Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by CobbCountyHokie View Post
    I am seeing a lot of chatter about the Big 10 making a move toward Navy. This is actually pretty interesting since Stech brought them up as an expansion candidate for the ACC and I was skeptical about their TV draw.

There is one very interesting component that may need some confirmation. I have seen discussion that states that Notre Dame could opt out of the ACC GOR without any penalty before the college football playoff begins. In other words, they have a very short window to get out if this is indeed true. The Navy move, if the rumor has any validity, could be viewed as a backdoor play to bring Notre Dame to the Big 10.

Here is another one to chew on...for me if there is no Notre Dame, there is likely no ACC Network and that will cost the league a bunch of cash.
    There haven't been any changes in market conditions since Notre Dame decided to join the ACC 1 year ago to suggest that Notre Dame isn't happy in the ACC or that Notre Dame would be interested in the Big Ten Conference. In football, the ACC is the higher rated conference between the two. ESPN has the ACC third and the Big Ten fifth. In fact many pundits are questioning whether an undefeated Ohio State would even qualify for the BCS title game because their strength of schedule would be so low. They do not play a team in the top 15 all season.

If Notre Dame wanted Navy in a conference with Notre Dame, they could arrange that with the ACC by joining and requesting it. If you read any of the articles out of Notre Dame about their play in the ACC for things like Women's Soccer or Men's Soccer, they all start by calling the ACC the country's best soccer conference. I just see no signs whatsoever about Notre Dame being unhappy. I also don't know if Navy would be who Notre Dame would prefer as number 16 if they joined.

Most of what I'm reading about the Big Ten adding anyone else is that they don't want anyone else until at earliest 2017.

Quote Originally Posted by BUGGZY View Post
    ATAC (Atlantic & Texas Athletic Conference)
    This is already taken. Name the movie (without googling is looking at the filename).

No trees were harmed in the making of this post. However, billions of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Quote Originally Posted by Freddyburg Hokie View Post
    This is already taken. Name the movie (without googling is looking at the filename).

I know its a bond movie, but I don't remember which.

Quote Originally Posted by Freddyburg Hokie View Post

For Your Eyes Only, isn't it?
    *.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*. *.*.*.*.*.*

I just wish we would STOP with the zone blocking read option crap and line up in the I, put a hat on a hat and run the tailback behind the fullback through a designated gosh-danged hole. There is NO REASON why this program shouldn't be able to find 5 fat guys who can move some people out of the way and clear a lane for a back to get through!

Quote Originally Posted by 133304Hokie View Post
    There is really no advantage at all to having Navy EXCEPT for getting Notre Dame to join. The only reason the B10 would ever consider Navy is if Notre Dame agreed to come too. I can't imagine the B1G would ever take Navy for a number of reasons UNLESS they came as a package deal with Notre Dame. And honestly, even if it would get them Notre Dame, they probably wouldn't take Navy either because:

1. Navy isn't AAU material, now or ever in the future given their academic mission as a service academy.
    2. Navy isn't CIC material, they have no research.
    3. Navy football isn't really very competitive. They would be a basement dweller in the B1G.
    4. Navy's other sports teams (basketball, etc.) are not competitive at all.
    5. Navy is already within the current B1G footprint, and there is a strong desire to push into new states with expansion to benefit the B1G Network.

Notre Dame chose the ACC over the B1G for their own reasons, and none of those reasons have really changed since they made their decision. If Notre Dame really wanted to be a full member in the ACC with Navy, they could make that happen tomorrow by picking up the phone and calling Swofford. This rumor seems pretty obviously false to me.
    Agreed. ND made a studied, deliberate long term decision with the ACC deal.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk now Free
    I don't think I'm easy to talk about. I've got a very irregular head. And I'm not anything that you think I am anyway.
    (Syd Barrett)

I am seeing a lot of chatter about the Big 10 making a move toward Navy. This is actually pretty interesting since Stech brought them up as an expansion candidate for the ACC and I was skeptical about their TV draw.

There is one very interesting component that may need some confirmation. I have seen discussion that states that Notre Dame could opt out of the ACC GOR without any penalty before the college football playoff begins. In other words, they have a very short window to get out if this is indeed true. The Navy move, if the rumor has any validity, could be viewed as a backdoor play to bring Notre Dame to the Big 10.

Here is another one to chew on...for me if there is no Notre Dame, there is likely no ACC Network and that will cost the league a bunch of cash.
    Smoke screen... to throw off the scent of Texas. USNA wouldn't do this to their cadets. USNA probably feels remorse about the AAC move as it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Hokie CPA View Post
    For Your Eyes Only, isn't it?
    yup.
    No trees were harmed in the making of this post. However, billions of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Quote Originally Posted by goldendomer View Post
    We will not join the big ten. I think all of of our moves the last few years proves this. If we ever join a conference in full it will be one with schools much like ourselves. And the only conference that delivers that is the ACC.
    Domer I have decided we agree far more than we disagree. First, if ND goes to a conference it will be the ACC. Second. the rumblings about the B1G 10 and Navy are not surprising to me...you know who that arrow is aimed at right now. Third, ND will not join a conference unless it is the only way they can get to the Football National Championship because their big donors would go nuts.

Atlantic Coast Conference sponsored by the Longhorn Network (ACCLHN) per Joe Schad

*tic

Quote Originally Posted by VaAkita View Post
    If Texas joined the ACC what would they call the conference?

The Atlantic Gulf Coast conference?

WRT Cable/Satellite, Army, not Navy, gets them into a new (and coveted) state. Who knows, maybe they take both.

I think it is a false rumor fwiw. Doesn't add up for all parties.