Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by 33laszlo99 View Post
    The conference is on a "fixed income" from cable revenue for the next 13 years. They will have to maximize other revenue (signage, logo sales, home attendance, etc.). ...
    Who knows if there is money to be made in an ACC Network?
    Other revenue, like, say, an online digital network?

It's not a lot right now, and I don't know about its growth potential, but the convenience factor is big, I think. I was camping this weekend, and since all I had was my Android phone, I was struggling to get a video feed. But somebody mentioned that the ACC had an app, and for a one-time fee, you can get live video. $9 later, I was watching the game, with probably enough resolution that I could stream it to a TV if at home.

I don't know how much the ACC will pull out of their online wares, but it's a pretty good start.

Edit: Oh, and to the OP, good article.
    No trees were harmed in the making of this post. However, billions of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

I for one have always thought that Duke was going to be safe no matter what, because UNC would never leave them behind. UNC likes having Duke as a rival. Not so much because of the history between them, but because of the pretentiousness factor of UNC fans being able to claim such a high-profile academic school as their chief rival. UNC would jettison NC State before they would leave Duke.

Quote Originally Posted by jms41 View Post
    Thanks Hoo86. Interesting read.

I'm still concerned a bit about the relationship with ESPN. Miami-GT on ESPNU and FSU and VT playing decent conference opponents at noon, with one on a regional only network is not enough exposure. Meanwhile, really bad SEC games end up more often than not in prime time. Is there any hope of changing this or is the ACC hosed for the next decade (or whatever life of ESPN deal is)?
    Continued winning will improve the visibility of the ACC, and the timeslots will go along with that. The ESPN talking heads have been doing more talking up the ACC this season than before. During a good portion of the Ohio State-Northwestern game Brent Musburger and Kirk Herbstreet were talking about the improved play in the ACC this year and predicted Florida State to jump over Louisville in the polls. I've noticed this year that ESPN is talking much more about the ACC along with the SEC and a lot less about the Big XII than usual. I think the ACC is moving up the pecking order in the minds of the media this year. We aren't going to be the SEC, but it would be nice to be viewed as right behind them. Most of the consensus this year is putting the PAC12 right behind the SEC and the ACC third. I have to admit that I was impressed with Oregon's team.

Quote Originally Posted by HOO86 View Post
    Continued winning will improve the visibility of the ACC, and the timeslots will go along with that. The ESPN talking heads have been doing more talking up the ACC this season than before. During a good portion of the Ohio State-Northwestern game Brent Musburger and Kirk Herbstreet were talking about the improved play in the ACC this year and predicted Florida State to jump over Louisville in the polls. I've noticed this year that ESPN is talking much more about the ACC along with the SEC and a lot less about the Big XII than usual. I think the ACC is moving up the pecking order in the minds of the media this year. We aren't going to be the SEC, but it would be nice to be viewed as right behind them. Most of the consensus this year is putting the PAC12 right behind the SEC and the ACC third. I have to admit that I was impressed with Oregon's team.
    Will never be the SEC. They play by their own set of rules. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by gman86 View Post
    1) 10/19: FSU @ Clemson. All Clemson has to do is beat BC at home on SAT and this will be matchup of undefeated top-10 teams playing for division supremacy
    All Clemson has to do is avoid Clemsoning for just one more week! LOL.

4) an undefeated (Clemson, FSU, or Miami) playing an undefeated Louisville in the National Championship. ;^)

Quote Originally Posted by gman86 View Post
    ESPN will pimp the ACC when we start becoming nationally relevant again. A few games this season will be a good test:

1) 10/19: FSU @ Clemson. All Clemson has to do is beat BC at home on SAT and this will be matchup of undefeated top-10 teams playing for division supremacy. When has the ACC ever had that? Let the hype begin!

2) 11/02: Miami @ FSU. It's tall order for FSU to win at Clemson, but if they do... they get NCSU at home before hosting Miami. Miami plays @UNC and hosts Wake, both winnable games. Could we have another big ACC matchup of undefeated ACC heavyweights? If Miami is undefeated they should be close to top-10 also. (You can bet the ACC would love FSU to beat Clemson to setup this possibility!)

3) 11/09: Virginia Tech @ Miami. And while we are spitballing here... Lets just say Miami somehow wins at FSU and remains undefeated. If VT can keep winning (Pitt, Duke, @BC)... this becomes a HUGE game. Even if Miami loses to FSU... this matchup of top 20, 1 loss teams for the Coastal supremacy is a very good matchup.

In summary, if the ACC Big 4 (Clemson, FSU, Miami and yes... VT) can keep winning... they setup some awesome games against each other. ESPN hyped BigLeast games in the past when those teams were undefeated (LVille/WVu/Rutgers). If ESPN can hype those games... they can surely whip up a frenzy for the ACC. The key is for ACC teams not to lay an egg before these big matchups are played.