Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    1) I can in some way see the B10 inviting Navy to get ND. However, the B10 will not add Navy without an unbreakable agreement from ND that they would join the B10 if Navy is invited also.

2) If the absence of Navy is the lone reason for ND not joining the ACC for all sports, then all ND would need to do is tell Swofford if Navy is added to the ACC, they, ND, would join for all sports immediately. If ND said that, Navy would be in the ACC so fast, it would leave a vacuum.

Quote Originally Posted by CobbCountyHokie View Post
    I am seeing a lot of chatter about the Big 10 making a move toward Navy. This is actually pretty interesting since Stech brought them up as an expansion candidate for the ACC and I was skeptical about their TV draw.

There is one very interesting component that may need some confirmation. I have seen discussion that states that Notre Dame could opt out of the ACC GOR without any penalty before the college football playoff begins. In other words, they have a very short window to get out if this is indeed true. The Navy move, if the rumor has any validity, could be viewed as a backdoor play to bring Notre Dame to the Big 10.

Here is another one to chew on...for me if there is no Notre Dame, there is likely no ACC Network and that will cost the league a bunch of cash.

WADR you assume that Navy would want to come into the ACC or any other conference for that matter. I don't think they do and would turn down an ACC offer if made. That goes for the B1G as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Atlee Hokie View Post
    1) I can in some way see the B10 inviting Navy to get ND. However, the B10 will not add Navy without an unbreakable agreement from ND that they would join the B10 if Navy is invited also.

2) If the absence of Navy is the lone reason for ND not joining the ACC for all sports, then all ND would need to do is tell Swofford if Navy is added to the ACC, they, ND, would join for all sports immediately. If ND said that, Navy would be in the ACC so fast, it would leave a vacuum.

Quote Originally Posted by GreatSmokieHokie View Post
    WADR you assume that Navy would want to come into the ACC or any other conference for that matter. I don't think they do and would turn down an ACC offer if made. That goes for the B1G as well.
    Agreed. All those that think that Navy would be a good addition to any of the Big Five need to read this article about an interview with an ex-Navy hoops coach:
    No Chance In Hell
    No trees were harmed in the making of this post. However, billions of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Quote Originally Posted by Stech View Post
    Domer I have decided we agree far more than we disagree. First, if ND goes to a conference it will be the ACC. Second. the rumblings about the B1G 10 and Navy are not surprising to me...you know who that arrow is aimed at right now. Third, ND will not join a conference unless it is the only way they can get to the Football National Championship because their big donors would go nuts.
    Yes, all this nonsense of us going to the Big 10 should stop. I thought we made pretty much clear where our home is if all heck breaks loose. Now where we disagree is that I haven't seen anything change monumentally that will make us join in full. Now that could happen(Not likely IMO) but we will have to see what happens with D-4. Now I will say that ND doesn't have very many allies on the selection committee. Ty Willingham is no ally, Condi even though she is an Alum of ND was pissed that we fired Ty and is more of a Stanford fan, Alavrez(Former Coordinator) is a Big 10 rep so that won't help us much, Pat Haden(USC AD and former Announcer of our games ) maybe the only "ally" we have on the committee. Which is sad that a USC Alum is our biggest ally on the committee.

Quote Originally Posted by BUGGZY View Post
    i haven't read anything other than this post, so my response it assuming everything you write has validity.

would it really surprise anyone if Delaney outmaneuvered Swofford? i don't think Swofford deserves all of the grief he gets from many on this board and otherwise, but he's not Delaney.

If this is indeed true, the ACC's days are numbered. i'm not sure it's true, and it honestly sounds like a long shot, but if the B1G lands Navy, and in turn lures ND out, i think we'll be like rats on a sinking ship.

here's to hoping Swofford lures Navy before Delaney can and we end up with a full ND membership and see years of ACC success in the future.
    There may be "rumors" out there, but I think the Navy to BIG thing is as big a crock as Buffalo to BIG.

1. Why does everyone think that ND would do what Navy did or even what Navy wants them to do? ND could have gotten them into the BE anytime by joining it themselves and making it a condidtion. I'll bet that ND could get them in the ACC tomorrow if they agreed to join as full members. ND doesn't love the BIG, this all sounds like bunk.

2. ND feels they owe a debt to Navy because of their history, but if Navy joins the BIG, they will be fine and don't need protecting. Plus the can still play each other every year just like now, only it will be a better game for ND because Navy will have a good SOS.

3. As others have pointed out, Navy adds nothing to the equation for the BIG, they would just suck away some of the money and lower the conference RPI in BB.

4. I fail to see this as any sort of a threat to the ACC.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Touchdown View Post
    There may be "rumors" out there, but I think the Navy to BIG thing is as big a crock as Buffalo to BIG.

1. Why does everyone think that ND would do what Navy did or even what Navy wants them to do? ND could have gotten them into the BE anytime by joining it themselves and making it a condidtion. I'll bet that ND could get them in the ACC tomorrow if they agreed to join as full members. ND doesn't love the BIG, this all sounds like bunk.

2. ND feels they owe a debt to Navy because of their history, but if Navy joins the BIG, they will be fine and don't need protecting. Plus the can still play each other every year just like now, only it will be a better game for ND because Navy will have a good SOS.

3. As others have pointed out, Navy adds nothing to the equation for the BIG, they would just suck away some of the money and lower the conference RPI in BB.

