly. But they should be careful about walking away from the late (east coast time) kickoffs. They own 10pm - 2am every Saturday night.
    "You start a conversation you can't even finish it
    You're talkin' a lot, but you're not sayin' anything
    When I have nothing to say, my lips are sealed
    Say something once, why say it again?"
    - David Byrne

Quote Originally Posted by Gobbler-100 View Post

If the PAC-12 showed some of their games at 7pm, then I believe there would be some interest in watching their game over a SEC game. A lot of times ESPN2 and ESPNU end up with a SEC game involving either Kentucky, Vandy, Ole Miss, or Miss State. Historically speaking those games are either not very competitive (i.e. Alabama's blowout of Arkansas) or not very exciting (i.e. S. Carolina's 21-7 victory over Vandy in 2010). I am not expecting that every evening game be either competitive or entertaining because that is an unreasonable request. However, it would be nice to given a variety on the 3 ESPN networks. Now that ESPN is basically showing 3 SEC games each week, it potentially runs the risk of eventually oversacturing the SEC product. It also makes it more difficult for people to determine how the conferences stack up with each other since most people have very limited exposure to conferences outside their immediate region. I have a bad feeling that there will come a day when ESPN's programming looks something like this: all Big Ten games at noon, all ACC games at 3:30/4pm, and all SEC games at 7/7:30pm.

The problem with FS1 is that they don't give CFB priority. I think they and big Fox do a good job of covering football, but they aren't pushing it enough.

Knowledge is good.

-Emil Faber
    "Knowledge is good"

--Emil Faber, 1904