Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by SuwaneeHokie820 View Post
    Yes.

I think the better move would have been to join the B1G along with UVA, Maryland, and Rutgers to round them out to 16. Academically and culturally a better fit.
    This would have been a better move even without UVA. VT is a B1G type school in every way except AAU status. Even that's debatable, as seen with Nebraska.

Quote Originally Posted by lawhokie View Post
    The argument for publicly stating our allegiance to the ACC was predicated on the perception that UNC would never leave their fiefdom in the ACC.

Well, it turns out the UNC was not as solid in their commitment as some argued. If UNC had bolted for the B1G, I imagine that FSU and Clemson would have immediately left for the Big Twelve. VT could have ended up in the B12 which would have been a disaster imo.

I still think that VT should have made a hard play for the SEC. The ACC has many advantages - primarily travel and the academic reputation - but the SEC was still the safe choice. And, when you add A&M, VT, Mizzou, and maybe another academic or research power to the SEC, is it really that far behind? I still consider the ACC to be unstable; mainly because most of the members would probably rather be in another conference.
    I think the Big12 with an eastern division of Clemson, WVU, FSU, VT, NC St., Louisville, Iowa St. and Miami would be pretty decent.

Quote Originally Posted by MrFantastic! View Post
    Back then it seemed as if UNC had so many options. If so why so nervous from the arrogance Chapel Hill bunch? To me I just wonder if the #'s the BIG 10 and other leagues say are actually true? Or now the ACC has a future plan that will rock the world.... TEXAS, PSU, OU and of course maybe ND?

My other thinking is wouldn't it be great to see all the backroom info VT was involved with? VT was very quiet. Almost to much. Still was that a HUGE positive. If UNC was nervous then STATE and VT to SEC? No matter it is funny to see the baby blue a lil nervous. I would say though deep down it was not all that much.
    I'm pretty sure VT made the decision to ride UVA, Duke, and UNC's coattails as long as possible. Basically, we were gonna do what they decided to do. If they got serious about leaving, we finally would.

Quote Originally Posted by MrFantastic! View Post
    Back then it seemed as if UNC had so many options. If so why so nervous from the arrogance Chapel Hill bunch? To me I just wonder if the #'s the BIG 10 and other leagues say are actually true? Or now the ACC has a future plan that will rock the world.... TEXAS, PSU, OU and of course maybe ND?

My other thinking is wouldn't it be great to see all the backroom info VT was involved with? VT was very quiet. Almost to much. Still was that a HUGE positive. If UNC was nervous then STATE and VT to SEC? No matter it is funny to see the baby blue a lil nervous. I would say though deep down it was not all that much.
    And I think their concerns are still what concerns them, and us, today. How big is this money gap going to be? It's a real question that still hasn't been answered. It's crystal clear that the B1G and SEC are going to be making quite a bit more money than UNC, but how much will it be? Maryland saw enough to make the move, UNC would need it to be on the higher side of estimates to make a move reasonable. The end game may still end up with UNC, Clemson, FSU, VT, and others $100 million dollars behind the PSU, Oklahoma, and Michigan State's of the world. Is that fair?

Quote Originally Posted by DeBord View Post
    Some of the comments/input Bubba received from alumni are interesting, and some quite funny. Bottom line, there were some very worried people about the future of UNC.

http://www.newsobserver.com/2013/10/...-acc-when.html
    Every ACC president and AD worried when Maryland left. One of the founding schools with 60 years membership was leaving for more money. At that time, the ACC didn't have a GOR agreement and was falling behind the SEC, Big 10, and Pac 12 in television revenue. Since then, the ACC replaced Maryland with Louisville, signed a GOR agreement, and got a little closer to what the "Big Boys" are getting from television deals.

I believe Cunningham when he said UNC's first priority was to keep the ACC together and increase their television money. After the GOR expires in 2026-27, the ACC will once again be on pins and needles if they can't remain competitive with the neighboring SEC and Big 10 in television revenue. Right now, the SEC and Big 10 appear to be top dogs with their television deals. My question is will both of those conferences' television deals actually live up to their expectations/projections. If so, the ACC will still be in trouble as many ACC members will complain about the ACC/ESPN deal being inferior to the SEC's and Big 10's. You can bet schools like FSU, GT, and Clemson will be shopping 2 or 3 years before the GOR expires. If the ACC improves its football product in 5 or so years, then the revenue gap between the ACC and Big/SEC should lessen and most ACC schools will be satisfied with their ACC membership.

Quote Originally Posted by King of Hokies View Post
    Hysterical quote from a UNC fan to Cunningham:
    “I am so tired of hearing ‘UNC-Cheat’ and other derogatory comments from our ‘loyal’ (ACC) partners. … I would find this ‘holier than thou’ attitude a little less likely in the SEC.”

Yep, UNC would fit right in in the SEC. No questions asked. Not one eyelid batted. Business as usual in the SEC. They might laugh at how bad UNC was despite the rampant cheating, though!
    Here's a rare bit of honesty from another UNC fan:

“There are so many great things about Carolina but as long as we are in the ACC we will be viewed as the rich kid who always gets preferential treatment and gets all the calls."

Oh, wait. Is he saying it is unfair that UNC is viewed this way? That it is some sort of conspiracy that every other ACC school shares this opinion of UNC, and that it is in no way based in reality? Gosh, it sure must suck to be such a persecuted fan base.

The B1G would be perfect for VT, but I've never heard of any interest.

Quote Originally Posted by SuwaneeHokie820 View Post
    Yes.

I think the better move would have been to join the B1G along with UVA, Maryland, and Rutgers to round them out to 16. Academically and culturally a better fit.
    I'm sure everybody in Burruss would have jumped at a B1G offer.

Yup... my favorite quote too

Quote Originally Posted by King of Hokies View Post
    Hysterical quote from a UNC fan to Cunningham:
    “I am so tired of hearing ‘UNC-Cheat’ and other derogatory comments from our ‘loyal’ (ACC) partners. … I would find this ‘holier than thou’ attitude a little less likely in the SEC.”

Yep, UNC would fit right in in the SEC. No questions asked. Not one eyelid batted. Business as usual in the SEC. They might laugh at how bad UNC was despite the rampant cheating, though!
    It just breaks my heart to see a Tarheel wounded like this (tic). UNC is the pretty girl who is drunk and crying at a frat party because her good friend (aka Maryland) decided to join the other sorority and then called her a tramp as she left the frat house.

This is why the fans' perspective isn't so important to the people making decisions...

"Knowledge is good"

--Emil Faber, 1904

Where do you get this stuff??? Is any of this documented or is this your humble opinion?? I've not heard the first whisper about ANY of this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    he BOV and the president is really concerned about the 'balance' between academics, research and athletics; and they feel the SEC would drastically change the direction of VT into another sports factory. They see Texas A&M losing control of academics now they are in the SEC and they dont want to go there.

Already, VT punted on Thursday nite football this year, reported that Weaver got pressure from Burress hall over the disruption to the academic programs. Also, there is another report that Burress hall is really pleased with Noon games because it reduces the tailgating (and the drinking/partying). I worry we are pulling back.

I disagree- great leadership can assure great academics, great student athletes and great research. In this world university's have to be aggressive, and jump out, not retreat and be tentative.
    The pessimist sees difficulty in ever opportunity. The optimist sees opportunity
    in ever difficulty - W Churchill