Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

The Dude is now Conceding that the Big XII is out of options. Sort of.

According to the Dude over the past month the Big XII brought back its expansion committee to look at additional schools because there is a belief that the new Division 4 and the Playoffs are going to really emphasize Conference Champions from a Championship Game. The Big XII is at 10, and can't play a Conference Championship Game unless they add 2 members.

According to the Dude, the Big XII expansion committee has determined that adding 2 members will cost the current members about $4 million per year each in television revenue. ESPN and Fox have apparently told them that there will be no more money for more members. He's basically saying that they have looked and Cincinnati, USF, UCF, UConn, and Fresno State are duds in the way the Big XII Television is set up. Expanding into new markets might help a conference like the SEC or Big Ten that has a cable network and is looking for subscribers, but if the Big XII adds teams they don't need subscribers, they need ratings which are different entirely. The schools out there and available won't drive ratings.

So the Big XII will not expand at this time, and the Dude concedes that this will put the Big XII in position in 2025 to lose more members. At least he is now discussing the league that WVU is actually in rather than the ACC or Big Ten. Here's his article. I know it's the Dude, who is usually incorrect, but it's about what he thinks that the Big XII is doing.

http://www.sportsmancave.com/big-xii...cides-to-wait/
    Last edited by HOO86; Tue Oct 15 2013 at 03:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HOO86 View Post
    According to the Dude over the past month the Big XII brought back its expansion committee to look at additional schools because there is a belief that the new Division 4 and the Playoffs are going to really emphasize Conference Champions from a Championship Game. The Big XII is at 10, and can't play a Conference Championship Game unless they add 2 members.

According to the Dude, the Big XII expansion committee has determined that adding 2 members will cost the current members about $4 million per year each in television revenue. ESPN and Fox have apparently told them that there will be no more money for more members. He's basically saying that they have looked and Cincinnati, USF, UCF, UConn, and Fresno State are duds in the way the Big XII Television is set up. Expanding into new markets might help a conference like the SEC or Big XII that has a cable network and is looking for subscribers, but if the Big XII adds teams they don't need subscribers, they need ratings which are different entirely. The schools out there and available won't drive ratings.

So the Big XII will not expand at this time, and the Dude concedes that this will put the Big XII in position in 2025 to lose more members. At least he is now discussing the league that WVU is actually in rather than the ACC or Big Ten. Here's his article. I know it's the Dude, who is usually incorrect, but it's about what he thinks that the Big XII is doing.

If he's usually incorrect, why don't we start referring to him as "The Dud"?

According to the Dude, the Big XII expansion committee has determined that adding 2 members will cost the current members about $4 million per year each in television revenue. ESPN and Fox have apparently told them that there will be no more money for more members. He's basically saying that they have looked and Cincinnati, USF, UCF, UConn, and Fresno State are duds in the way the Big XII Television is set up. Expanding into new markets might help a conference like the SEC or Big XII that has a cable network and is looking for subscribers, but if the Big XII adds teams they don't need subscribers, they need ratings which are different entirely. The schools out there and available won't drive ratings.

Wait, he's making rational statements? He's been haxored. That's my only explanation.

Expanding into new markets might help a conference like the SEC or Big XII that has a cable network and is looking for subscribers, but if the Big XII adds teams they don't need subscribers, they need ratings which are different entirely.
    I'm guessing you meant "...help a conference like the SEC or B1G that has a cable network..." correct?

P.S. Thanks for posting that here so I don't have to give his site any clicks

Quote Originally Posted by HokieDevil View Post
    I'm guessing you meant "...help a conference like the SEC or B1G that has a cable network..." correct?

P.S. Thanks for posting that here so I don't have to give his site any clicks
    Oops. You are correct. I'll edit it.

