Thread: #2 in total D

#2 in total D

Mizzou put up 500 yards while UF only got 151... Ouch. Guess we're moving on up...

Banned
    We've played some good offenses this year and sometime or another the teams above and around would have to too

Quote Originally Posted by hokiehunter07 View Post
    Mizzou put up 500 yards while UF only got 151... Ouch. Guess we're moving on up...
    No doubt we are but Floridas D was good. They've had injuries on the d line

Banned
    I looked up the quality of offenses Michigan St has had to face this year.

Western Michigan - 116th out of 123 teams
    South Florida - 121st
    Youngstown St - FCS
    Notre Dame - 80th
    Iowa - 64th
    Indiana - 16th
    Purdue - 119th

Looks like the only decent ones are Indiana and Iowa. And how good are those considering the Big 10 looks like garbage this year

Quote Originally Posted by VTallday View Post
    I looked up the quality of offenses Michigan St has had to face this year.

Western Michigan - 116th out of 123 teams
    South Florida - 121st
    Youngstown St - FCS
    Notre Dame - 80th
    Iowa - 64th
    Indiana - 16th
    Purdue - 119th

Looks like the only decent ones are Indiana and Iowa. And how good are those considering the Big 10 looks like garbage this year
    Michigan St's schedule has been a joke, but will get tougher. Michigan, @Neb and @Northwestern will really test them.

The thing that irks me is the pts/game with Tech at 15. If you take special teams gaffes out of it, Tech is down to 11.6 (3 TD's for 'Bama and FG from WCU). I know that's not possible to do so they're stuck back at 15/game, but that 11.6 puts the Tech defense 2nd in the nation.

Still #1 in sacks, #2 in INTs. FWIW, Florida only has 11 sacks (81st) and 9 INTs (23rd). I mention them because they were considered as the best by some pundits.

Quote Originally Posted by hoosnowahokie View Post
    Michigan St's schedule has been a joke, but will get tougher. Michigan, @Neb and @Northwestern will really test them.

The thing that irks me is the pts/game with Tech at 15. If you take special teams gaffes out of it, Tech is down to 11.6 (3 TD's for 'Bama and FG from WCU). I know that's not possible to do so they're stuck back at 15/game, but that 11.6 puts the Tech defense 2nd in the nation.

Still #1 in sacks, #2 in INTs. FWIW, Florida only has 11 sacks (81st) and 9 INTs (23rd). I mention them because they were considered as the best by some pundits.
    Ints is a big stat. A D that is slightly worse in total defense, but forces more turnovers will do more to win the game.

Quote Originally Posted by hoosnowahokie View Post

I think the sacks # is the most important for our defense, particularly for the defensive line. When we are able to generate pressure with the D-line, our defense is awesome.

It's not coincidence that our best defenses had Cornell Brown, Corey Moore/John Engelberger, Darryl Tapp, Chris Ellis, and now Gayle/Collins/Nicholas.

Quote Originally Posted by stevetheking View Post
    I think the sacks # is the most important for our defense, particularly for the defensive line. When we are able to generate pressure with the D-line, our defense is awesome.

It's not coincidence that our best defenses had Cornell Brown, Corey Moore/John Engelberger, Darryl Tapp, Chris Ellis, and now Gayle/Collins/Nicholas.
    I would rate Hopkins/Maddy equally important in getting pressure on the QB, pressure up the middle is killer. It also means that you can't focus on one DL player to neutralize him, you have to respect them all. Which gives all of them a shot of getting there on any given play.

Add in good coverage and you get coverage sacks + pressure interceptions. :-)

Cheers,

Bobby

Quote Originally Posted by jSizzle74 View Post
    No doubt we are but Floridas D was good. They've had injuries on the d line
    It's a good thing we haven't had any injuries this year......