4. I fail to see this as any sort of a threat to the ACC.
    I am only going to respond to 2 of your points.

2. Notre Dame has already gone on record to state that they will always play Navy, Stanford, and USC. If Navy joins the Big Ten, then 2 of their OOC games would always be Air Force and Army (Commander-in-Chief Trophy). Would Navy be happy with always playing the same 3 OOC opponents since the Big Ten is going to a 9 game conference schedule? If Notre Dame ever joins a conference, then they would be faced with the same issue if the conference they are joining played a 9 game conference schedule.

4. The "threat" could be that by the Big Ten having Maryland and Navy, then the ACC would not have a member in the state of Maryland. No Maryland team could hurt the ACC's chance of having a piece of the Baltimore and DC markets. Even though UVA and VT may have a large alumni base in NOVA, UMD appears to still dominate the DC market in terms of coverage. I am not sure how much the ACC cares about those 2 markets, so it may be a non-issue.

Quote Originally Posted by VTHokie2000 View Post
    I am only going to respond to 2 of your points.

2. Notre Dame has already gone on record to state that they will always play Navy, Stanford, and USC. If Navy joins the Big Ten, then 2 of their OOC games would always be Air Force and Army (Commander-in-Chief Trophy). Would Navy be happy with always playing the same 3 OOC opponents since the Big Ten is going to a 9 game conference schedule? If Notre Dame ever joins a conference, then they would be faced with the same issue if the conference they are joining played a 9 game conference schedule.

4. The "threat" could be that by the Big Ten having Maryland and Navy, then the ACC would not have a member in the state of Maryland. No Maryland team could hurt the ACC's chance of having a piece of the Baltimore and DC markets. Even though UVA and VT may have a large alumni base in NOVA, UMD appears to still dominate the DC market in terms of coverage. I am not sure how much the ACC cares about those 2 markets, so it may be a non-issue.
    I'm not sure Navy wants to be anywhere near the Maryland Terrapins. The Crab Bowl, which was the annual game between the two, has been cancelled a couple of times because of bad behavior by Maryland. It was cancelled for 40 years from 1964 to 2005. That was over one of the Maryland players flipping the bird at the Navy fans. Roger Staubach joked that the Maryland player was just signaling that Maryland was #1 but was too stupid to use the correct finger.

And Maryland has snubbed Navy twice in the past 10 years by refusing to play them in a bowl (Charlotte and Washington, DC). That was done by Debbie Yow. They tried to get the Crab Bowl going again in 2010, but after the bowl snubs Navy refuses to play Maryland anymore in football. I guess they could always kiss and make up, but right now they don't like each other.

Maryland has a habit of creating animosity with local schools. Georgetown refuses to play Maryland in basketball.

I don't think Navy wants to join the ACC or B10 for that matter. I was just saying if not having Navy is what's keeping ND out, then Swofford would fix that in a heart beat. Stated another way, if ND told Swofford they would join for all sports, if they ND could name the 16th school, Swofford would say yes before ND stopped talking.

I'm fully aware Navy AD has previously said Navy wants no part of the ACC full time, nor would it want B10 full time.

Quote Originally Posted by GreatSmokieHokie View Post

Quote Originally Posted by goldendomer View Post
    Yes, all this nonsense of us going to the Big 10 should stop. I thought we made pretty much clear where our home is if all heck breaks loose. Now where we disagree is that I haven't seen anything change monumentally that will make us join in full. Now that could happen(Not likely IMO) but we will have to see what happens with D-4. Now I will say that ND doesn't have very many allies on the selection committee. Ty Willingham is no ally, Condi even though she is an Alum of ND was pissed that we fired Ty and is more of a Stanford fan, Alavrez(Former Coordinator) is a Big 10 rep so that won't help us much, Pat Haden(USC AD and former Announcer of our games ) maybe the only "ally" we have on the committee. Which is sad that a USC Alum is our biggest ally on the committee.
    I actually agree that not near enough has happened to cause them to go to a conference and we still have a ways to go. However, the incremental change to set up the conferences as mega conferences and do a playoff from those conferences to crown a national champion may not look like much to you, but compare it to 15 years ago.

ACC did had not have Miami, VT, BC, Pitt, Syracuse and ND for 5 football games
    B1G did not have Nebraska, Rutgers or Maryland
    SEC did not have Texas A&M and Missouri
    PAC did not have Utah and Colorado
    We did not have a playoff where conference champion would be a significant component

Each alone move may not sound like much, but together that is a pretty big trend.
    Last edited by Stech; Tue Oct 15 2013 at 08:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stech View Post
    I actually agree that not near enough has happened to cause them to go to a conference and we still have a ways to go. However, the incremental change to set up the conferences as mega conferences and do a playoff from those conferences to crown a national champion may not look like much to you, but compare it to 15 years ago.

ACC did had not have Miami, VT, BC, Pitt, Syracuse and ND for 5 football games
    B1G did not have Nebraska, Rutgers or Maryland
    SEC did not have Texas A&M and Missouri
    PAC did not have Utah and Colorado
    We did not have a playoff where conference champion would be a significant component

Each alone move may not sound like much, but together that is a pretty big trend.
    Knowing Notre Dame, they'll probably get a deal where they can qualify for the 4 team playoff with a top 10 finish or undefeated regular season. That will be easier than playing in a conference. Somehow, Notre Dame will pull it off. They always do.