Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The Dude is at it again...

From his Twitter account yesterday:

I was told to expect "big" expansion news from the B1G sometime today. Maybe I'll be alive for a show tomorrow night.

So it is almost 5PM the next day and no news has broken. I am sure that the Big 10 will soon announce that Buffalo will be joining the Leaders or the Legends division very soon.

We're still holding our breath and waiting for our last promised BIG news, aren't we?

Maybe they are letting Bucknell into their Lacrosse league?

Quote Originally Posted by CobbCountyHokie View Post

I was told to expect "big" expansion news from the B1G sometime today. Maybe I'll be alive for a show tomorrow night.

So it is almost 5PM the next day and no news has broken. I am sure that the Big 10 will soon announce that Buffalo will be joining the Leaders or the Legends division very soon.
    Well, buffalos are big (or B1G), right?

The rumor out there today is Jim Delany is announcing Big 10 membership to Toronto and McGill tomorrow at 9 a.m. Unfortunately, the Buffalo deal fell through. Delany and all 14 Big 10 presidents will make the announcement on the Canadian side of Niagara Falls at Queen Victoria Park. Later they will all be served brunch at Howard Johnson's at 5905 Victoria Avenue, Niagara Falls, Ontario. There will be plenty of Canadian bacon.

It is also rumored that the Big 10 will accommodate their new Canadian members with this:

I was bored tonight and tuned into The Dude's podcast. I had it on in the background while doing some other work. After painfully suffering through all the talk about why WV's team is getting beat up by Baylor and Maryland for 30 minutes he finally gave his expansion news. It has more to do with the Big XII than the Big Ten anyway. He said that the Big Ten is waiting to see who Texas hires to replace DeLoss Dodds. They think it is between Bill Bolsby and Tom Jurich. He thinks Bolsby would be better for the Big XII. He thinks Jurich would be bad because Jurich might take Texas independent and move Olympic Sports into the ACC like Notre Dame. If that happens then Kansas and Oklahoma are in position to go to the Big Ten. None of this is really news that isn't floating out there.

In addition, he's saying that his sources are saying that the Big XII is getting pressure to have a Conference Championship Game from both the Big XII television partners and the Playoff Committee. The Playoff Committee is discussing stronly weighing Championship Game results on playoff eligibility. This will affect Notre Dame too BTW. He said that given this pressure the Big XII is vetting candidates again. The schools topping the list are BYU, Cincinnati, Central Florida, and East Carolina. He said that South Florida and Connecticut have dropped off the list. He said that they have discussed adding 2 teams as well as 4 teams.

I have seen other places where FOX wants one of its conferences to have presence in Florida for its Network. Its conferences are Big XII, Big Ten, and PAC 12 since ESPN has locked up the SEC and ACC. FOX sees the only way into Florida is to get the Big XII to add a Florida school. The Big Ten has now whiffed on that idea given the ACC GOR.

This could all be BS like most of what he comes up with, but again I was bored and listened to him and all the painfully LOUD ads for some restaurants in Morgantown.

Quote Originally Posted by HOO86 View Post
    I was bored tonight and tuned into The Dude's podcast. I had it on in the background while doing some other work. After painfully suffering through all the talk about why WV's team is getting beat up by Baylor and Maryland for 30 minutes he finally gave his expansion news. It has more to do with the Big XII than the Big Ten anyway. He said that the Big Ten is waiting to see who Texas hires to replace DeLoss Dodds. They think it is between Bill Bolsby and Tom Jurich. He thinks Bolsby would be better for the Big XII. He thinks Jurich would be bad because Jurich might take Texas independent and move Olympic Sports into the ACC like Notre Dame. If that happens then Kansas and Oklahoma are in position to go to the Big Ten. None of this is really news that isn't floating out there.

In addition, he's saying that his sources are saying that the Big XII is getting pressure to have a Conference Championship Game from both the Big XII television partners and the Playoff Committee. The Playoff Committee is discussing stronly weighing Championship Game results on playoff eligibility. This will affect Notre Dame too BTW. He said that given this pressure the Big XII is vetting candidates again. The schools topping the list are BYU, Cincinnati, Central Florida, and East Carolina. He said that South Florida and Connecticut have dropped off the list. He said that they have discussed adding 2 teams as well as 4 teams.

I have seen other places where FOX wants one of its conferences to have presence in Florida for its Network. Its conferences are Big XII, Big Ten, and PAC 12 since ESPN has locked up the SEC and ACC. FOX sees the only way into Florida is to get the Big XII to add a Florida school. The Big Ten has now whiffed on that idea given the ACC GOR.

This could all be BS like most of what he comes up with, but again I was bored and listened to him and all the painfully LOUD ads for some restaurants in Morgantown.
    thanks for the recap. so in the same podcast, he mentions Texas choosing to go independent and the playoff committee including conference championship games in their criteria...nice
    "This no more resembles that than something unlike something else resembles that." - Loosely quoting PHNC

Quote Originally Posted by BUGGZY View Post
    thanks for the recap. so in the same podcast, he mentions Texas choosing to go independent and the playoff committee including conference championship games in their criteria...nice
    He did, and yes they don't really add up. The Texas going independent story is out there other places on the net. Apparently the only way that Texas can exit the Big XII and get out of the Big XII GOR agreement is to go independent. They would have to forfeit their GOR if they join another conference in football before the expiration.

Quote Originally Posted by HOO86 View Post
    He did, and yes they don't really add up. The Texas going independent story is out there other places on the net. Apparently the only way that Texas can exit the Big XII and get out of the Big XII GOR agreement is to go independent. They would have to forfeit their GOR if they join another conference in football before the expiration.
    Wait, is that how their GOR was written? Their media rights are granted to the Big XII-II-II+II, and remain with the Big XII-II-II+II if a school moves to another conference, but the Big XII-II-II+II gives them back to the school if the school leaves the conference, but remains independent in football?

That doesn't make sense.
    No trees were harmed in the making of this post. However, billions of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Quote Originally Posted by Freddyburg Hokie View Post
    Wait, is that how their GOR was written? Their media rights are granted to the Big XII-II-II+II, and remain with the Big XII-II-II+II if a school moves to another conference, but the Big XII-II-II+II gives them back to the school if the school leaves the conference, but remains independent in football?

That doesn't make sense.
    tu lawyers >>> Big12/other school lawyers?
    "This no more resembles that than something unlike something else resembles that." - Loosely quoting PHNC