Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 34
  1. #21
    Old Line Hokie's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 05, 2001
    Location
    3659′36″N 7813′30″W
    Posts
    3,481
    Quote Originally Posted by DonHo-kieHi View Post
    Where do you get this stuff??? Is any of this documented or is this your humble opinion?? I've not heard the first whisper about ANY of this.
    IMHO, Texas A&M's SEC membership won't hurt them academically or research-wise. I like Tech being in the ACC but the SEC's academic shortfalls are over exaggerated. Vandy, Florida, UGa, TAMU, Mizzou, Bama, and Auburn are considered Top 100 schools. Tennessee is #101 like NCSU. Except for 2 or 3, the other schools aren't that bad academically. The first 3 named SEC schools are rated higher than Tech academically and we are tied with TAMU. All the SEC schools are ranked in the top 150. Future ACC member Louisville is ranked #161. No doubt the ACC and Big 10 are the best academic conferences among the Power 5, but the SEC seems to be improving.

  2. #22
    Edgeman's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 05, 2001
    Location
    Virginia Beach
    Posts
    49,228
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Line Hokie View Post
    IMHO, Texas A&M's SEC membership won't hurt them academically or research-wise. I like Tech being in the ACC but the SEC's academic shortfalls are over exaggerated. Vandy, Florida, UGa, TAMU, Mizzou, Bama, and Auburn are considered Top 100 schools. Tennessee is #101 like NCSU. Except for 2 or 3, the other schools aren't that bad academically. The first 3 named SEC schools are rated higher than Tech academically and we are tied with TAMU. All the SEC schools are ranked in the top 150. Future ACC member Louisville is ranked #161. No doubt the ACC and Big 10 are the best academic conferences among the Power 5, but the SEC seems to be improving.
    I always thought that argument was way overblown & very Hooish in nature. Still can't believe Sports Center gave Stanford a pass for "midterms," calling them a real academic institution. Like no other university in the country has to worry about classes/grades...un-freaking-believable!
    "You start a conversation you can't even finish it
    You're talkin' a lot, but you're not sayin' anything
    When I have nothing to say, my lips are sealed
    Say something once, why say it again?"
    - David Byrne

  3. #23

    Join Date
    February 16, 2001
    Posts
    14,845
    Quote Originally Posted by lawhokie View Post
    I'm sure everybody in Burruss would have jumped at a B1G offer.
    It is simple economics....the Out of State students who pay the larger tuition amounts mainly come from the northeast. In the New ACC we now get northeastern exposure and many geographical close rivals for all sports. The SEC would not give us the same level of northeastern exposure and the B1G would not give us many close rivals unless they could make the ACC fall apart. They tired and could not get it done.
    Last edited by Stech; Sun Oct 13 2013 at 07:27 PM.

  4. #24
    I can. Those talking heads have to cover their own butts. They talk up Stanford, then Stanford embarrasses themselves & espn talking heads. Talking heads must explain away their embarassment.

    Quote Originally Posted by Edgeman View Post
    I always thought that argument was way overblown & very Hooish in nature. Still can't believe Sports Center gave Stanford a pass for "midterms," calling them a real academic institution. Like no other university in the country has to worry about classes/grades...un-freaking-believable!

  5. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by DeBord View Post
    Some of the comments/input Bubba received from alumni are interesting, and some quite funny. Bottom line, there were some very worried people about the future of UNC.

    http://www.newsobserver.com/2013/10/...-acc-when.html
    Of course he was worried about being to compete in money. How else could he afford to pay all his football and basketball players?

  6. #26

    Join Date
    January 05, 2001
    Posts
    15,119
    Quote Originally Posted by Stech View Post
    It is simple economics....the Out of State students who pay the larger tuition amounts mainly come from the northeast. In the New ACC we now get northeastern exposure and many geographical close rivals for all sports. The SEC would not give us the same level of northeastern exposure and the B1G would not give us many close rivals unless they could make the ACC fall apart. They tired and could not get it done.
    I appreciate the theory, but I'm not sure students from the northeast are selecting Virginia Tech because of its conference affiliation. Granted it was a long time ago, but I don't remember any northeastern kids saying those chose VT for that reason. The main reason was that out of state VT tuition was lower than some in-state tuition up north.

    What worries me most are dwindling Hokie Club support. I just got my HC statement and I see that Hokie Club membership is down an astounding 8% from 2012. It looks like all of the rumblings I've heard about weak ACC scheduling has had a serious effect on donors. I don't have the total donation numbers yet, but I'd guess they'd be way down too.

  7. #27

    Join Date
    October 25, 1999
    Posts
    866
    Quote Originally Posted by lawhokie View Post
    What worries me most are dwindling Hokie Club support. I just got my HC statement and I see that Hokie Club membership is down an astounding 8% from 2012. It looks like all of the rumblings I've heard about weak ACC scheduling has had a serious effect on donors. I don't have the total donation numbers yet, but I'd guess they'd be way down too.
    I'm not sure that I would attribute it all to weak ACC scheduling. I think there are multiple factors at play: (1) a poor year on the field last year, (2) a poor home schedule this year, and (3) the weak economy.

    I'm a big fan and there is no home game that got me excited about the opponent this year.

  8. #28

    Join Date
    September 03, 2002
    Location
    Baltimore
    Posts
    1,989
    Quote Originally Posted by lawhokie View Post
    I appreciate the theory, but I'm not sure students from the northeast are selecting Virginia Tech because of its conference affiliation. Granted it was a long time ago, but I don't remember any northeastern kids saying those chose VT for that reason. The main reason was that out of state VT tuition was lower than some in-state tuition up north.

    What worries me most are dwindling Hokie Club support. I just got my HC statement and I see that Hokie Club membership is down an astounding 8% from 2012. It looks like all of the rumblings I've heard about weak ACC scheduling has had a serious effect on donors. I don't have the total donation numbers yet, but I'd guess they'd be way down too.

    Well, I'd guess we'd need increasing exposure, given that area of the country is shrinking in population.

  9. #29

    Join Date
    September 03, 2002
    Location
    Baltimore
    Posts
    1,989
    Quote Originally Posted by Edgeman View Post
    I always thought that argument was way overblown & very Hooish in nature. Still can't believe Sports Center gave Stanford a pass for "midterms," calling them a real academic institution. Like no other university in the country has to worry about classes/grades...un-freaking-believable!
    Even more so given that Stanford wasn't in midterms (they're on quarters)

  10. #30

    Join Date
    January 01, 2005
    Location
    Blacksburg
    Posts
    4,404
    Quote Originally Posted by hokiefan86 View Post
    Even more so given that Stanford wasn't in midterms (they're on quarters)
    One of the announcers in last night's UNC-Miami game said something about the excellent academic institution UNC is. Either he forgot about that little academic fiasco during the Davis years or has decided since the NCAA said there was nothing there, there really was nothing there.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •