What are the chances the Big 12 folds around Texas?

If UT decides to camp out and milk the LHN deal for all it's worth, could FOX orchestrate an exodus of 6 Big 12 schools (other than Texas) to the B1G and the PAC?

In order to please state legislators, I would think both schools from Oklahoma and Kansas would have to be involved... one school from each state given a spot in the B1G and the PAC to expand their footprints.

Then the PAC would need to convince Texas Tech and Baylor to jump out of the shadow of Big Brother and head west, rounding off the 6 schools required to break the GOR.

Obviously Texas and Oklahoma are the pair most coveted by Jim Delany and Larry Scott, but if Texas refuses to budge, how long can they afford to wait without acting? And how long will the rest of the Big 12 cower underneath the Eyes of Texas?

Quote Originally Posted by JEHokie View Post
    If UT decides to camp out and milk the LHN deal for all it's worth, could FOX orchestrate an exodus of 6 Big 12 schools (other than Texas) to the B1G and the PAC?

In order to please state legislators, I would think both schools from Oklahoma and Kansas would have to be involved... one school from each state given a spot in the B1G and the PAC to expand their footprints.

Then the PAC would need to convince Texas Tech and Baylor to jump out of the shadow of Big Brother and head west, rounding off the 6 schools required to break the GOR.

Obviously Texas and Oklahoma are the pair most coveted by Jim Delany and Larry Scott, but if Texas refuses to budge, how long can they afford to wait without acting? And how long will the rest of the Big 12 cower underneath the Eyes of Texas?
    To this point the Big Ten has only wanted AAU schools. In the Big XII, that is Iowa State, Kansas, and Texas. The PAC 12 seems to only want an addition that includes Texas in the mix. They turned down Oklahoma without Texas a couple of years ago. That will leave a lot of klingers (Texas Tech to Texas, Oklahoma State to Oklahoma, Kansas State to Kanas) that those leagues really don't want. The Big Ten really should take Iowa State IMO, but they don't seem to want Iowa State.

Much of what happens is going to depend on how the playoff access gets structured in the Division 4 setup. There is a push to implement the requirement that to access the playoff semifinal you must be declared Conference Champion in a Conference Championship game. If this is ultimately the rule for access, it will impact much including the Big XII now needing 2 more schools and Notre Dame needing to join a conference. This will also impact what Texas ultimately decides to do.

Then the Long Horn Network is a factor. Perhaps ESPN will encourage Texas to move in the ACC's direction over the network. A lot of interesting stuff could happen.

Quote Originally Posted by HOO86 View Post
    To this point the Big Ten has only wanted AAU schools. In the Big XII, that is Iowa State, Kansas, and Texas. The PAC 12 seems to only want an addition that includes Texas in the mix. They turned down Oklahoma without Texas a couple of years ago. That will leave a lot of klingers (Texas Tech to Texas, Oklahoma State to Oklahoma, Kansas State to Kanas) that those leagues really don't want. The Big Ten really should take Iowa State IMO, but they don't seem to want Iowa State.

Much of what happens is going to depend on how the playoff access gets structured in the Division 4 setup. There is a push to implement the requirement that to access the playoff semifinal you must be declared Conference Champion in a Conference Championship game. If this is ultimately the rule for access, it will impact much including the Big XII now needing 2 more schools and Notre Dame needing to join a conference. This will also impact what Texas ultimately decides to do.

Then the Long Horn Network is a factor. Perhaps ESPN will encourage Texas to move in the ACC's direction over the network. A lot of interesting stuff could happen.
    I'm not sure with already having Iowa, you'd see ISU being invited to the B1G by themselves. I feel like it would have to be with some other schools as part of a group.

Quote Originally Posted by HokieDevil View Post
    I'm not sure with already having Iowa, you'd see ISU being invited to the B1G by themselves. I feel like it would have to be with some other schools as part of a group.
    Given that the Big Ten decided to add Maryland and Rutgers, I believe that just about closed the door on Iowa St ever joining the Big Ten. If the Big Ten had decided to expand west, then the Big Ten could have looked something like this:

East: Michigan, Michigan St, Ohio St, Indiana, Purdue, Illinois, Northwestern, Penn State
    West: Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa, Iowa St, Missouri, Kansas, Kansas St, Nebraska

Even though Missouri might make more football money in the SEC, I believe the school would gladly trade it for the money it could earn in the CIC. For grins and giggles, you could substitute Notre Dame for Penn State (assuming the ACC would be willing to trade schools). From a rivalry standpoint, that would preserve majority of the rivalries with Michigan-Minnesota and Michigan St-Wisconsin being the only rivalries that would "suffer."

As it stands now, if the Big Ten wants to expand to 16 then I see the conference adding 2 more east schools; not west schools. Since there are rivalries between the Illinois and Indiana schools, it would be better to move Indiana to the West Division instead of Purdue to the East Division because the Big Ten could preserve those rivalries.

In a series of tubes, filled mostly with cats
    What are the chances the Big 12 folds around Texas?

0.00000000000000000001% chance of it happening.

Texas Tech and Baylor would probably rather head east than west. WVU's experience with travel/scheduling in the Big12 is proof that joining a conference that is 1 hour behind you (Central Time Zone) or 900-1,5000 miles away is hard on their athletes. Imagine Baylor and TTU traveling back 2 time zones (Central to Pacific = 2 hour time difference) and 1,000-2,300 mile road trips. That's why Texas would rather play in an eastern conference.

I think schools like TCU, Baylor, and Texas Tech, along with Iowa State/WVU could be in deep trouble if Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, KSU, and Oklahoma State left the Big 12. I'm not too sure the Pac 12 would want schools like Texas Tech, Baylor, and even Oklahoma State (if Oklahoma left the Big 12 without them) without Texas and Oklahoma.

Maybe the remaining Big 12 schools would join up with the Mountain West or vice versa?

I agree that Texas and Oklahoma are the 2 programs most desired. I also think Kansas is desired because of their rich basketball history and being an AAU member school. Beyond those 3, the Big 10, Pac 12, and SEC have nothing really to get exited about and may most likely pass on them for membership. I also agree that KU/KSU and OU/OSU are package deals no matter what conference they land in.

Of the power conferences, I think the ACC and Pac 12 are the only conferences that would possibly take Texas, Baylor (or TTU or TCU), OU, OSU, KU, and KSU. I can't see the SEC or Big 10 doing so.

For those following Texas, here is a recent article talking about how the top officials at Texas are very "paranoid" about Texas A&M's success in the SEC. It is creeping into their decisions regarding a new Athletic Director. Could this potentially lead them to look away from the Big XII? It will be interesting to see. But the paranoia is real.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/col...-off-field.ece