Oops. You are correct. I'll edit it.
    ACC should just reach out for an all-in merger of the 2 leagues. 24 teams+ND. 4 6 team divisions for football and 5x5 scheduling pods for other sports with a single table for standings. every sport i can think of has a post season tournament to determine the league champ at this point, so i'm not too concerned with unbalanced schedules as long as rivalries are preserved.

this gets everyone around the Big12 GoR since the Big12 would no longer be an entity. LHN becomes ACCN. ND still doesn't join for football, but agrees to 6th game where they play every team from each division on an rotating basis. Maybe this evolves into that division being a 7 team division and ND is eligible for the ACC playoff? who knows.

sounds as good as some of the other ideas/rumors i've seen, so why not....
    "This no more resembles that than something unlike something else resembles that." - Loosely quoting PHNC

Quote Originally Posted by BUGGZY View Post
    ACC should just reach out for an all-in merger of the 2 leagues. 24 teams+ND. 4 6 team divisions for football and 5x5 scheduling pods for other sports with a single table for standings. every sport i can think of has a post season tournament to determine the league champ at this point, so i'm not too concerned with unbalanced schedules as long as rivalries are preserved.

this gets everyone around the Big12 GoR since the Big12 would no longer be an entity. LHN becomes ACCN. ND still doesn't join for football, but agrees to 6th game where they play every team from each division on an rotating basis. Maybe this evolves into that division being a 7 team division and ND is eligible for the ACC playoff? who knows.

sounds as good as some of the other ideas/rumors i've seen, so why not....
    I'd wait for the inevitable collapse - it won't take until 2025 .. the big boy will start looking at options by 2020 .. and then cherry pick the best. Why deal with the dregs when you can just wait them out.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: The Big12 blew it by not taking Louisville and Cincy as soon as Maryland announced their departure from the ACC. Had they done so, the ACC would have been in a bind. They would have had no alternative but to take UConn, which would have greatly upset FSU and Clemson. The Big12 would have been in a prime position to raid the ACC. In their best case scenario, they could have taken six ACC teams. So you would have two nine-team divisions: the current Big12 minus WVU in one division, and WVU, LVille, Cincy, and six ACC teams in the other. The six would likely have been Clemson, FSU, Miami, GT (definitely those four), and two of VT, Pitt, NC State, and Wake.

Quote Originally Posted by I85Hokie View Post
    I've said it before and I'll say it again: The Big12 blew it by not taking Louisville and Cincy as soon as Maryland announced their departure from the ACC. Had they done so, the ACC would have been in a bind. They would have had no alternative but to take UConn, which would have greatly upset FSU and Clemson. The Big12 would have been in a prime position to raid the ACC. In their best case scenario, they could have taken six ACC teams. So you would have two nine-team divisions: the current Big12 minus WVU in one division, and WVU, LVille, Cincy, and six ACC teams in the other. The six would likely have been Clemson, FSU, Miami, GT (definitely those four), and two of VT, Pitt, NC State, and Wake.
    You might have been right. I think the ACC and Swofford out maneuvered both the Big XII and the Big Ten in this last go around even with the exit of Maryland. He had to add Louisville to do it, which is not a typical ACC fit academically. Time will tell on the Maryland impact. The Big Ten thinks they got a windfall there. I'm not so sure. What they did get is a more satisfied Penn State, which is important to the Big Ten. I don't think that the ACC and SEC were ever going after any of the same schools in the process. The SEC is beating the ACC so far with ESPN regarding a cable network.

The Notre Dame football games that have been added alone were a coup. I think that the ACC needs to keep working on the network and the ACC will be fine. When the time comes for Notre Dame to join there will be some good candidates applying for that spot 16. If the magic number is 20, then there are possibilities down the road with the Big XII.

more like 2015, imo. this graffiti has been in large, bold print for some time. it is pretty clear that whomever feeds the dud his info is quite vested in the GOR...perhaps someone in the league office...and not a fan of Texas. if enough teams leave the conference, the GOR will be moot.

[QUOTE=HOO86;870765]

So the Big XII will not expand at this time, and the Dude concedes that this will put the Big XII in position in 2025 to lose more members.