Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I'm all for an ACC-B12 merger of some sort. I think the ACC should invite the whole conference with the agreement that Texas and Oklahoma are two of the comers. It the Pac12 wants to take a Texas Tech, then fine. If the B1G wants to take an Iowa State, then fine. If the SEC wants to take an Okie State, then fine. As long as we get Texas and OU, that would put us on par with the SEC, Pac12, and B1G. Otherwise, both the Big 12 and the ACC will be second tier conferences IMHO.

Sure Clemson and FSU are having a good year, but from top to bottom, the ACC still sucks hard.

Quote Originally Posted by BUGGZY View Post
    ACC should just reach out for an all-in merger of the 2 leagues. 24 teams+ND. 4 6 team divisions for football and 5x5 scheduling pods for other sports with a single table for standings. every sport i can think of has a post season tournament to determine the league champ at this point, so i'm not too concerned with unbalanced schedules as long as rivalries are preserved.

this gets everyone around the Big12 GoR since the Big12 would no longer be an entity. LHN becomes ACCN. ND still doesn't join for football, but agrees to 6th game where they play every team from each division on an rotating basis. Maybe this evolves into that division being a 7 team division and ND is eligible for the ACC playoff? who knows.

sounds as good as some of the other ideas/rumors i've seen, so why not....

Quote Originally Posted by Maroon Baboon View Post
    I'm all for an ACC-B12 merger of some sort. I think the ACC should invite the whole conference with the agreement that Texas and Oklahoma are two of the comers. It the Pac12 wants to take a Texas Tech, then fine. If the B1G wants to take an Iowa State, then fine. If the SEC wants to take an Okie State, then fine. As long as we get Texas and OU, that would put us on par with the SEC, Pac12, and B1G. Otherwise, both the Big 12 and the ACC will be second tier conferences IMHO.

Sure Clemson and FSU are having a good year, but from top to bottom, the ACC still sucks hard.
    actually, i think top to bottom, the ACC is technically one of, if not THE best league. we just have trouble keeping up at the top. i think our #14 is better than anyone else's bottom feeder. at least as of last week.
    "This no more resembles that than something unlike something else resembles that." - Loosely quoting PHNC

Quote Originally Posted by HOO86 View Post
    According to the Dude over the past month the Big XII brought back its expansion committee to look at additional schools because there is a belief that the new Division 4 and the Playoffs are going to really emphasize Conference Champions from a Championship Game. The Big XII is at 10, and can't play a Conference Championship Game unless they add 2 members.

According to the Dude, the Big XII expansion committee has determined that adding 2 members will cost the current members about $4 million per year each in television revenue. ESPN and Fox have apparently told them that there will be no more money for more members. He's basically saying that they have looked and Cincinnati, USF, UCF, UConn, and Fresno State are duds in the way the Big XII Television is set up. Expanding into new markets might help a conference like the SEC or Big Ten that has a cable network and is looking for subscribers, but if the Big XII adds teams they don't need subscribers, they need ratings which are different entirely. The schools out there and available won't drive ratings.

So the Big XII will not expand at this time, and the Dude concedes that this will put the Big XII in position in 2025 to lose more members. At least he is now discussing the league that WVU is actually in rather than the ACC or Big Ten. Here's his article. I know it's the Dude, who is usually incorrect, but it's about what he thinks that the Big XII is doing.

http://www.sportsmancave.com/big-xii...cides-to-wait/
    Since the Dude is wrong almost all the time, then I predict Cincinnati, USF, UConn, UCF, and Fresno State join the Big 12.

In all seriousness, I think the Big 12 breaks up before 2025. Texas will somehow break up the Big 12. I also think that their TV markets will ultimately doom them. The Big 12 only exists because it has 4 members from the large populated sate of Texas and a football program rich in tradition in Oklahoma. Beyond that, there's no reason for the cable sports networks to keep the Big 12 around. Maybe USF and/or UCF can bring in the state of Florida for TV sets (subscribers), but neither drive ratings or major fan support.

Quote Originally Posted by Maroon Baboon View Post
    The ACC has four teams in the top 10 this week (Louisville counts), plus us in the top 20. These things are cyclical, but we have bought ourselves at least a couple of years of respect, starting from last years bowls.

Quote Originally Posted by Truthahn View Post
    The ACC has four teams in the top 10 this week (Louisville counts), plus us in the top 20. These things are cyclical, but we have bought ourselves at least a couple of years of respect, starting from last years bowls.
    I'm not sure we've bought ourselves a couple years of respect until we at least put a team in the national title game. A few more years if the ACC can win it

'07 national champions typed by ben's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HOO86 View Post
    You might have been right. I think the ACC and Swofford out maneuvered both the Big XII and the Big Ten in this last go around even with the exit of Maryland. He had to add Louisville to do it, which is not a typical ACC fit academically. Time will tell on the Maryland impact. The Big Ten thinks they got a windfall there. I'm not so sure. What they did get is a more satisfied Penn State, which is important to the Big Ten. I don't think that the ACC and SEC were ever going after any of the same schools in the process. The SEC is beating the ACC so far with ESPN regarding a cable network.
    think its possible the ACC took louisville just for the fact that it took another team off the big 12s radar, sort of like scuttling a ship or aircraft to keep it out of enemy hands?
    __________________________________________________ ____________________________________
    Quote Originally Posted by 133697Hokie View Post
    My father went to VT. My uncle went to VT. My brother-in-law went to VT. I went to VT. My son went to VT. I saw my first VT game in 1962. Can you top that? First time in my life anybody's ever called me a Hoo.

Quote Originally Posted by typed by ben View Post
    think its possible the ACC took louisville just for the fact that it took another team off the big 12s radar, sort of like scuttling a ship or aircraft to keep it out of enemy hands?
    Interesting thought. Possibly. According to Gene DeFilippo of Boston College, it was one of the reasons that the ACC took Pittsburgh. Could that have applied to Louisville, anything is possible. The Big XII did get West Virginia out of this region anyway, but so far the only one.

Quote Originally Posted by typed by ben View Post
    Absolutely. But as a secondary purpose behind improving the quality of ACC football. IMO Louisville would've been a perfect #16 with ND as an all-sports member, and this locks them up. Unfortunately we lose out on MD, and while they are not that big a loss they are better than UConn or Cincinatti.

'07 national champions typed by ben's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ShockWaveVT View Post
    Absolutely. But as a secondary purpose behind improving the quality of ACC football. IMO Louisville would've been a perfect #16 with ND as an all-sports member, and this locks them up. Unfortunately we lose out on MD, and while they are not that big a loss they are better than UConn or Cincinatti.
    eh they come and go. when charlie strong gets hired away they will go again for a while.

but in terms of football at least theyre not like maryland, who has just plain GONE after friedgen. cincy... pretty much the same, year in and year out
    __________________________________________________ ____________________________________
    Quote Originally Posted by 133697Hokie View Post
    My father went to VT. My uncle went to VT. My brother-in-law went to VT. I went to VT. My son went to VT. I saw my first VT game in 1962. Can you top that? First time in my life anybody's ever called me a Hoo.

The fan base and overall quality of their athletic programs will keep Louisville relevant even if Charlie leaves.

If UCF pulls a Louisville and ends up in a BCS game and ranked, I wonder if the Big XII will take a chance on adding at least them? There was some (non-)buyers remorse over not picking up Louisville as an 11th program when they had a chance. A top-25 UCF might be good enough to make them try that. UCF is in Florida, in a big city without an NFL team, and is a very large university. Adding one team might be an easier sell than adding two.