Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

It is about the exposure you get when you play teams from the northeast, not necessarily about the conference. The top of mind does increase enrollment. Most who follow this stuff feel we can ramp up our exposure by starting to play teams from there again. As far as the other posters comment about the Northeast decreasing...it doesn't matter they still dwarf the other parts of the country in population and income. They are the main ones paying the higher out of state tuition.

PS Losing Maryland is a big loss for us. IMHO we need to get back in that region so we are top of mind again.

Quote Originally Posted by lawhokie View Post
    I appreciate the theory, but I'm not sure students from the northeast are selecting Virginia Tech because of its conference affiliation. Granted it was a long time ago, but I don't remember any northeastern kids saying those chose VT for that reason. The main reason was that out of state VT tuition was lower than some in-state tuition up north.

What worries me most are dwindling Hokie Club support. I just got my HC statement and I see that Hokie Club membership is down an astounding 8% from 2012. It looks like all of the rumblings I've heard about weak ACC scheduling has had a serious effect on donors. I don't have the total donation numbers yet, but I'd guess they'd be way down too.

Quote Originally Posted by Stech View Post
    It is about the exposure you get when you play teams from the northeast, not necessarily about the conference. The top of mind does increase enrollment. Most who follow this stuff feel we can ramp up our exposure by starting to play teams from there again. As far as the other posters comment about the Northeast decreasing...it doesn't matter they still dwarf the other parts of the country in population and income. They are the main ones paying the higher out of state tuition.

PS Losing Maryland is a big loss for us. IMHO we need to get back in that region so we are top of mind again.
    Agreed. I have no doubt this has been discussed in Burruss Hall. GWR/MD is probably our most critical academic recruiting area based on sheer numbers. Losing "top of mind" status in that area is not good. Same goes for athletic recruiting as well. Losing UMD to B1G hurt us more than anyone else in the ACC.

Quote Originally Posted by Femoyer Hokie View Post
    Agreed. I have no doubt this has been discussed in Burruss Hall. GWR/MD is probably our most critical academic recruiting area based on sheer numbers. Losing "top of mind" status in that area is not good. Same goes for athletic recruiting as well. Losing UMD to B1G hurt us more than anyone else in the ACC.
    I agree as far as TV sets are concerned that the ACC got hurt when Maryland left for the Big 10. Plus the ACC lost another large land-grant university. As for Tech, as long as Marylanders can attend Tech with in-state tuition (Maryland residents can attend Tech if the UMCP does not provide a major that Tech has such as veterinary medicine, some engineering majors, several agriculture majors, ....). Plus 1,000's of Marylanders attended Tech back when Tech was a football independent and played all their other sports in the Metro Conference and A-10/Big East. Tech is a very popular out-of-state choice for Marylanders. I would say that Tech and Penn State are the top 2 most popular out-of-state schools for Marylanders to attend. IMHO, I don't think conference affiliation really matters to most Marylanders attending Tech.

These were documents that were subpoenaed from the suit. Don't believe a FOIA request would apply if a press organization was to file a request.