Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

There seems to be some Big 10 rumblings tonight...and it is not coming from The Dude

I am seeing a lot of chatter about the Big 10 making a move toward Navy. This is actually pretty interesting since Stech brought them up as an expansion candidate for the ACC and I was skeptical about their TV draw.

There is one very interesting component that may need some confirmation. I have seen discussion that states that Notre Dame could opt out of the ACC GOR without any penalty before the college football playoff begins. In other words, they have a very short window to get out if this is indeed true. The Navy move, if the rumor has any validity, could be viewed as a backdoor play to bring Notre Dame to the Big 10.

Here is another one to chew on...for me if there is no Notre Dame, there is likely no ACC Network and that will cost the league a bunch of cash.

Quote Originally Posted by CobbCountyHokie View Post
    I am seeing a lot of chatter about the Big 10 making a move toward Navy. This is actually pretty interesting since Stech brought them up as an expansion candidate for the ACC and I was skeptical about their TV draw.

There is one very interesting component that may need some confirmation. I have seen discussion that states that Notre Dame could opt out of the ACC GOR without any penalty before the college football playoff begins. In other words, they have a very short window to get out if this is indeed true. The Navy move, if the rumor has any validity, could be viewed as a backdoor play to bring Notre Dame to the Big 10.

Here is another one to chew on...for me if there is no Notre Dame, there is likely no ACC Network and that will cost the league a bunch of cash.
    i haven't read anything other than this post, so my response it assuming everything you write has validity.

would it really surprise anyone if Delaney outmaneuvered Swofford? i don't think Swofford deserves all of the grief he gets from many on this board and otherwise, but he's not Delaney.

If this is indeed true, the ACC's days are numbered. i'm not sure it's true, and it honestly sounds like a long shot, but if the B1G lands Navy, and in turn lures ND out, i think we'll be like rats on a sinking ship.

here's to hoping Swofford lures Navy before Delaney can and we end up with a full ND membership and see years of ACC success in the future.
    "This no more resembles that than something unlike something else resembles that." - Loosely quoting PHNC

There is really no advantage at all to having Navy EXCEPT for getting Notre Dame to join. The only reason the B10 would ever consider Navy is if Notre Dame agreed to come too. I can't imagine the B1G would ever take Navy for a number of reasons UNLESS they came as a package deal with Notre Dame. And honestly, even if it would get them Notre Dame, they probably wouldn't take Navy either because:

1. Navy isn't AAU material, now or ever in the future given their academic mission as a service academy.
    2. Navy isn't CIC material, they have no research.
    3. Navy football isn't really very competitive. They would be a basement dweller in the B1G.
    4. Navy's other sports teams (basketball, etc.) are not competitive at all.
    5. Navy is already within the current B1G footprint, and there is a strong desire to push into new states with expansion to benefit the B1G Network.

Notre Dame chose the ACC over the B1G for their own reasons, and none of those reasons have really changed since they made their decision. If Notre Dame really wanted to be a full member in the ACC with Navy, they could make that happen tomorrow by picking up the phone and calling Swofford. This rumor seems pretty obviously false to me.

Last edited by 133304Hokie; Fri Oct 11 2013 at 09:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 133304Hokie View Post
    There is really no advantage at all to having Navy EXCEPT for getting Notre Dame to join. The only reason the B10 would ever consider Navy is if Notre Dame agreed to come too. I can't imagine the B1G would ever take Navy for a number of reasons UNLESS they came as a package deal with Notre Dame.
    1. Navy isn't AAU material, now or ever in the future given their purpose. - Fair Point
    2. Navy isn't CIC material, they have no research. - Fair Point
    3. Navy football isn't really very competitive. They would be a basement dweller in the B1G. - Fair Point
    4. Navy's other sports teams (basketball, etc.) are not competitive at all. - New B1G LAX could use them
    5. Navy is already within the current B1G footprint, and there is a strong desire to push into new states with expansion to benefit the B1G Network. - Navy doesn't have a footprint. BTN could be like AFN. every city with a major Naval base may become their "footprint"

i agree it's a reach, but as mythbusters would say, it's plausible.
    "This no more resembles that than something unlike something else resembles that." - Loosely quoting PHNC

Before folks get the wheels turning, I caution all of you on the following:

1. It is a RUMOR that ND can opt out of the ACC GOR before the college football playoff begins. It sure would be great if a good reporter out there could actually confirm that.
    2. I still think that the Big 10 going after Navy is a huge stretch that only makes sense in one place...getting Notre Dame. They have national distribution already with the BTN. The Navy eyeballs will add some numbers, but in my opinion, and I see lots of research on this, they are not really adding a great deal to the deal. I think that Kansas, Iowa State, and UConn are all better options for the Big 10.
    3. If this is true, it means that the Big 10 is trying to make a defensive play against the ACC. They think that the ACC is going to move and they want to stop it. I just don't see the ACC going toward Navy unless it guarantees ND full participation. I do know this, if Stech believes that Navy is/was an ACC target, then that is probably true.
    4. I still think Texas will move. There is an article discussing how the folks in Austin are not too thrilled about how Texas A&M appears to have "passed" UT since their SEC move. This means that there is some desire in Austin to make a big splash. That big splash can only be a move to the ACC or Big 10. If the Big 10 was going to bring in Texas, why would they want Navy?

Before folks get the wheels turning, I caution all of you on the following:

1. It is a RUMOR that ND can opt out of the ACC GOR before the college football playoff begins. It sure would be great if a good reporter out there could actually confirm that.
    2. I still think that the Big 10 going after Navy is a huge stretch that only makes sense in one place...getting Notre Dame. They have national distribution already with the BTN. The Navy eyeballs will add some numbers, but in my opinion, and I see lots of research on this, they are not really adding a great deal to the deal. I think that Kansas, Iowa State, and UConn are all better options for the Big 10.
    3. If this is true, it means that the Big 10 is trying to make a defensive play against the ACC. They think that the ACC is going to move and they want to stop it. I just don't see the ACC going toward Navy unless it guarantees ND full participation. I do know this, if Stech believes that Navy is/was an ACC target, then that is probably true.
    4. I still think Texas will move. There is an article discussing how the folks in Austin are not too thrilled about how Texas A&M appears to have "passed" UT since their SEC move. This means that there is some desire in Austin to make a big splash. That big splash can only be a move to the ACC or Big 10. If the Big 10 was going to bring in Texas, why would they want Navy?
    understood completely. i was just playing along under the assumption everything you were relaying was accurate. i also think it's all a long shot at best. Texas is the perennial wild card...and probably still will be once they do make a move. they're the hot, crazy chick in all of this. ND is the hot, rich chick with powerful parents who isn't really fun, but at least she's not (too) crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by BUGGZY View Post
    1. Navy isn't AAU material, now or ever in the future given their purpose. - Fair Point
    2. Navy isn't CIC material, they have no research. - Fair Point
    3. Navy football isn't really very competitive. They would be a basement dweller in the B1G. - Fair Point
    4. Navy's other sports teams (basketball, etc.) are not competitive at all. - New B1G LAX could use them
    5. Navy is already within the current B1G footprint, and there is a strong desire to push into new states with expansion to benefit the B1G Network. - Navy doesn't have a footprint. BTN could be like AFN. every city with a major Naval base may become their "footprint"

I lived in the Baltimore area for 26 years and Navy rarely got much TV time or much coverage on the local channels (local sports news, newspapers,...). I think 1 radio station covers their football games. I know people who served the in the Navy (not Annapolis grads) who could care less about Navy football except for their annual Army-Navy game. I think Army, Navy, and Air Force won't carry the "national footprint" like many suggest. To be honest, nobody really cares. Only a few select football programs can pull that off. I'd like to know Army's and Navy's TV ratings o then CBS Sports Network. IMHO, I don't think Navy would fit in any Power Conference. The military academies have a much different vision for academics and athletics than the other 125 FBS schools. Yes, the ACC could add Navy and get back into the Baltimore TV market but I believe most TV sets in the Baltimore metro area wouldn't be turned on to Navy football or men's basketball. Maryland is the top attraction and they are now in the Big 10. Maryland football doesn't even do well in the local TV ratings. Terps hoops and lax do well. Baltimore-DC is a NFL-first market. It would be risky for the Big 10 to take Navy and have Notre Dame end up saying "No thanks, we're happy with our arrangement with the ACC." I also think Notre Dame values their football independence and will do everything possible to remain that way.

If Texas joined the ACC what would they call the conference?

The Atlantic Gulf Coast conference?

Quote Originally Posted by VaAkita View Post
    If Texas joined the ACC what would they call the conference?

The Atlantic Gulf Coast conference?
    ATAC (Atlantic & Texas Athletic Conference)

though with ND and L'ville (and even Pitt), maybe:

AFC (Atlantic & Frontier Conference)

We will not join the big ten. I think all of of our moves the last few years proves this. If we ever join a conference in full it will be one with schools much like ourselves. And the only conference that delivers that is the ACC.