Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 34
  1. #1
    DeBord's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 05, 2001
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    14,025

    Some interesting backrrom stuff re UNC-Bubba-ACC after Maryland bolted.

    Some of the comments/input Bubba received from alumni are interesting, and some quite funny. Bottom line, there were some very worried people about the future of UNC.

    http://www.newsobserver.com/2013/10/...-acc-when.html
    He who expecteth nothin ain't gonna be deceived.

  2. #2

    Join Date
    January 05, 2001
    Posts
    15,119

    This just shows how dangerous it was for VT to publicly dismiss the SEC.

    Quote Originally Posted by DeBord View Post
    Some of the comments/input Bubba received from alumni are interesting, and some quite funny. Bottom line, there were some very worried people about the future of UNC.

    http://www.newsobserver.com/2013/10/...-acc-when.html
    The argument for publicly stating our allegiance to the ACC was predicated on the perception that UNC would never leave their fiefdom in the ACC.

    Well, it turns out the UNC was not as solid in their commitment as some argued. If UNC had bolted for the B1G, I imagine that FSU and Clemson would have immediately left for the Big Twelve. VT could have ended up in the B12 which would have been a disaster imo.

    I still think that VT should have made a hard play for the SEC. The ACC has many advantages - primarily travel and the academic reputation - but the SEC was still the safe choice. And, when you add A&M, VT, Mizzou, and maybe another academic or research power to the SEC, is it really that far behind? I still consider the ACC to be unstable; mainly because most of the members would probably rather be in another conference.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    May 18, 2006
    Posts
    4,112

    ????

    Quote Originally Posted by DeBord View Post
    Some of the comments/input Bubba received from alumni are interesting, and some quite funny. Bottom line, there were some very worried people about the future of UNC.

    http://www.newsobserver.com/2013/10/...-acc-when.html
    Back then it seemed as if UNC had so many options. If so why so nervous from the arrogance Chapel Hill bunch? To me I just wonder if the #'s the BIG 10 and other leagues say are actually true? Or now the ACC has a future plan that will rock the world.... TEXAS, PSU, OU and of course maybe ND?

    My other thinking is wouldn't it be great to see all the backroom info VT was involved with? VT was very quiet. Almost to much. Still was that a HUGE positive. If UNC was nervous then STATE and VT to SEC? No matter it is funny to see the baby blue a lil nervous. I would say though deep down it was not all that much.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    January 01, 2005
    Location
    Blacksburg
    Posts
    4,404
    Quote Originally Posted by lawhokie View Post
    The argument for publicly stating our allegiance to the ACC was predicated on the perception that UNC would never leave their fiefdom in the ACC.

    Well, it turns out the UNC was not as solid in their commitment as some argued. If UNC had bolted for the B1G, I imagine that FSU and Clemson would have immediately left for the Big Twelve. VT could have ended up in the B12 which would have been a disaster imo.

    I still think that VT should have made a hard play for the SEC. The ACC has many advantages - primarily travel and the academic reputation - but the SEC was still the safe choice. And, when you add A&M, VT, Mizzou, and maybe another academic or research power to the SEC, is it really that far behind? I still consider the ACC to be unstable; mainly because most of the members would probably rather be in another conference.
    Is "rather be in another conference" a legitimate desire based on facts or is it a "grass is greener" misconception?

  5. #5

    Join Date
    May 18, 2006
    Posts
    4,112
    Hard to say. IMHO for the ACC to become stable most schools had to see something else coming.



    I just would love to know VT's play during all this. We were stealth to the public but were we sneaky behind the scenes?


    I think VT was SEC bound if all hell broke loose. JMHO

  6. #6

    Join Date
    October 12, 1999
    Posts
    8,543
    Quote Originally Posted by DeBord View Post
    Some of the comments/input Bubba received from alumni are interesting, and some quite funny. Bottom line, there were some very worried people about the future of UNC.

    http://www.newsobserver.com/2013/10/...-acc-when.html
    Hysterical quote from a UNC fan to Cunningham:
    “I am so tired of hearing ‘UNC-Cheat’ and other derogatory comments from our ‘loyal’ (ACC) partners. … I would find this ‘holier than thou’ attitude a little less likely in the SEC.”

    Yep, UNC would fit right in in the SEC. No questions asked. Not one eyelid batted. Business as usual in the SEC. They might laugh at how bad UNC was despite the rampant cheating, though!

  7. #7
    Senior Member Mercury's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 13, 2012
    Posts
    1,186

    I feel the administration in burress hall and the BOV were insistent NO SEC

    he BOV and the president is really concerned about the 'balance' between academics, research and athletics; and they feel the SEC would drastically change the direction of VT into another sports factory. They see Texas A&M losing control of academics now they are in the SEC and they dont want to go there.

    Already, VT punted on Thursday nite football this year, reported that Weaver got pressure from Burress hall over the disruption to the academic programs. Also, there is another report that Burress hall is really pleased with Noon games because it reduces the tailgating (and the drinking/partying). I worry we are pulling back.

    I disagree- great leadership can assure great academics, great student athletes and great research. In this world university's have to be aggressive, and jump out, not retreat and be tentative.



    Quote Originally Posted by lawhokie View Post
    The argument for publicly stating our allegiance to the ACC was predicated on the perception that UNC would never leave their fiefdom in the ACC.

    Well, it turns out the UNC was not as solid in their commitment as some argued. If UNC had bolted for the B1G, I imagine that FSU and Clemson would have immediately left for the Big Twelve. VT could have ended up in the B12 which would have been a disaster imo.

    I still think that VT should have made a hard play for the SEC. The ACC has many advantages - primarily travel and the academic reputation - but the SEC was still the safe choice. And, when you add A&M, VT, Mizzou, and maybe another academic or research power to the SEC, is it really that far behind? I still consider the ACC to be unstable; mainly because most of the members would probably rather be in another conference.

  8. #8
    DeBord's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 05, 2001
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    14,025
    Quote Originally Posted by King of Hokies View Post
    Hysterical quote from a UNC fan to Cunningham:
    “I am so tired of hearing ‘UNC-Cheat’ and other derogatory comments from our ‘loyal’ (ACC) partners. … I would find this ‘holier than thou’ attitude a little less likely in the SEC.”

    Yep, UNC would fit right in in the SEC. No questions asked. Not one eyelid batted. Business as usual in the SEC. They might laugh at how bad UNC was despite the rampant cheating, though!
    Ha! And that's the rub. Cheat their arses off and still would get crushed in the SEC.
    He who expecteth nothin ain't gonna be deceived.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    June 25, 2001
    Location
    Marriottsville, MD
    Posts
    5,703
    Quote Originally Posted by DeBord View Post
    Some of the comments/input Bubba received from alumni are interesting, and some quite funny. Bottom line, there were some very worried people about the future of UNC.

    http://www.newsobserver.com/2013/10/...-acc-when.html

    I wish Andy Bitter would FOIA emails from VT around this time - I would like to see if the SEC was in play or what they were thinking.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 21, 2013
    Location
    ROVAsucks
    Posts
    513
    Quote Originally Posted by lawhokie View Post
    when you add A&M, VT, Mizzou, and maybe another academic or research power to the SEC, is it really that far behind?
    Yes.

    I think the better move would have been to join the B1G along with UVA, Maryland, and Rutgers to round them out to 16. Academically and culturally a better fit.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •